Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38 47 48
Results 1,176 to 1,197 of 1197

Thread: 2019 Fabric Moratorium

What a fun quilt, retired. The bride to be sent me a picture of the table runner. She must have transported in the heat. It laid flat when it was finished. She and groom to be liked it. Name:  Gabrielle's runner.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  119.1 KB

Blog Entries
    It looks like stained glass to me. retiredT, but I can see a box of crayons, too.

Doesn't it make you feel good, when a gift is appreciated.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Well, I left my Tuesday group with more fabric than I brought to share. Mostly smaller pieces but yardage too. That's part of what we do is redistribute our stashes to each other. Also, the hostess gave me the appropriate batting for the twin preemie quilts.

I had already decided to add a 4" border around the Here Kitty Kitty top which made it too big for the fabric I was originally going to use for the back and for the 2nd and 3rd choices too. I have a paw print pantograph design I will use to quilt paw prints with tan thread around the edges of the quilt and will do a paw print meander in the center. The black border will help tie in the black sashing.

While digging out a potential back for one of the ladies I found not one but two pieces that would be perfect for the back. Except then one of the other ladies had a big bag of flannels, enough for backs and there is a great cheetah/leopard print plenty big enough for the back so now I have to make some decisions!

At group I started pinning on my black sashing to my post card quilt, I started cutting it last week but I lost count over the week and decided it would be easier to count the blocks left over than deal with those sticky pieces of black and my vision. I'll be cutting the borders for the Kitty quilt along the length of the black, and can finish cutting the sashing rectangles out of what's left. The black and white yardage was what I bought at the end of last year, always good to have it in the stash.

Right now I have one of the heavily gold embellished fabrics from the Value Village bag in the wash to see how it turns out. The answer is usually just fine. The cut on the folds is the more or less standard 2 yards, it varies a bit by region but they are sold in those lengths so they can be used as wraps in various ways around the body/hair/baby for males and females both. I threw in an old pair of pants I don't care about to see how much transfer come off.

I have this idea for a very modern quilt (very different than my usual stuff) that is a lot of black/blank space and metallic fabrics. I have some small square panels from the Cat-I-tude line by Benartex I'll be using. I had already made some stack and whack/OBW blocks from a black and metallic fabric, but I grabbed the wrong ruler and made octagons instead of the more walnut-shaped hexagons that I wanted. I've been trying to convince myself to go ahead and use them but was unhappy. So now I'll make some hexes and see if I'm any happier. The print is so busy I don't think it's really suited for the treatment, but the border is fine for it and I only want a few blocks. Maybe I can make some small non-pieced hexes out of the thicker print area, I will be able to use a tiny bit in another area of the quilt. I can still use the rest of the original fabric for what I wanted.

Not much sewing or shopping planned for the next couple of weeks, my best friend from High School is coming down from Alaska for a visit. I need to get the house nice. We won't be doing anything special, just visiting. Sometimes that feels good

The heavily gold embellished fabric washed even better than I had hoped!

No loss of dye or transfer. It came out less stiff and much more supple and therefore more usable than I expected.

I don't have any fully formed plans yet but for "up coming" (like next year) stash projects I will be working with Civil War repro fabrics and (separate projects!) metallic prints. Been pulling them out of the general stash and putting them in their own collection boxes, these will be usable for those and gives me more to to think about as well as yardage to use

Personally I find too much gold embellishment sticks to me when it is hot and humid but I don't have any problems with minor amounts of metallics. I used to have a tag line about "if you can't wrap a sick child in it then it's not a quilt", I'd have to wrap the child up with the back side touching the skin.

Blog Entries
    Close to closing time a quilter friend's hubby walked into the shop with a white bag full of rwb fabrics. Scraps from a QOV project. They small group were already dealing with leftovers and decided they didn't want anymore small pieces. I did get them size sorted last night. Several 2" and 2 1/2" strips as well as chunks for me to cut down.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Sounds like some good quilting going on, with some people replenishing their stash without spending $$! But it seems like there are plans for most of that influx of fabric, so good job! I have driven right by Joann's every afternoon this week, on my way home from summer camp. I'm not even tempted to stop, both because of the wretched heat (index over 105 this week) & the equally horrifying traffic! I'm having to drive one of Austin's worst-congested roads & can't wait to get home! So I havent even been tempted to stop.

retiredt, what a great looking quilt! It makes me think of jewels underground.

Irishrose, that is lovely color gradation in your table runner!

I have been out of it with pneumonia, but close to getting over it now. Eager to get back to my kitting up quilts project as well as the En Provence I've been working on.

Everyone sounds so busy and energetic!
    Lisa

Awww..joe'smom...so sorry you've been ill but good to hear you are recovering. That pneumonia is some scary stuff. Healthy vibes being sent your way...

I'm bouncing between two quilt projects....so unlike me. Haha... Finding time to sew a bit at a time. I have all the stash needed for projects so that is helpful. Been so busy picking out stuff for the house. Met with the cabinet contractor this week and designed all the cabinets. Next week, lighting and appliances. So fun...
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Whooo! That was close. I've been working with my black fabric cutting sashing for Postcard Project and decided I better cut those borders for the Here Kitty Kitty top -- wish I did that a day or two before now. Cutting along the length I had exactly 0.5" extra from my black yardage using butt joints. I prefer the diagonal joint, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

The borders do indeed help the black sashing and I'm happier with the wider option I chose even though it meant using a different fabric than planned for the back. Everything is still from stash so the good news is it is getting used!

Ok, so I will have to buy another piece of basic black for the stash, but for me that's like having salt for the kitchen.

Thanks for the compliments.

Irishrose2: Very nice table runner.

oksewglad: It’s so hard to say no to those scraps.

joe’smom: I’m so glad you are recovering.
    Connie

Here Kitty Kitty border is on and I am just divided over which back to use. I have 4 usable, these are my top two and both come from stash. I would also be using it for the binding. Please weigh in on the decision!

So we have green jungle print cotton or orange wild cat flannel. Both are easily big enough. I like the jungle print because it brings in the jungle squares. I like the flannel because -- well, it's fun and will I ever have a better use for it than this project? The flannel is high quality, it isn't one of those thin scratchy costume weight, it is garment weight.

Second picture is of the quilting design (panto by Debra Geissler) from my MiL's Cat quilt, I will be using it in tan thread along the black border and a related paw print meander in the center.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Irishrose that's lovely.

Iceblossom the cat print quilting will work wonderfully in your quilt. Please show us when you're done.

I'm hoping to get some photos here in the next several days as I have finally figured out how to do it without asking grown sons for help.
    Erin

Iceblossom....pretty kitty quilt.

Irishrose....very cool runner.

I finished all my blocks on my daisy quilt and almost done with 4P for my hexi quilt. I need to finish at least one this weekend...we'll see.
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Name:  20190713_163056[845] (3).jpg
Views: 109
Size:  1.70 MB

Name:  20190713_164445[849] (3).jpg
Views: 112
Size:  1.78 MB

Glad I can finally reciprocate and show you a few of my quilts. Scraps and backing came from stash.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Erin

Oops That last one shouldn't have been on there. It's my scrappy Irish chain but the fabric is from stash too!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-13-2019 at 04:37 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Erin

Oh wow, Elly....these are gorgeous!! I love the crazy patch triangle....very creative.... A lot of work in these. Fantastic Quilting, too. Great job!

Elly: Great looking quilts!

I used some flannel stash in a receiving blanket and 2 burp cloths that will be part of a baby gift for a great niece tomorrow. Every little bit that goes out the door feels good.
    Connie

Those are gorgeous Elly!
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Thanks for you kind words everyone.
    Erin

Blog Entries
    I spent a few days cutting out 64 pillowcases for my friend's charity. Only 5 yards came from a recent purchase, the rest was all stash, so that was about 60 yards from the stash. Next time I plan to make kids pillowcases I will have to buy fabric because I used up all of what I had. I still have plenty of blenders for the border and flange, though. I never seem to run out of that.

Grann of 6 that's a lot of stash fabric used! How nice of you to make those for the charity and your friend.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-15-2019 at 07:27 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Erin

Blog Entries
    Thanks, I have been doing this for my friend for about 5 years or more, first year I made 100. I may make more closer to Christmas, but it was a good project to start on when we had so much stormy weather and unable to use the sewing machine.

Everyone has been doing great on their quilts, love all the pictures. I am itching to start an Irish Chain like the one on the Irish Chain thread. I have a jelly roll of 30s repro that has been waiting for a project for it, and I think the Irish Chain is the one. I have backing and plenty of background whites to choose from.

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38 47 48