2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-10-2019, 05:28 PM

Very pretty, joe'smom!

oksewglad and grann of 6: You are making good use of your stash.

After I helped my son with the snow removal/roof raking, etc, I started to rearrange my sewing area. It's still in a mess but my body says time to relax.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

I like those colors, joe'smom!

Good luck with that sewing room clean up, Connie!

I thought I was going to get the denim quilt on the frame, but didn't. Instead....

Today was planning day...DGD's liked the 2 pillow cases I got finished this weekend. This will be a perfect project for the 10 yo to use as a 4-H fair exhibit. She found some horse fabric to make 2 pillowcases for herself. Then she found some rope fabric and there's enough boot fabric left over from the quilt I made big sister for cuffs. She wants to use this for cases for big sis. Okay that could be 4 yards out the door.

13 yo GD thought she'd like to join the fun too and picked some fabric for a pillowcase. Then remembered the fabric she had picked out of stash for a quilt I was to make for her. She's decided she wants to try it. As we had no pattern we looked over some. I showed her the Warm Wishes pattern...she really liked it and we have some cute fabric with just enough to make 20 5" squares. I went to EQ and we played with the WW pattern with a 4 1/2" finished square. Lucky for her there is enough fabric to do the whole top with stash fabric--4 3/4 yds and a pillowcase for her. By June we should have close to 10 yards of fabric out the door and I won't have to sew it!

This is the a close approximation of what her quilt will look like. Size 55 x 65 [ATTACH=CONFIG]610066[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails elises-warm-wishes.bmp  

Last edited by oksewglad; 03-10-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:14 AM

Fantastic, Oksewglad! Some wonderful things are happening! Getting GDs started on a great lifetime of sewing and quilting, some fun times of bonding, and reducing that stash!! Win...Win...Win!!! Can I borrow your GDs?!
Old 03-11-2019, 03:48 AM

Everyone is doing so much with stash & purpose-bought fabrics! I’m enjoying seeing the reduction of stash by many of you. I, on the other hand, have done almost no sewing in the past week. I spent my time working instead. Not nearly as much fun, but the pay for it will be nice.
I’ve had to drive by 2 different Joann’s in the last week but didn’t even feel tempted to fight parking lot traffic. But I also don’t feel much like sewing right now either, which is more of a bother. The urge to sew will return I’m sure-probably when I’m working!
Old 03-11-2019, 06:45 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610077[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]610078[/ATTACH]Made this bag completely from stash including the zipper. Was an experiment as I added the zippered top to a shopping bag pattern.
Attached Thumbnails bag2.jpg   bag.jpg  
Old 03-11-2019, 07:12 AM

I'm finishing up the border units for the Not Quite Y2K project.

The blocks finish 10" and the border is 3 rows of the (finished) 2" squares. I've mentioned before that I try to keep like-sized pieces together and don't like putting together long unwieldy rows on edges. Since the math works out to the seam lines and I have no whole cloth borders, I'll be putting on the border units to the side/top/bottom units first and then putting the whole quilt together which includes the borders as columns. A picture is worth a 1000 words, but I'm not quite ready to take that shot yet.

Today I have to press the last seam of the 9-patch units, then combine the 3x3 9-patch units with the 2x3 units to make the 10" block size. Depending on how much I do today, for my small group tomorrow I'll either be taking border units to pin together or if I push myself a bit more I'll have the completed units and pin them to squares.

One of the small group ladies is doing a log cabin in very low contrast pale fabrics. We've been able to help her with what she is calling dark and medium, but she's a bit light on the whites. I grabbed my stack of white-on-white to bring to group along with a couple more really pale fabrics, but I think she is going to be gone tomorrow and not back until next time. That's ok, because for my next quilt I need to whack off 42 WoF 2.5" strips from those same white-on-whites, as well as 42 purple strips.

That's the next one coming up, in my head I'm just calling it the purple quilt. Again, all out of stash.

I did make a couple of enabling buys for other quilters On the way home from bowling Sunday I found a really nice piece of flannel at the Goodwill for the hostess of my Tuesday group, she makes premie donation quilts and they require flannel for the back. Nice print, high quality, enough for two of the premie quilts with some scaps left over for $1.99. Last week she gave me a bunch of the flannel trims to send to someone (just as she'll give what's left of this one). At a different Goodwill I found two bags on tag day (half price) of large pieces of flannel scraps for a total of $3.99, I think mostly FQs with some smaller that I will include in the flannel box.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:49 AM

I thought about checking out a few fabric shops today for a couple of colors I need for 2 different projects. Thought was all that went into it. I'm passing.

My son brought home a new boxer puppy right before Christmas. (She was born in early Oct.) He has been out of town the last week and she's out grown her crate. I have to wait for him to come home and bring me another. (I babysit when he travels for work.) She is so destructive. I can't leave my house without her tearing it apart. And, don't even get me started on the potty training. She is going to go kicking and screaming to the back yard most days for a time out. I guess she's unofficially keeping me on the straight and narrow. It's a good thing I really didn't like that $800 rug a customer gave my husband. Because she's in the process of eating it. I have only ever had experience with dogs 30lbs or less. I never had a problem training them. They got right away that I was the Alpha female in our house. She just hasn't gotten the memo through her thick skull yet. Please, please tell she will. Or I will not have a house left. And, that she will outgrow this phase. It's just puppy antic's, right?! Well anyway, I have a couple of days of food left before I absolutely have to venture out.

So, yep, no fabric purchases being made. I will put those 2 projects on the back burner and keep looking over my stash for something that may work just as well.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
I like those colors, joe'smom!

Good luck with that sewing room clean up, Connie!

I thought I was going to get the denim quilt on the frame, but didn't. Instead....

Today was planning day...DGD's liked the 2 pillow cases I got finished this weekend. This will be a perfect project for the 10 yo to use as a 4-H fair exhibit. She found some horse fabric to make 2 pillowcases for herself. Then she found some rope fabric and there's enough boot fabric left over from the quilt I made big sister for cuffs. She wants to use this for cases for big sis. Okay that could be 4 yards out the door.

13 yo GD thought she'd like to join the fun too and picked some fabric for a pillowcase. Then remembered the fabric she had picked out of stash for a quilt I was to make for her. She's decided she wants to try it. As we had no pattern we looked over some. I showed her the Warm Wishes pattern...she really liked it and we have some cute fabric with just enough to make 20 5" squares. I went to EQ and we played with the WW pattern with a 4 1/2" finished square. Lucky for her there is enough fabric to do the whole top with stash fabric--4 3/4 yds and a pillowcase for her. By June we should have close to 10 yards of fabric out the door and I won't have to sew it!

This is the a close approximation of what her quilt will look like. Size 55 x 65 [ATTACH=CONFIG]610066[/ATTACH]
Ok, this is so exciting. You are inspiring a whole new generation of future sewer's and quilter's. Congrats on the stash reduction also! Your going to be having so much fun.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by LindaJane View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]610077[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]610078[/ATTACH]Made this bag completely from stash including the zipper. Was an experiment as I added the zippered top to a shopping bag pattern.
LindaJane, cutest fabric ever. That is one adorable tote.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:46 AM

Judith, I hate to be the one to tell you, but boxers keep their puppiness for quite a while. They are an extremely high energy breed! I intensely dislike finding dog chewed items that aren't dog toys, so I understand how you feel. I think my worst chewer was a Siberian/wolf cross. I don't believe in keeping feral animals, but ended up with two by accident.