Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 36 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1201

Thread: 2019 Fabric Moratorium

I did buy some yardage on sale 50% off for a backing for a friend’s graduation quilt. Her boyfriend is moving away for graduate school and she may get a job near by. She lost her dad a few months ago so she is dealing with a lot of change. It was the right fabric and I hope this will be a quilt that will comfort her for many years. On sale it was about $6 a yard.

I did buy some cute fabric at a Memorial Day sale. I think I will turn it into a top. I am trying to sew some clothes now.

Ouch! That's the sound of Iceblossom falling off the fabric moratorium.

From another thread on the boards I decided to check out the sales at Walmart. Word is they are getting out of the cut yardage and there is lots of stuff for $1.00 a yard. Not so many at my store... but with 20-50 bolts left at the $1 price there was a lot of them left from the time period of the wonky brights. There wasn't anything I liked better to use as the border for the wonky bright project but I still bought what was left on 3 bolts -- 15 yards of fabric for $15, and a bunch of prepackaged strips and such for the crumb quilter at $1 a package, including 5 fat quarters for $1. Could have done a lot more stash building but that's not the chapter of my current life

Plus yardage to the stash, but the price was right!

Smaller group than normal at my Tuesday group, but we agreed that while the border fabric and the back are pretty awful together, they both go well with the binding. So good thing the back is the back and the front is the front! Should have pictures in a day or two.

Blog Entries
    My WM had a big watermelon bin full of bolts of fabric for $3 a yard, but it was pretty poor quality fabric for the most part. There were some juvenile prints that might have made good crib sheets, but since I am not in that phase of life anymore I passed on it. It might be down to a $ now but I will pass on it.

I have my brown/blue/natural quilt almost done, have 14 rows done. I decided to count what I have left since the 4 patches seem to outnumber the hatchets. I am about 80 short of hatchets if I want this to fit my queen size bed. So I found another layer cake of the miniature gatherings I'm using for the block, so I cut more 4 1/2" squares and rummaged around to find some more dark brown fabric to make the corner squares. I want to be able to mix the new blocks in with the other ones so it doesn't look too mishmash. I need to get it pretty much together by Thursday because my quilting friend is coming to stay for 3 days and needs to use the big table to lay out a couple of her quilts. Friday she wants to go shopping out in Amish country, so I am going to have to gird my loins to resist more fabric.

Ok, I've recovered from my fabric buying and am back to work after a couple of weeks of barely any progress on anything (other than watching tv...).

Today I prewashed and cut the borders for the wonky bright project, the rest of it goes into the crumb box but it is long, like 3 yards by 20-24". Still it works with these wild and crazy fabrics. Also made the binding out of the black & white and "highlighter" green fabric from stash. Will take picture after I put on the border probably between now and Tuesday, be prepared and have your shades close to the computer!

Still haven't picked a "real" project to work on next but I have a couple quick little donation projects I can whip out while I'm mulling over larger commitments.

Into the fabric store I went!!! I came out with what i wanted - 1/4 yard of sunflower print. I will try to pull the other seven fabrics needed from my stash, if not Hobby lobby will do. The bride to be is a sunflower freak, as is her mother, but decorates in shades of gray. I'm going to try to come up with gray and yellow. Green/yellow sounds so dated for a young person.

I was cutting out a quilt for which I had chosen a dark gray background some time ago. All of the fabrics other than the gray are pastel. As I looked at it, I thought that a lighter gray would have been so much prettier. Before the moratorium days, I'm sure I would immediately have gone to the computer to find and order a light gray. But since I am now moratorium-trained, I decided to sleep on it, and the next morning decided the dark gray would do. I suppose I'll wonder now how it would have looked with the lighter background, but I know one thing -- it will have good contrast!
    Lisa

Just returned from vacation. We went to Texas from Iowa for a family wedding. Stopped in Kansas City for the Quilt show loved looking at all the beautiful quilts and was able to resist buying anything as it was very crowded and didn't have unlimited time. We did stop at some shops on the way back and I acquired 3.5 yards of fabric two pieces that will make up into quick baby quilts and the other will make a good blender. My daughter has been hitting the Walmarts around town for the $1.00 fabric most of it will be cut into 5 in strips for the sew-in at the Iowa State fair. Our guild makes quilts at the fair for children's charities and some will be made into bags for Operation Christmas Child boxes so won't stay in the stash long. I finished piecing a quilt yesterday and we have a lot of rain in the forecast this week so may be able to get some more sewing done.

I know how hard it is to walk away from $1.00 fabric. I got lucky (for my moratorium goals) that by the time I saw my Walmart's clearance it was pretty much gone. Between that and missing the quilt show due to illness, I have stayed on the wagon - at least lately .
    Erin

Had to go to Hobby Lobby for 3 pieces - 1/8 yd each - for the spicy Spiral. The rest is from stash. I had lots of yellow, but only one piece of gray. So less than $2 and it will go from the washer to the cutting table so nothing added to stash. Works for me.

Playing with stash and scraps....avoiding quilt shops.....decided on a pattern for these and all from stash...including backing...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    Wow, those are great. congrats on shopping your stash.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Congrats to everyone on avoiding the stash packing trips and using as much as possible from the stuff we already have.

I resisted the Walmart sell-off completely (I hope!) I haven't gone to Walmart for the past few weeks for anything, and I haven't heard that our Walmart to eliminating their fabric department, so I've avoided temptation. I am planning to buy a big roll of batting from them on the internet using their free shipping to my house, so I won't go near the place until the danger is over!

Ooof! I am exhausted from breaking the fabric moratorium again, the thrift stores have been too generous.

Yesterday we went to different bowling lanes than usual since our normal place was having a fundraiser, so we stopped off at some different thrift stores. Got bags/yards worth of fabric and still left a lot behind! Two Windham digitally printed deer panels for $1.49 total. Two bags of about 6-10 yards of mixed mostly 80s stash, $3.99 each. Red tag day (half price) on a piece of vintage. More.

Today I went to the Goodwill I usually go to on Sunday, just in case the red tag Singer Sew Handy toy machine was still there (wasn't) and I got enough of a solar print for the back of a twin quilt that wasn't even on sale but was still less than $10.

And then finally on the way home, I stopped at the Joann Super Store. I pulled stash fabrics for one of the Simplish quilts I'm going to do and am about 5 rectangles too short from what I want, so I bought a half yard of fabric so I could use those others from the stash. No matter how much I have, it seems I'm always a piece short...

Since we went to that other bowling lane we also dropped by a different Walmart on Sunday. That one had already made the transition out of mostly yardage to mostly pre-cuts and nothing there was on sale. Even assortment packs that were discounted at other stores were still full price. Stay strong, SillySusan!

Edit:

What happy Hexes, Teen! This last week I did send out a box of polyblend hexes from the 70s to a different person on the board. Not from my stash though, one of my Tuesday ladies

Blog Entries
    I've been gone for a while and have missed lots of posts...Teen's got a good start on her flowers..good project for you while you wait!

Have a busy 2 weeks ahead, but plan on kitting up some baby quilts for the Grands to work on in mid July...will have 3 machines and 4 young sewers to stitch things together....better get started at fabric organization.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

I've been absent, too, Ok. It's summer camp season & I teach many weeks in the season. As a result of that, I haven't turned on my machined at all for a few weeks. The upside is I also havent had time to shop for fabric! So nothing has gone out, but nothing has come in, either.
    Teen, your hexies look great! I dont have patience for hand work like that. The only needle(s) I wield are knitting, or tapestry to weave in ends.

A week ago I got back three quilts from LAQ, all from stash. The next day a friend came for an extended visit to sew with me. We had one project in mind and did that completely from stash- and finished, too. The next day we did stop at a LQS I had not been to before. Wonderful shop and a few things from the weekly special came home with us. You had to buy 5 yards to get the discounted price but only 2 yds stayed at my house. I didn't even feel like I got off the wagon for more than a slight touch the ground as we went right home and started Paper Piecing (first time for me and she chose an intermediate online freebie pattern) with 28 pieces in the final block. I decided to make it completely scrappy with no repeats. So stash was flying and no more purchases so far. A slight bump.
    Last edited by AUQuilter; 06-26-2019 at 05:12 AM.

So here's the border on and binding made for the Wonky Bright project. That's my one "Caroline" square in the corner. Now wrapped up and waiting to be quilted...

I still haven't been willing to commit to a big project but I got out my Post Card blocks and laid them out. I always make extras in these collection quilts and I had almost enough and sizing worked out better to make a couple more blocks. I was proud of myself that I resisted buying some fabrics for this project after I declared it closed but now I wish maybe I had given in just a bit I was given a great piece at the Tuesday group and grabbed enough out of stash, just need to put the post card sized rectangles into their Attic Window set, and then sash the whole thing with black. And I have made progress now that I know how many blocks I will be using to cut the sashing.

So next up will be my first Simplish project. From back in my fabric swapping days around Y2K I had a bunch of jungle cats and other jungle prints and now it's time to use them. I'm putting it all together with leopard fabric and my name for it is "Here Kitty Kitty". I cut the rectangles and squares yesterday at Tuesday group. I was one fat quarter short of fabric and bought half a yard (couldn't find a good fq), but most comes out of long held stash.

After that I'm going to do a little preemie quilt from my Walmart finds. I bought some polka dots at $1 a yard and a couple of 2.5" strip precut packages that were also on close-out. Got the dimensions and extra instructions I need on the requirements and figured out what I'm doing. Not sure right now if it was from this thread or not, but it is just a jelly roll type of quilt but preemie sized.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Iceblossom, those are cheerful fabrics!

Hey, I passed 6 months with no fabric purchases, I'm at 206 days. Whew.

I've been packing a few things away into boxes stacked in a corner, to clear some space to get organized.

Hmm, always dangerous, digging through your stuff. Found a non-remembered jelly roll. Bright colors, fanciful flowers. decided it would work for a x and o quilt in my head, started cutting it. calculated fabric, dug through stash pulled some to suppliment it.

Found 3 packs of 6" charms. Kinda remember them. associated notes make fabric suggestions. I remember the noted fabrics, no idea where they are. Dug through the giraffe spinners for batiks to use as bright neutrals with the charms. I think I'll make a gigantic granny square quilt with the charms.

Then my mind wandered to backs...I like to be ready. In things set aside to pack up, found a batik that will work with the granny sq. Need a back for the jelly roll x & o quilt. I shopped. Yes, I did.

Woo Hoo!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-28-2019 at 12:43 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    I tried to add this, must have been on the outside limit of edit time.

Stash Report

517 yards purchased yes really dunno cannot explain it nowyou know why I had to start stacking some boxes in a corner
    Cut Down 85 yards
    gave away 32 yards
    Net Change plus 400 yards

Cut Down 32 yards
    gave away 32 yards
    Net Change minus 62 yards

Around 2014 I started looking at my fabric and thinking it was past time...ya know? to do something, anything. no cohesiveness to the stash, I bought fabric based on price and liking it, not as in I need reds in my stash. So, 2 yards this & that, all mish mash. I like scrappy quilts, but you cannot use up 2 yds of fabric in a scrappy quilt, a queen would only have 6-8 fabric in it, that's not really scrappy.

So, I made a list of about 20 quilts, and started cutting the 2 yard pieces in to bits for the 20 quilts. My UFO list is over in UFO thread, 14 of the pending 20 flimsies to quilt are on this cut-down list.
    Last edited by quiltmouse; 06-28-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Iceblossom: Very pretty quilt top. I have some of that pink and orange flowers fabric.
    Connie

Iceblossom that is a happy quilt.

quiltmouse I like the way you keep track of fabric in and out. I really should try that.
    Erin

Blog Entries
    I shopped. Yes, I did.

Woo Hoo!

A bit pertinent to this thread disappeared:

I shopped. Yes, I did.

I did not buy.

Woo Hoo!

Blog Entries
    Sis was here unexpectedly and we had a day to ourselves..Our road trip included a couple of antique shops...I found a small rocking cradle begging for a miniature quilt...and a fabric store i had long heard about...lots of fabric..saw 2 bolts of 36" cotton fabric. What a variety of choices in this small town. Oh and lots of backing pieces. Found some tiny prints perfect for use in my traditional minis (only 1/2 yard each of three) and a backing for a quilt that's in UFO land...but not for long now.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Sounds like you had fun, OK! I love hanging out with my siblings.. Found some good stuff on your adventure, too! Total win...

I still have leftovers from a FQ bundle..I've made several projects already so now I am making a quilt with the remains...but I think I'll end up with still leftovers. And, I'm still stitchin away on scrap hexi flowers. Only 14 more to go and I'll be ready to start quilt top.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 36 45 46 47 ... LastLast