2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 04-07-2019, 06:03 AM

Wow, Ckcowl, you did awesome. I have some idea of how much 7 large flat rate boxes of scraps is! I think I'm doing good to fill one a month!

I'm at a stall until I finish this Not Quite Y2K top. I have the two halves of the top and bottom pinned and ready to go. Probably sew that after I have my coffee (still working on my first cup, coffee with quilting board is my morning routine now). Then it's the one seam down the middle and that top is done. After that I need to measure the funky striped border fabric against the top length and seam that. I'm still amused every time I see that border piece, trust me -- it's not for everyone! The border print part will all be in the middle, much easier than making it fit the sides. Usually I don't bother to pin or anything on that sort of seam but being the precise picky quilter I am, I will be pinning it about every inch or so to keep the narrow stripes aligned correctly. It's a poly blend piece about the weight of Joann's Symphony solids so will be slippery. It has an unfortunately wide selvedge, the company name/registration dots are about an inch in and then it has a lot of the little holes right next to the selvedge from the manufacturing process. I'll be keeping that on until I have it seamed because I'm using the registration marks to line up the fabric. When I'm sewing it I'll put down a line of blue tape for the proper depth of seam.

I cut and pencil marked the four corner squares of the alternate white for the purple project. I'll probably take that box to Tuesday group and pin the angled center pieces together -- I'm doing them as rectangles with the "sew on the diagonal line" technique. I have figured out a process so I can somewhat easily keep the various pieces together while working assembly line, I much prefer to do all of one step at a time instead of making each individual block but I don't want to have to constantly be holding up those white-on-whites to the light to make sure I'm using the correct one.

Today is bowling day which means it puts me right at one of my best thrift stores for fabric... I should probably avoid going there but the hubby is starting to enjoy a thrift store or two after bowling and now has his own things to look for.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:37 AM

The ladies finished the comfort quilt yesterday, I contributed about half the solids, the back, and framing some of the blocks.

Here's a pic:
Attached Thumbnails pict0001-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 04-07-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:49 AM

Great job IceBlossom. They look like dancing nine patch blocks.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:54 AM

Lovely group project, Iceblossom.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:17 AM

Wow Connie and Iceblossom those are wonderful tops and quilt. Definitely need to think about doing a nine patch like that.
I've been holding firm on any purchases. Was invited to a quilt show yesterday but didn't think I was strong enough to resist buying fabric so I passed on going. Of course the large one in June I probably won't pass on. Since I've been hearing the calling of buying fabric my mini goal is no purchases till that quilt show. And I will work on putting together a list of any fabric I might need in my stash. Colors, types, etc. That way if I still feel fabrics calling my name not all will be lost. I'm just hoping this feeling passes soon!!
Old 04-07-2019, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

Yes...dancing 9's is right
Old 04-07-2019, 06:35 PM

Wow! Chcowl, what a wonderful big reduction of your stash! With all that you shoo'd out of your house, I'm sure you really made a big dent in fabrics-on-hand and have much more room to breathe. Congrats on a great job!

Wow, Iceblossom, that "dancing patches" quilt is really special! It's so lively, colorful and cheery!
Old 04-07-2019, 08:05 PM

Nice 9-patch quilt. I enjoy group projects.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:42 PM
Power Poster

Tonight I put binding on a little quilt that has used up another 3 yards of fabric!

My dear MIL always said "we kissed the cook" when there was hardly a stitch of food left over from a hearty meal. I'm calling this "she kissed the quilter!" with this one. I used pieced batting and cut off about 4" wof of quilt; the 5 strips in the top were wof fabric pieces--nothing left; the pieces I trimmed from the flannel backing were a mere 3" and 4" longer than the quilt; and the binding came from a 11 1/4" piece of fabric that I was able to cut 2 1/4" strips to just get by. Hopefully pictures tomorrow of my 5 recent finishes from stash fabrics!
Old 04-08-2019, 10:02 AM

I got that Not Quite Y2K put together, will take it to small group to take off my little block labels before I take a picture. Until then, here is that funky back! For a better idea of scale, that's about 30" from stripe to stripe. You can see I haven't trimmed down that huge selvedge yet. The little stripes are actually a lavender.

I usually avoid putting a seam down the middle of a quilt, but sometimes I'm just born to be wild

Edit/PS: I survived the 2 thrift stores with no fabric purchases. I'm not sure if that is a darn! or a yay!
Attached Thumbnails y2k-back.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 04-08-2019 at 10:06 AM.