2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 12-05-2019, 06:51 AM

That is adorable, Ok. I rarely use pins, mostly the little clips, if I use anything. But it sure makes a cute gift.

I am quilting the baby quilts I made from charms of Owls and Pals, a boy one and a girl one. I am just doing a simple meander so they are going fast. Babies don't care about a fancy design, and I am all about swift and easy. My friend will bind them. I have two big quilts to do on the longarm too, later on or tomorrow for those. So far this puts me at 56 quilts for the year, will probably get to 60 if I finish the ones that are ready to be put together.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:07 AM

Irishrose, so sorry to hear about your accident. I get teased about it but I've been a fan of Buicks since I was in my 30s. If you are going to be in an accident, they are good cars.

I have bad teeth and sooner than later it will be time for all of them to go. Recently a piece came off the back of one of my front teeth -- that's probably the sign.

I'm putting together the last couple of seams on the Cherry Goose project and will need to figure out something to work on along side the mystery quilt project. I rarely make the same project twice, but maybe I'll do this in another very different set of fabrics. All I know is it will be stash!
Old 12-05-2019, 08:46 AM

Even the little Buick is a tough vehicle. I tangled with a big 4x4 truck - he tried to beat me to the roundabout when I had the right of way, and only damaged the fender and bumper. It is still driveable and goes in the 26th for repair. Years ago, a big truck pulled out in front me on the highway. Both my Buick LeSabre and the truck were totaled. My son, who was a police officer for eight years, made me promise to never buy anything except a Buick. He bought me the Encore two years ago - I haven't told him about the accident yet. I drove LeSabres from 1987 to 2017, so I know what you mean - they were great cars.

Last edited by Irishrose2; 12-05-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:06 AM

Oh yeah, last Buick was a LeSabre, I'm in the slightly smaller Century now. On my budget I can't afford car payments or new cars and so I get a nice used Buick every 10 years or so. The current one was truly the little old lady who only drove it to take the other ladies out to lunch once a week. It was her last car, and with my vision issues it will probably be my last car and it's still doing great. I think it is 2002? But still only has 77k miles on it (32k when I got it), most everything I do is within 5 miles of home with occasional road trips. So yeah, two sensors went out -- she's almost 20 years old!
Old 12-05-2019, 12:24 PM

I traded in a 2003 LeSabre Limited with 150,000 miles in it for this one. The car was in great shape and the motor was excellent, but it was having brakes and wheel bearings, etc. After his marriage, my son moved to Kentucky and wanted me have a dependable car if he couldn't be here to help, so he bought me the Encore. I raised that one right!!! I recently told him that it doesn't match my hair any more - The car is River Rock and my hair was light auburn. Now my hair is white in front and mixed grays in the back. He told me I wasn't getting a new car - it coordinates instead of matching now.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:45 PM

Today, came across another easy/fast pattern for charity quilts. And it works with 1/2 yd pieces. Have fabrics to use for 2 more quilts with this pattern.

Just kitted 2 quilts using stripes, was having a hard time finding a pattern for stripes.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:43 PM

Irishrose...hope you are doing better. That was quite the mishap. And, your son sounds amazing. Lucky girl!

oksewglad....love that pincushion....what a fun project for your guild to do.

petthefabric...I like using stripes for binding but can't wait to see what you create with them.

I had a huge bag of scraps from about 4-5 quilts that I never did anything with after projects ended so tonight I sorted it and cut in to 2 1/2 squares and strips, 2 1/2 X 3 1/2 rectangles, and 1" strips for mini 9P's. Feel better now that it isn't staring at me anymore...lol..
Old 12-06-2019, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
Irishrose...hope you are doing better. That was quite the mishap. And, your son sounds amazing. Lucky girl!

oksewglad....love that pincushion....what a fun project for your guild to do.

petthefabric...I like using stripes for binding but can't wait to see what you create with them.

I had a huge bag of scraps from about 4-5 quilts that I never did anything with after projects ended so tonight I sorted it and cut in to 2 1/2 squares and strips, 2 1/2 X 3 1/2 rectangles, and 1" strips for mini 9P's. Feel better now that it isn't staring at me anymore...lol..
Thanks..how are you going to use the 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 rectangles? And sweet little 9P's..love them.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Today, came across another easy/fast pattern for charity quilts. And it works with 1/2 yd pieces. Have fabrics to use for 2 more quilts with this pattern.

Just kitted 2 quilts using stripes, was having a hard time finding a pattern for stripes.
You are industrious! What is the name of the pattern? I'm always looking for easy patterns for the prayer quilts I make, and I'm tired of jelly roll ones. I found this website that has a bunch of free easy patterns. https://www.woodvalleydesigns.com/fr...57672119140625 I've made the Oh So Sweet and Simple one several times with various prints.

Last edited by Belfrybat; 12-06-2019 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:45 AM

Well, I have been cutting up FQs for a Bluprint quilt from last winter's shopping craze. I needed 4 3/8" which drives me crazy. I was fighting with my Omnigrid ruler with the yellow markings, which was fine, but I have discovered they tend to be warped and are sliding around on me. So I gifted myself with a set of square rulers going from 2 1/2- 7 1/2" from Amazon. My plan is to eventually have all Creative Grids, just love them. I think all the omnigrid rulers will go to Goodwill, for someone who is not so fussy. Ask any handyman, he will tell you you need the right tools for the right job.