2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-09-2019, 04:47 AM

I pop in out of this thread to get encouragement...I also saw the Bluprint Sale but I really don’t need any new projects at this time. I am following Sherri McConnel’s blog posts “Quilt Your Stash 2019” for some great tips. I just finished a Warm Wishes crib quilt and found the perfect binding fabric in my stash. I love it when that happens.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:23 AM

Just checked her blog and found some great ideas! Thanks for the info.
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I pop in out of this thread to get encouragement...I also saw the Bluprint Sale but I really don’t need any new projects at this time. I am following Sherri McConnel’s blog posts “Quilt Your Stash 2019” for some great tips. I just finished a Warm Wishes crib quilt and found the perfect binding fabric in my stash. I love it when that happens.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:43 AM

I have heard many speak of the fabric one can find in thrift stores and goodwill. I have never shopped for fabric there before but, for the moment, I'm going to avoid them. Lol...

Conchalea....lovely quilt....I Really love the fabrics...

i'm still holding strong tho it's killing me right now since all my stash is boxed up. I have some projects I can work on that I saved for this purpose but I have a pattern I Really want to start but need my stash for it. I'm going to have to turn on the creative juices a work with what I have for now. You'all need to hang on to my ankles and drag me from the edge of wagon.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Teen, I think you deserve a dispensation...you must be able to keep your sanity while you wait. It's not like your stash is accessible.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:15 AM

Wonderful wall hanging, Conchalea, and great use of stash!

Teen, you are in a tight space right now. How brave you are for not giving in to temptation! Be strong!
Old 02-09-2019, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the compliments on my wall hanging. I enjoyed placing the small geese but I was tired of the size when I got through. I’ll post a picture when I finish sewing the top made from all the rest of those blocks.
Teen, I think I agree that your situation is unique & we don’t want you to get desperate & do something crazy. Buy a bit of fabric to play with.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:47 PM

Conchalea: Very pretty quilt. I really like your flying geese corners.

My sewing mojo slowed down this week but I did work as a substitute teacher for 3.5 days and I am tired when I get home. I did finish sewing rows together on a top today and have 2 more sides to do for the first border and then need to add the final border. I will put the top away then until I feel I have practiced enough with machine quilting designs before I attempt to quilt it.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:50 PM

My quilty friend and I are back from a day of sewing at our LQS. We are exhausted, but we accomplished a lot. There were 8 of us all together, some were on the Paducah trip with us last September. I got the center of the BOM together, and bought backing for it. I needed 9 yards and there was 9 1/4 yards on the bolt so I got it all. I am proud that I didn't buy anything else.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:56 AM

I'm sort of in-between projects right now, I want to quilt/sew but I don't know quite what to do. Earlier today I sorted out my strip box, took out everything smaller than 2.5" to put in my box of crumbs (I have a person on the board who gets them). Then I sorted the remaining 2.5" cut strips into two piles, light and dark. Going to make "flying squares", basically a 9-patch with an added row around each side of a neutral and a single square. Mine will be scrappy, the 9-patches will be purely scrappy, so no light/dark corners, just random. The neutral will be a piece of white on white I have in the stash. Here's a 2-color diagram/instructions:
http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/quilt-...es-quilt-block

The other thing I have to mindlessly sew is a baggie full of tiny little pieces of fabric I got in a box from an estate sale. The colors/fabrics go together and I think were to be handsewn as little triangles (they are small rectangular pieces with a finished sized triangle in pencil), me, well I got inspired from this thread and picked up some adding machine tape at the goodwill and am ready to do something grand. I hope! Check out Huntannette's pictures in this thread:
I don't get what the 'reciept' is for when making string quilts

BTW, if I do the adding machine tape I'm not going to count it as an UFO, it is merely prepared fabric waiting for it's turn
Old 02-10-2019, 08:59 AM

Great ideas here. Conchalea, pretty quilt from your leftovers. I have been using Huntannette's adding machine paper process since she posted it and I was able to snag some paper at a thrift shop. I use it to expand my backings but now revisiting her pictures there are some other ideas I forgot. Thanks Iceblossom for the reminder.