2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-09-2019, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
I just came home from a business meeting 90 minutes from home in a town with a nice quilt shop. My meeting was over early and as I drove by the shop intersection, my car just kept going...so proud of myself...now to spend time this afternoon sewing!
Good for you!! And your friend, the smart car!
Old 03-09-2019, 04:28 PM

Good job, OK!!

I ran out of Kona white for my current project and ran down to LQS and bought....Only Kona white!! Woohoo! I guess there is a quilt run today cuz the store was packed...but I just ran in and grabbed the Kona and ran out. Saw some pretty stuff, tho!!
Old 03-09-2019, 05:21 PM

I was in the fabric Store the other day, But, I only bought enough fabric for a gift. It has already left my house.

And, today, I picked up one yard of a green that I have in my stash. I just needed enough to make a second pillowcase. And, tomorrow, that will be made up and off my sewing table. Along with the one yard I had in stash already. So, a little more stash reduction also.

So, doing pretty well on not re-stashing anything extra.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:23 PM

Really sounds like you all are doing really well and being very selective In your fabric purchases. You are inspiring me to always check my stash first! Before I think I need something else or something more.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I am famous for pulling one or two FQ's out of a FQ bundle collection because I need the color or print and whacking into it for another project. I use to not do this for the same reasons you sited but, I'm over it now. Lol.. I just go for it. I treat my stash as a fabric store....if it's on the shelf and not kitted for a project, it's fair game. But, I hear ya...cutting into our favorites is a tough one. I kind of panic when my polka dot stash is getting low..lol..
I am so impressed Teen. I have only ever bought 1 FQ bundle. Never again. It stayed in stash forever. I couldn't separate the FQ's and use them separately. So, I held a PIF on the board and passed them onto someone else. I was very happy they went to a good home. How they used them, I do not know. But, it was someone else's decision. It was the all or nothing OCD part of me that held me back.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
I just came home from a business meeting 90 minutes from home in a town with a nice quilt shop. My meeting was over early and as I drove by the shop intersection, my car just kept going...so proud of myself...now to spend time this afternoon sewing!
Good job!
Old 03-09-2019, 09:23 PM
Power Poster

Tonight I stitched a pillowcase (gold fabric0 from stash for my G'son'. That means another yard out and puts me at the +3 yard mark for the year. I also finished a strip top from denim tonight--60 x 80. It is for my nephew who will be graduating from the Police Academy at the end of the month. LQS has some police/EMS fabric on sale...I bought enough for backing and binding. I have the backing pieced and have enough fabric to make the body of a pillow case...so little change of plans as i make a pillowcase and have found stash fabric for the binding which means I can count off 3/4 of a yard from stash when I get N's quilt and pillowcase done. It's going on the frame sometime tomorrow. And in between I'm cutting up fabric for 2 quilts I want finished before the end of May. Losing an hour tonight so time to call it a day!
Old 03-10-2019, 04:13 AM

Wow! I'm so impressed with everyone's success. I have lots of FQs I have accumulated over the years. Back when my neighbor introduced me to quilting I started buying FQs to make table runners, place mats, and the like. Then I got brave and started making quilts. And now all those FQs are languishing in one of those plastic drawer bins. I think I am going to cut some of them into charms and do something with them....soon. I also have a collection of Civil War repro fabrics to make some quilts for DDs Revolutionary War-age house.

I have the Metro Rings almost all sewn together, will finish that up today and get it ready for quilting. I also finished binding the Pink quilt. So there is a small amount of backing fabric that may become a pillowcase to match the quilt. The next project is a mindless Dutch Pinwheel pattern I found somewhere using stash charm packs and the background fabric is also stash fabric. And I think I even have backing for it in my stash, just needs to be some shade of brown.

Tomorrow will be a test of my willpower... it is a sew-in day at our LQS and she always has a $5 clearance bin to have fun in.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:54 AM

Uh oh -- a $5 clearance bin! That will really be a test.

I've started cutting out a second 'En Provence' quilt, a Bonnie Hunter mystery from a few years back. I assembled some very muted stash fabrics around a faded floral print, which I will use as a neutral. I put a few elements together to check the palette and I like it more than I expected to.
Attached Thumbnails img_2988_fotor.jpg  
Old 03-10-2019, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Uh oh -- a $5 clearance bin! That will really be a test.

I've started cutting out a second 'En Provence' quilt, a Bonnie Hunter mystery from a few years back. I assembled some very muted stash fabrics around a faded floral print, which I will use as a neutral. I put a few elements together to check the palette and I like it more than I expected to.
Very pretty Lisa. I like the colors also.