Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 18 58 67 68 69 LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 1705

Thread: 2019 Fabric Moratorium

Blog Entries
    Well, I tripped over the Bluprint email, and ordered 10mini cones of Pima thread in colors that I need for quilts. And I figured I might as well be totally bad and bought 2 Boundless FQ packs, 20FQs for $23. They will round out some stuff I already have.

I have quilt #52, the Summer Breeze 4 corners quilt, on the longarm and plan to get that done today, and load another one. I have 3 more waiting for quilting, and I think, 4 that need backing made, or patches sewn together. So I should be up to 60 by the end of the year. I've made 2 of last year's Bluprint bargains, so I am making progress.

Blog Entries
    Wow 60 quilts...what progress grann of 6.

Glad to hear the mojo is coming back Rob.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Blog Entries
    You are one busy quilter! It is hard, I know from experience, when you have to purchase something to round out what you need for a project. Here's to 2020 and doing much better!

Blog Entries
    One trick I have taught myself is that I set up the longarm to quilt a design (computerized) and then I sit in my little back bedroom and piece blocks while listening for the sound of bobbin running out so I can run out and change it. I can go back and forth between the rooms checking on "Bob". This is part of my "exercise program". So I am doing 2 things at once, and this is how I can make so many quilts. Then a dedicate a day to going to the basement sewing studio to trim quilts for binding, and piece the blocks into a top. I have a Juki industrial straight stitch machine that I use for putting on borders and sewing long seams in backings, making the process speedy. We all find tricks that work for us. I get distracted easily so I try to keep a variety of projects going that I can switch to if I get tired of doing one thing. Since most of my quilts are for charity I use easy and quick patterns.

Blog Entries
    So where is everyone? And has the new thread started? I fell prey to some Bluprint bargains, and a couple other things that I have plans for. But I haven't gone shopping in a fabric store in months.

I have been busy with my tiny little Bonnie Hunter units Got those done yesterday so today was working on putting together the Cherry Goose project. Sewing the rows together now as I decide what to do with the borders.

Still no new fabric, but I was given a gift certificate! Woohoo, I can look at and get some new fabric and I will.

The hot water heater was fixed Monday before Thanksgiving. The car was finally ready Wednesday before Thanksgiving and came in under the estimate! Which should leave me budget for taking the Bernina into the shop.

Last year I went to something like 4 Goodwills on Black Friday, didn't do it this year. I did pick up a small bag of fabric at the Goodwill on Sunday after our bowling date. For $4.99 I got about 2+ yards of fabric, not the best deal but they are very nice, a Moda and some metallic embellished Asian fabrics to go with the other stack of them.

Otherwise, no sewing or fabric related purchases. I did get a new stockpot to replace the aluminum canning kettle I completely trashed with boiling those hand dyes, I declared it no longer safe for food. And I am planning on getting my next quilting related t-shirt, "It's all fun and games until the bobbin runs out". zomg, it was never that big an issue for me before I started sewing with the Bernina with it's extra large bobbin and warning sensors and such. I have run out (and kept sewing) 4 times in the last week now that I switched to the little Brother!
    Quilters: Advanced tool using humans.

Blog Entries
    I haven't started anything new yet, still trying to finish up things. I have 3 quilts prepped for binding, which my friend does. I have one more to trim up and find binding fabric for. I thought I had a good binding fabric for it, but if I do it is hidden behind something else, requiring me to unload the front of the closet to search out what is behind. I have 2 baby quilts ready to quilt, and another of mine, the Bellagio is also ready for quilting. When I get these things done I can embark on a new project.

My family doesn't do Christmas gifting anymore, so that leaves me free to do what I want.

I bought fabric for 14 pillowcases yesterday. Why more fabric when I have plenty? Nothing appropriate for young ones in my stash. I can assure you it will out of the house by Dec 24!!! Now to stay home enough to work on them. I had a car accident and broke a tooth - they may be related - last week, so that means more app'ts. Oh, and I bought 24" of fabric for a small tree skirt - there is nothing silver in my house, so that's also on the to do list.

Blog Entries
    Irish Rose, sorry to hear about the car accident and the broken tooth. Hope everything gets taken care of quickly and easily.

Well, pillowcases are a horse of a different color. I make pillowcases every year for my friend's charity, made 55 this year. I have used all my kids fabrics, so this next year I will have to buy. And you have to have "just the right fabric" for a Christmas tree skirt. So you are safe as far as i'm concerned.

Irishrose2, so sorry to hear about your accident!

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Irishrose2, sorry about the accident—those teeth can hurt!
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Irishrose: So sorry to hear about your accident and tooth. I hope you can take the time to heal.
    Connie

The tooth was rebuilt today - I picked up a rod into my jaw, but it went well. The neck and left trap need one more chiropractor visit and I plan on being good to go. Hips hurt a little, but nothing debilitating. My pretty little Buick Encore isn't so pretty anymore.
    Thank you all for healing thoughts. Mothers/grandmothers/great grandmothers can't be down at Christmas time.

Blog Entries
    Boy, it sounds like you and the Buick got pretty beat up. Hope you heal fast and get a new car or this one fixed. Can't be without wheels.

Well, while I was laying in bed at 5AM, being too early to get up, I remembered some FQs that I have somewhere of oriental type fabric. I'm not big on the oriental stuff, but they were given me, and I think they would work well for this quick quilt pattern that was also given me. The block is big, ends up being about 14 1/2", uses a 9 1/2", a 4 1/2" X 9 1/2", and a 4 1/2" X 14 1/2" with 1 1/2" sashing between. The block goes amazingly fast, and will work well for charity quilts. And I think I also have some gold embellished pieces that came in a grab bag I got last year before moratorium days. So I am going to hunt them up and maybe make another top. Anything going out and nothing coming in is a good thing.

Blog Entries
    Ouch...Irishrose2...hope you are on coming along okay.

Just finished putting together pin cushion kits for our guild members. A couple of gals have extra walnut shells so they are donating the fill. Believe it or not the 27 kits equal more than 1 1/2 yards of scrap fabric. I constructed the top of the pc using this pattern. All the members have to do is sew around it, turn, fill and stitch it closed.

https://www.laundrybasketquilts.com/...incushion.html
    Last edited by oksewglad; 12-05-2019 at 06:33 AM.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Blog Entries
    That is adorable, Ok. I rarely use pins, mostly the little clips, if I use anything. But it sure makes a cute gift.

I am quilting the baby quilts I made from charms of Owls and Pals, a boy one and a girl one. I am just doing a simple meander so they are going fast. Babies don't care about a fancy design, and I am all about swift and easy. My friend will bind them. I have two big quilts to do on the longarm too, later on or tomorrow for those. So far this puts me at 56 quilts for the year, will probably get to 60 if I finish the ones that are ready to be put together.

Irishrose, so sorry to hear about your accident. I get teased about it but I've been a fan of Buicks since I was in my 30s. If you are going to be in an accident, they are good cars.

I have bad teeth and sooner than later it will be time for all of them to go. Recently a piece came off the back of one of my front teeth -- that's probably the sign.

I'm putting together the last couple of seams on the Cherry Goose project and will need to figure out something to work on along side the mystery quilt project. I rarely make the same project twice, but maybe I'll do this in another very different set of fabrics. All I know is it will be stash!

Even the little Buick is a tough vehicle. I tangled with a big 4x4 truck - he tried to beat me to the roundabout when I had the right of way, and only damaged the fender and bumper. It is still driveable and goes in the 26th for repair. Years ago, a big truck pulled out in front me on the highway. Both my Buick LeSabre and the truck were totaled. My son, who was a police officer for eight years, made me promise to never buy anything except a Buick. He bought me the Encore two years ago - I haven't told him about the accident yet. I drove LeSabres from 1987 to 2017, so I know what you mean - they were great cars.
    Last edited by Irishrose2; 12-05-2019 at 08:48 AM.

Oh yeah, last Buick was a LeSabre, I'm in the slightly smaller Century now. On my budget I can't afford car payments or new cars and so I get a nice used Buick every 10 years or so. The current one was truly the little old lady who only drove it to take the other ladies out to lunch once a week. It was her last car, and with my vision issues it will probably be my last car and it's still doing great. I think it is 2002? But still only has 77k miles on it (32k when I got it), most everything I do is within 5 miles of home with occasional road trips. So yeah, two sensors went out -- she's almost 20 years old!

I traded in a 2003 LeSabre Limited with 150,000 miles in it for this one. The car was in great shape and the motor was excellent, but it was having brakes and wheel bearings, etc. After his marriage, my son moved to Kentucky and wanted me have a dependable car if he couldn't be here to help, so he bought me the Encore. I raised that one right!!! I recently told him that it doesn't match my hair any more - The car is River Rock and my hair was light auburn. Now my hair is white in front and mixed grays in the back. He told me I wasn't getting a new car - it coordinates instead of matching now.

Today, came across another easy/fast pattern for charity quilts. And it works with 1/2 yd pieces. Have fabrics to use for 2 more quilts with this pattern.

Just kitted 2 quilts using stripes, was having a hard time finding a pattern for stripes.

Irishrose...hope you are doing better. That was quite the mishap. And, your son sounds amazing. Lucky girl!

oksewglad....love that pincushion....what a fun project for your guild to do.

petthefabric...I like using stripes for binding but can't wait to see what you create with them.

I had a huge bag of scraps from about 4-5 quilts that I never did anything with after projects ended so tonight I sorted it and cut in to 2 1/2 squares and strips, 2 1/2 X 3 1/2 rectangles, and 1" strips for mini 9P's. Feel better now that it isn't staring at me anymore...lol..
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teen View Post
    Irishrose...hope you are doing better. That was quite the mishap. And, your son sounds amazing. Lucky girl!

oksewglad....love that pincushion....what a fun project for your guild to do.

petthefabric...I like using stripes for binding but can't wait to see what you create with them.

I had a huge bag of scraps from about 4-5 quilts that I never did anything with after projects ended so tonight I sorted it and cut in to 2 1/2 squares and strips, 2 1/2 X 3 1/2 rectangles, and 1" strips for mini 9P's. Feel better now that it isn't staring at me anymore...lol..
    Thanks..how are you going to use the 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 rectangles? And sweet little 9P's..love them.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Quote Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
    Today, came across another easy/fast pattern for charity quilts. And it works with 1/2 yd pieces. Have fabrics to use for 2 more quilts with this pattern.

Just kitted 2 quilts using stripes, was having a hard time finding a pattern for stripes.
    You are industrious! What is the name of the pattern? I'm always looking for easy patterns for the prayer quilts I make, and I'm tired of jelly roll ones. I found this website that has a bunch of free easy patterns. https://www.woodvalleydesigns.com/fr...57672119140625 I've made the Oh So Sweet and Simple one several times with various prints.
    Last edited by Belfrybat; Yesterday at 06:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    Well, I have been cutting up FQs for a Bluprint quilt from last winter's shopping craze. I needed 4 3/8" which drives me crazy. I was fighting with my Omnigrid ruler with the yellow markings, which was fine, but I have discovered they tend to be warped and are sliding around on me. So I gifted myself with a set of square rulers going from 2 1/2- 7 1/2" from Amazon. My plan is to eventually have all Creative Grids, just love them. I think all the omnigrid rulers will go to Goodwill, for someone who is not so fussy. Ask any handyman, he will tell you you need the right tools for the right job.

Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 18 58 67 68 69 LastLast