2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 05-17-2019, 07:57 AM

Bad bad, 'Blossom, the thrift store got me again! There were a number of bags of 5+ fat quarters from Craft Warehouse Quilt Shop, the price tags date them from 2001. Bright happy juvenile prints for the most part, think back to the KP Kids/South Seas fabrics from that time period. Bought 3 bags @ $4 each (they weren't even on tag day) but resisted many other pieces of fabric. I did, however pick up a nice large size Olfa Mat for $4.99, it's the size up from my usual one I think 24x36? Anyway, when I get home again it will fit nicely on my sewing table.

I started on the Bright Project. I made my one matched seam and fussy cut Caroline block that will be the bottom left corner. The other blocks will be wonky, seams not matching, different sized sub-units, etc. I cut strips in 2.5", 3.5" and 4.5" from the scraps, when I sew the 9-patches they will finish around 10-12" but then I will trim them down in various ways to a 8.5" cut size block. Some of the scraps only made a strip or two. I randomized the stacks and will start making the "strata" today. I'm thinking for wonkiness that I will be using whole number cuts (so like 3", 4" and 5"). I only want to use around 20 of the 2.5" strips (ended up with more like 30), but all scraps will go to my crumb quilter!

I'm trying hard to loosen up but it's just not the way my brain or quilting style works
Old 05-19-2019, 07:43 AM

No fabric purchases in the last couple of days!

Continuing on the Wonky Bright project, those 2.5" strips I cut are causing me more problems than I thought and won't be used after this set. I want the 9-patches to finish larger than 8.5, and a couple were under that so I had to take off pieces and replace them, which is not the free and easy thing I'm trying to do. I'm making 70 blocks, I have about 50 3-piece strata so far, will finish the 70 and then good-bye to 2.5, hello 3.25!
Old 05-19-2019, 10:08 AM

That pesky coupon for 60% off any Blueprint exclusive showed up in my email again... But, having looked at my list of UFOs and the list of things I want to get done in my studio this year, I am resolved to throw it away...still, some of those batik bundles are so enticing...but I am reminded that when I need fabric, there are several great LQS nearby. I'm trying to learn to let the LQS store my fabric for me (well, except for the ubiquitous scraps).

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 05-19-2019 at 10:08 AM. Reason: remove extra name
Old 05-19-2019, 10:25 AM

Yeah, I got the coupon too, but the other day they had specials on thread, so being that I love their Pima thread for the longarm, I stocked up on some colors I was getting low on. So I feel I have kept my duty to keep Bluprint in business, at least till the next thread bargain comes along. I haven't even looked at their fabric, because I have so much to use up that I got back during the Black Friday deals. I am just finishing up a kit that I got back then, so one more down, too many more to go.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:58 AM

Rob and Grann, you are both showing great restrain in not caving on with those coupons!

I spent yesterday and most of today sorting thru those squares I cut on someone's advise to reduce the gigantic stash I had in a monster of disorganization. (I cut about 3 tubs of fabric into 5,6,7, and 8 inch squares. The problem was I went from the 3 tubs of big pieces to 2 tubs of little pieces and a tub of scraps!)

I managed to cull the squares of the ones I'll never use. I'll donate those to the local thrift shop. ... And I pulled out some matching print squares that I can pair with leftover white fabric to make 5 baby quilts!

And, yes, I still have tons of stash, and 1,000s of squares, but I'm moving in the right direction... thanks to y'all and your encouragement!
Old 05-19-2019, 12:12 PM

Well, I must confess that I am not without sin.... The other day Jordan Fabrics had 12 half yard cuts, no duplicates, for $30, which is $5 a yard, so I felt it my duty to help them clear their shelves for new stock by buying 2 packages. I can't wait to see what I get. I figure they will work for FQ quilts. I have found that when I go without "chocolate" for a period of time, I go over the deep end and eat the whole bag. And I am even allergic to chocolate, not so with fabric, so if I get a headache from purchasing fabric it is because I know what the credit card bill will look like.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:26 PM

Finished and delivered the Hugs and Kisses. It used up a layer cake from stash, but I purchased the border and backing fabric as it was a special gift. Hugs and Kisses

My granddaughter was thrilled. [ATTACH=CONFIG]613038[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails megan-her-quilt.jpg  
Old 05-19-2019, 04:40 PM

Beautiful quilt (and granddaughter), Irish! Your colors are lovely!
Old 05-19-2019, 06:55 PM
Power Poster

The smile says it all, Irish!
Old 05-20-2019, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
Rob and Grann, you are both showing great restrain in not caving on with those coupons!

I spent yesterday and most of today sorting thru those squares I cut on someone's advise to reduce the gigantic stash I had in a monster of disorganization. (I cut about 3 tubs of fabric into 5,6,7, and 8 inch squares. The problem was I went from the 3 tubs of big pieces to 2 tubs of little pieces and a tub of scraps!)

I managed to cull the squares of the ones I'll never use. I'll donate those to the local thrift shop. ... And I pulled out some matching print squares that I can pair with leftover white fabric to make 5 baby quilts!

And, yes, I still have tons of stash, and 1,000s of squares, but I'm moving in the right direction... thanks to y'all and your encouragement!
And thank you for the reminder on one of the best ways to deal with scraps and pieces. Because of you and others that continue to comment on how to take care of scrap stash things are becoming more organized. Even if you still have two tubs, they are more organized and make for easier to use. I know having the scraps cut into pieces that are often use encourages me to go there first instead of buying new fabric and still cutting it up into the same size pieces you would find in your tubs.