2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 04-08-2019, 10:20 AM

ckcowl, I love reading about your stash busting. You're doing great!

IceBlossom, your group project is so lively. The squares really do look like they're dancing.

oksewglad, thanks for sharing your 'kissed the cook' memory. Congratulations on your finishes!
Old 04-08-2019, 11:39 AM

Well, I fell off the wagon, skinned both knees and sprained my elbow. I went to Sew in day at our LQS with my 2 quilty friends. We had a grand time, and after they finished teasing me about my "mindless" sewing where I sewed one strip wrong side up, I decided it was time to shop... and shop I did. They were have a 15% off sale on precuts, and I just Had to have Wildflowers VI, and yardage to go with it for the backing. Then I went all out in the $5 bin. In total I bought 51 yards of fabric, most of which will be backings for soon-to-be quilts. I think there were maybe 2 pieces of about 1 yard that just fell in the cart, just because. So while I am mending my knees and elbow I will plan what to do with the fabrics, and kit them up.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-08-2019 at 12:08 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-08-2019, 12:12 PM

Iceblossom, I love the backing fabric. I love the stripe print with the flowers.

Okay Granof6. Here's a hand up. We need to get you using up that stash you have. But, I do know you will blow through this yardage with your charity quilts like there's no tomorrow. So, climb back in the cart and we'll start again.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:12 PM

Oh goodness, Gran....this was quite the tumble off the wagon... Got my fingers locked together for a foothold, step on in..I'll boost you up...

So, I realize that these are not huge stash crashers but I've got some ziplocks full of bits and pieces and made a good dent in those as I played today.....plus, I got a few more mini 9P's done.. That's a 3" pineapple...my smallest to date. I think it is Bonnie Hunter who says to keep these little projects near your machine and run them thru in between stitching on other projects...kinda like leader/Enders... I'm going to start doing that with the 9P considering I'm going to need several hundred and no way am I going to do them all at once.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 04-08-2019, 05:15 PM

Grann... 51 yards!?? On April Fools Day we were tricked by believing we had someone who went flying off the wagon for doing the same thing!! I suggested punishments for her... no M&Ms for a whole month and bunches of push-ups for each day... Shall we inflict the same punishment for you?? Oh my, what were you thinking?
Old 04-08-2019, 06:27 PM

Silly Susan, Grann can't do pushups-she sprained her elbow! I can't even imagine bringing in 51 yards of fabric. I bought a couple of bolts last year for backs & thought that was a lot. But climb back on the wagon & use up your new stash.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:41 PM

Iceblossom: I like your dancing 9 patch group quilt. Cool backing also.

oksewglad: Looking forward to your finishes.

grann of 6: Sometimes we just need to splurge.

Teen: Nice projects and that is a small pineapple block!
Old 04-09-2019, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
Silly Susan, Grann can't do pushups-she sprained her elbow! I can't even imagine bringing in 51 yards of fabric. I bought a couple of bolts last year for backs & thought that was a lot. But climb back on the wagon & use up your new stash.
You're right! I guess she'll have to do those really tough one-handed push-up that football players and Marines do!
Old 04-09-2019, 07:46 AM

Score for Grann! Still not going to get me to fault people for buying things on sale. I know I still can't resist pieces big enough for backs. I have enough small pieces for more than a hundred quilts (sigh... wish that was an exaggeration) but only have backs enough for 20 or so.

Spent a little time in the sewing room early this morning. My old style ceiling fixture light bulbs had gone out and I put in the new ones, but they were too big for me put the cover back on. Bought another pair of bulbs that were a bit smaller and got the cover back on, much better lighting still a warm white and bright but no longer feeling like I was sitting under a spot light. Then, while I had the step ladder out I moved the boxes of fabric and replaced the battery and reset the wall clock. Had to get into my box of cat fabrics anyway, they were back in that corner. A piece of cat fabric is going out to someone on Missing Fabrics. The label of another box was turned around, apparently in addition to Black & White, and Pale boxes, I also have a Beige box. Will have to sort through Beige and Pale and decide if the off-whites stay in Pale or go to Beige. Too much Beige for it to all go in the Pale box. Grabbed out a couple civil war fabrics from the Beige and the Brown box on top of it to put in the pile of civil war fabrics.

Ready to go to small group, we will be giving the comfort quilt to our friend. Have projects in hand for there and my trip to my mom's house. Then it is to the Post Office, I have the Missing Fabrics package and my box of 2.5" strips and squares for my crumb quilter. Of course the minute it was taped and sealed I found like 5 squares just sitting on my cutting board... oh well, always next box.

Those far away thrift stores are calling my name loudly today... I should just resist the temptation but like Oscar Wilde, I can resist anything but fabric temptation.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:46 AM

Had a tip from Fern Royce about scraps. She sorts them into colors. When a box is starting to overflow, that's the color of her next quilt.