2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 04-20-2019, 01:48 PM

Awesome, ckcowl!! That is a big project and so cool you have majority of what you need. Good profit for you!! I love that pattern, too. So pretty...a lot of work. Good she gave you the time needed....good luck!

Mary Christine...you did good if you only needed to buy to finish a project. All good!!
Old 04-21-2019, 03:40 AM

Everyone is doing a great job using their stash. Everyone but me. I haven't bought any fabric lately, but I also haven't used any since I finished the lap quilt for my friend almost 2 weeks ago. No-I've been knitting & crocheting instead. I have many WIPs & UFOs in my yarn collection so I'm trying to reduce those & get a few FOs. I say that, but I also started a new cowl & a new sweater. Crazy since it's spring & our days are too warm for sweaters. My crafting takes turns like that-almost all quilting in 2018 & now very little of it. I have a few PIM, but that's as far as I've gotten with them.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:44 AM

I've been working on my purple quilt as part of the virtual quilting weekend, but real life has been getting in the way of sewing which is not necessarily a bad thing. Yesterday we had a lovely day, took my mom out to surprise lunch since there won't be a family get together today, we also helped her with adjusting her cable controllers to work the TVs instead of using a different controller for on/off. Then after we got back from that we went to a bonfire a friend of the hubby was having. It was a nice day, started out cold and looking like rain but ended up nice in the late afternoon.

Today I have some more sewing to do, I'm finishing up pinning the white-on-white fabrics together. I already know I had a couple of pieces inside out from when I drew lines on them, but I think I've done a really good job other than those to keep them right side up. Any that are inside out are staying that way. Goal for today is to sew and press them, if I'm ambitious I may start adding the final colored piece to each unit so I can start pinning the quarter units at Tuesday group -- but the reality may be that I will be pinning on the colors there.

Hubby is catching the allure of thrift store shopping and is understanding why I go regularly... He's lost so much weight over the past year (over a hundred pounds lost!! last year alone) and for the first time in basically all his life he is starting to care about his clothes. He is just as gleeful when he finds a brand new pair of Wranglers or a shirt in his size with the store tags still attached as when I find a piece of vintage fabric. BTW, that abstract football piece is almost 4 yards! and I've taken apart the quilt project but haven't prewashed it yet. Found a selvedge that the main piece is Michael Miller, I think the others are from the same line or are at least similar quality, they go in color and style with the big bag of scraps I bought a month or so back but have a plan to use. So there may be buying temptations put in front of me today, I shall try to stay calm and not buy.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Having a cuppa before I get real in dinner preparations..local big box store is closing and I bought 2 fleece minky type throws to use as backings...one 72 x 90, the other 90 x 108. I'm figuring 5 yards of minky backing for $36 compared to $110 of 90" fabric...no brainer in my book and these will be used for family members not donations.

Happy Easter all.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:54 AM

Hi Ckcowl, and congrats on finding so much fabric from stash to make that special quilt!

Hi Iceblosson, its so nice that your hubby enjoying thrift shop shopping. This could be a wonderful fun together time for y'all. Maybe you could tell him to remind you not to add too much to that stash!
Old 04-21-2019, 07:12 AM

Oh, he's totally an enabler in my thrift store shopping even fabric. Last week I had already gone through the dishes but he's taller and found a spoon rest in my Pfaltzgraff design that I didn't see -- and didn't yet have in my collection!

It is good that he sees that I don't buy everything and anything and am actually quite discriminating on what I bring home. But when I'm deciding between buying this piece of fabric or that piece, he's all about get both. He's a good man, hard worker if not a high wage earner, loves me and wants the best for me. So lucky we met playing a game on the internet! This year will be 15th legal wedding anniversary and it just keeps getting better and better.

I have a theory that whatever unlikely thing it is you want, put it on your list and look for it and eventually you will find it. Helps that I live in the greater Seattle area, an affluent part of the country, but it is amazing what I get... I got a bowling ball of a good weight and a good drill for my hand in a bag for $6.99! Would have been about $100-300 new just for the ball. There have been at least a hundred balls I rejected but I found the one I wanted

Most of my serving pieces of my dishes have come from the thrift stores. I don't know all the imprints and symbols and such but I do know there are differences for collectors. Mostly I use them so don't care too much, but I don't buy the mass-produced sets pieces (they are thinner, use decals and not painted/imprinted), just the open stock ones.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:17 AM

I am using up my 2 1/2" square inventory...I have about 500 hexi's I EPP'd in the last couple of weeks. Probably about 200 more EPP papers available. Still undecided on quilt style for them but I just keep making them...lol.. Something will inspire me.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:23 AM

I was so good for the first three months of the year as I was trying to finish UFOs and not buying any fabric. I thought I'd fallen off the wagon in the past two weeks but, having read the rules on page 1, I think I'm doing okay. I have a log cabin workshop to attend on Thursday. The class requirements states yardage of four different fabrics, but I'm going scrappy, so it's almost entirely stash. Next month, I'm doing a curved bargello workshop. This requires six different fabrics in each of five different colours. Again, most of the fabric is from the stash.

Hope it's not too late to wish you a happy Easter.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:38 AM

Pearl40, there arent really hard & fast rules here. It's just a thread to make us more mindful in what we buy. Buying fabric to fill the need for a project is fine. Buying fabric to hoard & pet & croon 'my precious' to is what we're trying to avoid. Use it before we lose it! Some people have had floods & other disasters that destroyed fabric collections. Then it helps no one. So enjoy using the fabric you have, but get what you need to complete a project, by all means!
Old 04-22-2019, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I am using up my 2 1/2" square inventory...I have about 500 hexi's I EPP'd in the last couple of weeks. Probably about 200 more EPP papers available. Still undecided on quilt style for them but I just keep making them...lol.. Something will inspire me.
I'm sure it will. Sewing them into hexi's is very relaxing in itself ..can't wait to see what you come up with!

I think the word "mindful" comes up in defining my buying habits..mindful...do I need it? mindful...will it help finish a project..