2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-25-2019, 07:33 AM

Well, I did buy a huge piece of Judie Rothermel civil war type fabric at the Goodwill for $3.99, it must be 6 yards. That is inspiring me to do something with my Civil War fabrics so I've started sorting them out of their color boxes and into a theme box. Trying to think of something to do that is not Dear Jane, I want scrappy but not necessarily sampler. From back in my swapping days I have a bunch of 10" squares, maybe about 50 or so in civil war. One of the ladies in my small group has a nice project but I don't want to copy it directly, it's basically a 9-patch set in a churn dash, and then the whole thing is set on an angle by large corner triangles.

I sent off one large flat rate box of gift fabric to someone on the board who sounded like they needed more fabric in their life, and today I will mail the first collector request from this thread. Unfortunately, it's just the tiny sized flat rate box so not such a dent in my collection, but hey -- it helps keep them from buying and it makes me more organized so it's all good!
Old 01-25-2019, 05:53 PM

I am so impressed with how everyone is doing. I haven't purchased any fabric but did accept a box of orphans blocks and small quilt top for the prayer quilts I make. I don't consider that adding to stash as they will go out within a month of coming in.
Jmoore -- I love your Arkansas Crossroads. Mine is controlled blue/ green as I have a friend in mind to send it to. Over half the blocks are put together so hopefully I'll finish it this weekend and take a pic. But it didn't make much dent in my scraps.
I signed up for the Sparrow Quilts 50 blocks in 50 days. One of the blocks is so very simple and I might make a quilt from it using a larger print. It's #12 Squared up on their website: https://sparrowquiltco.com/. BTW if you sign up for the patterns they send all the ones they've already published which is very nice.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:32 PM

Went to class for my 1 mo old new machine at LQS. Spent a bunch of $$. Mostly attachments to make life with the machine more enjoyable. I bought 2 pieces of fabric. One has a definite use planned. I'm wanting to grown in the art quilt, using ink, paint, ink pens, etc and this second piece of fabric is black/white that I'm thinking will be part of this new endeavor. It was a very controlled choice. This isn't rationallizing and it wasn't my historically uncontrolled splurge of $$$ and 20+ yds. It's something like when on a diet, you don't quit eating, but change how you eat. I'm still working this out in my mind. Opinions welcome.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:54 AM

Everyone is doing so well. What I love about this thread is how, when any one of us falls off the wagon, we own it, which means we are all putting more thought into what we choose to buy.

My son's GF asked me to make her a robe to wear at the hospital when she gives birth next month, then asked if I could make an outfit for the baby out of the scraps. She brought me all of 4 yards of 44" wide fabric! I got the robe done, but there were no scraps, lol.

So, off I went to the fabric store today. I bought exactly what I needed to make the baby a gown, a jacket, and a pair of pants. I didn't even look at the wall of quilting fabrics. I still felt a small urge to grab up a remnant or five, but it passed quickly.

My stash is now down to what would probably be two bookshelves, so I'm still a ways to go on my goal of getting all of my stash and UFOs down to just one bookshelf. But at least I haven't added to it this year. At least not yet, anyway.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:00 AM

Our members are doing well with “mindful” shopping! It’s great to read of the restraint people are practicing. I know it’s difficult to do so when you go to a fabric store & there’s so much on display.
I have only bought the backing for the quilt I finished last week, but another one looms on the horizon. I started another quilt yesterday, Surprise Pinwheels I believe is the name, from a MSQC tutorial. I had some FQs & strips my daughter gave me left from a project she did a few years ago. I cut them yesterday, all but one FQ, & have enough coordinating pieces for 20 blocks. Those pieces added up to 1 1/3 yards, & the WOW for the blocks (from my stash) is 1 yard. I may have to buy binding as well as backing because I don’t know if I have a coordinating fabric left now. That will be determined once I sew all the blocks & decide on a layout. So I’m busting the stash, 1 project at a time. This will probably be a lap quilt for the daughter who gave me the fabric.

Last edited by Conchalea; 01-26-2019 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Corrected measurements
Old 01-26-2019, 05:38 AM

I think it is wonderful how we "strangers" in life can find an invisible bond and support one another in our struggles. My son dropped over yesterday, and was perusing my sewing studio in the basement and commented on how organized I am, with projects in artbins and the closet shelves so organized. It felt good for a non-quilter to recognize my achievements. I also showed him my latest project... the king size quilt for a friend who is going through a difficult time in her life. I am proud to say that I used 3 jelly rolls From The Stash, 4 yards of batik for the setting triangles and first border From The Stash, and 10 yards of batik from a 15yd bolt From The Stash. I would say that was a great advancement toward stashbusting. Now to do several more, and I might be able to see some progress.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-26-2019 at 05:51 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-26-2019, 08:16 AM

I fell off the wagon.......went to Hobby Lobby and purchased 2 remnants for half off.....will be used for Quilts of Valor - but no definite pattern yet. Oops! Can't pass up the sale fabrics.......Boy...I didn't even last thru the first month! ! !
Old 01-26-2019, 09:02 AM

Grann....wow, you did great with that King quilt. Amazing... And, it is so cool that son noticed your organization of studio.

Nora....you got this, girl. Climb back on. My weakness are polka dots and patriotic (QOV) fabrics so I totally get it.

I don't know about the rest of you but the emails are killing me. I've been deleting but, goodness, some good sales right now on some gorgeous fabrics.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:34 AM

Doing well here. I joined a Boom and had to resist the urge to buy pretty new fabric to impress my fellow Boomers.
You know, something "high end" rather than being content with using up what I had. The wrestling match in my head between "buy new and wow them" vs "be content, shop your stash, use it up" was raging in my head.

Since my word of the year is "experience" and my word last year was "contentment," and since I really want the satisfaction that comes from being strong and decisive, guess which voice won out? Yes. The "be content, shop your stash, use it up" side won! I got to experience contentment!

I am happy.

I am strong.

I am decisive.

Gotta keep talking positive to myself in a negative world!
Old 01-26-2019, 10:01 AM

Belfrybat: Thanks for the link for the blocks.

I jumped off for a quick purchase of flannel at JoAnns. I bought 2 baby flannels-3 yards each. I found out yesterday that I have another baby shower in a week and there will be one for a niece in the spring. The fabric will be used for burp cloths, receiving blankets, and maybe swaddling blankets. Now I need to get them washed.