2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 09-26-2019, 01:14 PM

KrisB, hope you are feeling better. That purchase should help.

Don't you find it interesting that our stash often causes us trouble in that we feel the need to "buy" more fabric to go with what is already causing us trouble. A few months ago I got a free gift of a charm pack of Owls & Pals, the cutest pastel collection I have seen in a long time. I separated the "boy fabric" from the "girl fabric" and came up with 22 boy charms, and 20 girl charms. And of course I had nothing in my stash that even remotely matched. So after some perusing the internet I found that Fabric.com had the charms on clearance, and some of the yardage to match. So I bought another charm pack, and some green for the boy,, and some pink for the girl, costing me $100, but that will make 2 baby quilts, and probably some left. And I am proud to say I didn't buy anything else but the fabric for those 2 baby quilts.

I have all the parts for the Bellagio quilt sewn, now just have to find a suitable fabric for the on point setting, probably the sand color Kona I just bought. Just have to iron all the pieces I just sewed and it will be ready for assembly, after I get the This Way and That quilt off the big table.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
Well, that thud you may have heard was me falling off the wagon. Having completed about 7 UFOs, I was feeling very self-righteous. The allure of the remainder of the batiks for the JN Bali Wedding Star was irresistible (the Bali pops have been in my sewing room for two years). UPS will shortly be delivering a package. Almost ashamed to say it was over $200. So I am using last month’s birthday exemption and every other exemption any of you can invent. On the plus side, there are 7 fewer UFO’s at my house, on schedule to have none by the time we go to Tarpon Springs, and my two projects for the winter are all kitted up. And I found two backing pieces in the sewing chair for my small machine.

Or the thud may have been me fainting in the parking lot at the grocery store, hitting my head on the cart, then the asphalt, spending five hours in the ER getting an EKG, CT scan, chest and head X-ray, a gazillion lab tests, being informed that there is nothing wrong with me other than a tendency towards low blood pressure (and, thus, fainting), to stay out of sun and heat, and to sit down when I get dizzy.

Too bad it is so far from Halloween, Wouldn’t need a mask; right now my face is frightening enough.
Gosh, are you really serious about that fall? I'm so sorry. You are taking it much better than I would. Best to take it easy for awhile - good reason to do more quilting.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:12 PM

krisb, So sorry to hear about your fall. As I age, my fear of falling intensifies. We don't bounce right back up like we used to. Take care.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:01 AM

I'm having a difficult time going up and down bleachers at football/soccer/baseball games. Just not sure of my balance and if the steps are really under my feet LOL But, I still love going to these games.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:32 AM

Krisb, oh my goodness! That sounds terrible. I'm glad they checked you out thoroughly and you're ok!
Old 09-27-2019, 06:47 AM

Krisb, I am far more concerned about the fall than I am about the fabric!

Hope you feel better soon. Falls can be very hard on the body and spirit both.

Still working on cutting the sashing fabric for the juvenile/confetti quilt. I'm making notes to myself as I go although I don't typically duplicate projects, some stuff is good to know. Originally I didn't think it would matter on the size of my sashing prints and so I'm using 6-6.5" squares cut into 3" rectangles. Realized yesterday that with my block size the 6.5" cuts are exactly correct for 2 per block. Of course the blocks are all mixed up in the cuts now but I have a solution or at least a work around...

My math mind doesn't work as well as it once did and I've never based my quilting on precut squares before so I was having a hard time getting to the number of pieces I would need for the sashing. Thought about how I like to put on my sashing as an L shape -- I'll need two rectangles on each side of my juvenile focus fabrics (1 square), those will be trimmed down and don't need to be exact. Then I'll need two rectangles (another square) for the bottom, which ideally would be cut 6.5" and would exactly fit the 12" of block plus one side of sashing. I will need an additional 1 square for each of the top/side blocks sashing. So with 30 focus blocks as in my inspiration piece, I need 60+11 squares to do the sashing cut into rectangles.

Now, that I explained my mental exercise I should mention that the two rectangles per block will not cover that last column of sashing. I can either put in a half piece, or instead of putting on the sashing as an L around the block, I will put the horizontal strip on each row using the varied sizing making sure none of the block/seams intersect and not worry about it It's not like I don't have a spare bit of fabric or two around if I need an extra.

So today I need to pull an additional 30 or so squares or so and cut them in half. I'm allowing two squares of fabric (4 rectangles) and they can't be one of the focus squares.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Oh dear, what a way to "fall off the wagon" krisb. Hope the scary Halloween mask is gone before then and general stiffness and soreness all healed up.

Once I get the binding on I can count 18 yards of fabric gone from stash! Yippee.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:52 PM

Krisb, when I talk about falling off the wagon, I Don't mean a literal fall! Take care of yourself & let hug our new fabric purchase help you feel better.
On exemptions, I just returned from a motorcycle ride to Arkansas, but won't buy any fabric. The clutch burned out on my bike & I had to be towed off a mountain to the closest Harley dealer. With the cost of the tow, repairs, & 2 extra days & nights in Arkansas, I dont have $$ for fabric right now.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-27-2019 at 01:02 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 09-27-2019, 02:31 PM

Krisb....good grief....that sounds scary...Hope you aren't hurting too bad as a result. Happy they didn't find anything serious. Rest well...

Conchalea....bummer. Girl! Been there....done that on our Harley. Hate being stranded but that's part of the experience...or so they say. Lol.. Glad you made it home safely even tho your pockets are less weighty...

Went to to big quilt show today and didn't do too bad. Only focused on "good deals" since most vendors, that I have experienced, don't mark down for show prices. I bought a jelly roll, FQ bundle of homespun solids (gorgeous), a few FQ's, and a pattern book I've had my eye on for awhile for dirt cheap. I can remove it from my Amazon cart now. Lol.. All in all...not too bad..
Old 09-28-2019, 05:28 AM

Iceblossom: Very pretty projects!

Krisb: Ouch! Praying for a fast recovery.

Conchalea: Bummer! I’m glad you are safe and were able to find a tow to a Harley dealer.

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 09-28-2019 at 05:36 AM.