2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-05-2019, 12:15 PM

Oh, I love 30s repro fabric. I have way too much of it in my closet, not even counting the one I am just finishing up.

Well, I had to stop sewing... my new self-healing cutting mat came and it stinks to high heaven. I needed a bigger mat for the end of my big table for when I trim up quilts after quilting, so I got a 40" X 60". It is currently being held down by my artbins to get it to lay flat. Hopefully tomorrow it will have started to lay flat and the smell subsided some. I guess the Febreeze will come out too.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
Okay, gals, I'll fall for that excuse too. My problem is that when I see a charm pack that I like, I consider what it will make, not much, so I usually end up buying the layer cake because I can get 4 charm packs out of it, therefore a larger quilt. And that means more fabric for backing, more fabric to coordinate with it, and then that means more stash to fit in the closets. So no more precuts for me for a while. I wouldn't want you to know how many I have.

Well, the top is together and ready for the outside sashing strips.
I applique a lot of quilts so charm packs work great for that too. However, I hear ya...if I like a collection, I typically buy the FQ bundle...lol... My precut stash is ridiculous...lol..
Old 01-05-2019, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
Well I suck.

i traveled to a nearby Lqs yesterday to buy a gift (40 minutes away) and caved and bought a 30’s fq bundle while I was there. The only defense I have is that I didnt own any 30’s fabric and I really like the 30’s patterns I’ve been seeing. I feel like I need to get busy and plan a project for that fabric now. I’m discovering that I have poor impulse control.
I love 1930's and every quilter, in my humble opinion, should have this in their stash. I'm not much help...sorry...lol.. So, find a pattern and commit to using it. Set a deadline and go for it. Add some solids and WOW from your stash to make yourself feel better. Works for me!

Last edited by Teen; 01-05-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:15 PM

Ok, so fatquarter.com emailed me that the 1/2 yard collection of Edyta Sitars new blue called Bakers Dozen is in. Is it against the fabric moratorium to buy something I had planned for last year? Or just ignore the email?
Also, saw DDIL this morning. We talked about making a big boy quilt for DGS. He is 4 and is really into Legos. Is it bad to buy new fabric with Legos on it?
Old 01-05-2019, 01:26 PM

Well I suck.

i traveled to a nearby Lqs yesterday to buy a gift (40 minutes away) and caved and bought a 30’s fq bundle while I was there. The only defense I have is that I didnt own any 30’s fabric and I really like the 30’s patterns I’ve been seeing. I feel like I need to get busy and plan a project for that fabric now. I’m discovering that I have poor impulse control.
We've all fell off the wagon at least once. Just straighten your backbone, square your shoulders, and climb back on with us. Like AA, when you feel the urge to jump off, let us know and you'll get encouraging words to resist the temptation. We'll help to remind you of why you joined the moratorium.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
Ok, so fatquarter.com emailed me that the 1/2 yard collection of Edyta Sitars new blue called Bakers Dozen is in. Is it against the fabric moratorium to buy something I had planned for last year? Or just ignore the email?
Also, saw DDIL this morning. We talked about making a big boy quilt for DGS. He is 4 and is really into Legos. Is it bad to buy new fabric with Legos on it?
The moritorium isn't designed to deny you the pleasures of creating and crafting. It's designed as a "check step" in fabric shopping..the check step is for you stop, look in your stash, then buy if necessary. You design the parameters of your commitment to yourself. Your grandson should have a special quilt made with specialty fabrics if it's important to you......the FQ purchase, to me, would be a personal exemption since you've been waiting and planning for its release for over a year. Maybe, you sacrifice something you would have bought to find the balance. Again, you set the parameters to your personal commitment. We'll do our best to encourage you stay on course.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:18 PM

Well I suck.

Pamela, it says above that you “travelled”. That means you get the travel exemption! Give yourself a pat on the back for sticking to just a fat quarter bundle and getting one that fills a gap in your stash.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 01-05-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:57 PM

It seems many of us (including me) are finding it hard to refrain from buying fabric in 2019. I agree with statements about travel, planning to make a purchase before the moratorium began, & filling gaps in the stash. As to the LEGO block, I’ve seen a quilt made with solid colors cut into LEGO block shapes. Maybe that’s a possibility for the builder who needs a quilt.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
The way I understand the moratorium is that we can buy fabric that will be used right away. A plus is if you can do stashbusting at the same time.

Y'all will be pleasantly surprised. I spent the the better part an hour in the LQS and bought the 1 1/2 yards I went after. They didn't have what I wanted, but close enough. I have Northcutt's Artisan Spirit Shimmer in Blue Lagoon. I purchased a Northcutt mottled lime green for the background and sashing. A little colorful, for sure, but color trumps dull in my book. Not many choices in small town in Northern Michigan. Now I have something light weight to work after my breast cancer surgery on Tuesday. I don't think I'll be quilting a king size quilt on my 301 for a while.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:55 PM

Irish....I did not know you have been diagnosed with BC. I'm so sorry and will lift prayers for you for a successful surgery and a quick recovery...and above all else....conquering this disease. Hugs!! Drop us a line when you can to let us know how you are doing...

and, proud of you at the LQS... Good for You!