2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-07-2019, 05:34 PM

Irishrose2....I'll be interested to see what you come up with...I have a 1/2 yard bundle of 10 colors of ombré and I have no clue what to make. And, I made a scrap wedding quilt once...can you gather enough in a colorway so you don't dip into your ombré? Just thinking out loud...lol...
Old 07-08-2019, 05:59 AM

Well, thrift stores gave me another bag of fabric. Went bowling with the hubby on Sunday and we headed to our usual goodwill that always has lots of fabric. Not much there for me today, but hubby realized he left his jacket back at the bowling alley so we went back to get it and stopped at the Value Village across the street that I usually don't go to...

Score!

This looks like a bag of someone's fabric souvenirs of a trip to Indonesia. True batiks, heavy gold embellishment, and other more day-to-day fabrics. Separately there was another large piece of lovely batik fabric with a map of the country that I will put on the back of my postcard quilt -- but this is what I got for $5.99! C'mon, even with a fabric moratorium I had to do it. (each of the folded pieces like the gold embellished is about 2+ yards)
Attached Thumbnails 100_4964.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 07-08-2019 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:12 AM

It is imperative that I give up buying more fabric. The walls are bulged
(sp?)

The one I just have to give up is Quilted Twins. And they are the sweetest girls, such wonderful packages that come very, very quickly all the way from Florida. I've just got so much and I'm not sewing it up that fast it seems.

This year the weeds are winning and I hear my flowers choking outside, gasping for sunlight. How can I keep this up?
Old 07-08-2019, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

Oh BattleAxe...my flowers are choking as well. With all the rain we have had the weeds grow like...well weeds! My sunny days have been limited and the days available for me to be in the garden as well. I'm trying to deal as well...going to mow the lawn...it's sunny and relatively dry today.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:12 AM

I have given up on the garden this year. I decided something had to go, either quilting or gardening, and quilting won. Since all the Big"C" issues my immune system let me down. Bug bites cause big problems now, and I can't be in the sun a lot, so my "lawn boy" is slowly mowing into the gardens to turn it into lawn.

I made several baby quilts over the weekend, to send to my friend who has given away her stockpile of baby quilts. I had a couple Moda Marbles Pastel jelly rolls, so I made Baby Bargellos using Donna Jordan's pattern. One is blue/green, one pink/purple, one yellow/green, and then some kiddie prints layer cakes that I made charms out of, and just made simple charm quilts. They are all quilted and waiting for my other quilty friend to bind them. I quilt her quilts, she binds mine, works great. So the stash of precuts is slowly diminishing, and I was able to find backings in the stash.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:05 AM

I have 17 half yards of the confetti dots, so maybe I think there will be enough to share. I bought it for a simple bargello for me. The pattern I am looking at for the wedding quilt is similar to a bargello, but it's fractured - strips of a solid are interspersed with the pieced strips. The cool thing is that will use less of my pretty fabric.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:21 PM

Iceblossom, I would have bought that fabric, too!
Grann of 6, I'm sorry you had to choose 1 activity over the other. Sounds like you're working through your stash. Good job.
Irishrose, I look forward to your bargello creation.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:41 PM

Sometimes the fabric just grabs you and twists your arms until you march up to the cutting counter!

I'm sorry to hear of your journeys and loss of your friends. Is hard but I think your group must make it at least a sorrow shared if not halved.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:12 PM

Thank you, Iceblossom. The first friend had a life-long illness, but went more suddenly than expected. The second was completely unexpected. She died while doing what she loved, though, not lying ill in bed, so that's good.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
I have 17 half yards of the confetti dots, so maybe I think there will be enough to share. I bought it for a simple bargello for me. The pattern I am looking at for the wedding quilt is similar to a bargello, but it's fractured - strips of a solid are interspersed with the pieced strips. The cool thing is that will use less of my pretty fabric.
that's great, Irish.. The wedding quilts sounds really pretty. Looking forward to seeing it when finished..

I cut into a layer cake for my hexi quilt. I didn't have access to my beige and off-white scraps (packed somewhere in the storage abyss) and decided to just hack away at a neutral layer cake I've had for awhile. It's irritating knowing I have stuff in my stash that I can't get to. Ugh! Trying to be patient and not shop but it's difficult lol...