Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3 43 52 53 54 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1328

Thread: 2019 Fabric Moratorium

Nice use of stash Iceblossom and LindaJane!
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    I am still trying to use up layer cakes, jelly rolls, and charms that I have collected over the last couple years. So until I can reduce the amount of them, the yardage will wait. And as far as scraps, I haven't even begun to address them, except for some that I have cut into LCs, charms, and JRs. I think a lot of that stuff is going to go to my friend who doesn't have money for fabric.

We are expecting a big storm today, so I may not get any sewing done. It will be a good time to sort and rearrange.

Quote Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
    LindaJane: Way to use up some stash! Do members of a quilt guild sew at the fair or can fairgoers sit down for a while and sew?
    Fairgoers can sit down and sew for a while. The quilt guild members organize and help. We have those who come every year and sew also those who have never sewn before that we get to show them for the first time how to sew. We have had kids who have never sewn before go through the whole process and complete a quilt or just sew some strips together however long they want to stay.

Great use of your fabric everyone.

PTF, Insurance can be good, but slow at times. Just keep enjoying your many projects.

I completed 3 baby quilts last month. All but one backing was from my stash. about 6 yards out. I'm currently working on a batik black swap blocks (from a swap years ago). My GN wants them sashed in black and with a black border. I decided to put in colored batik cornerstones too. I want to use a multicolored black fabric as a final border. Hopefully I will have it done in 1 week. He says he is not too picky. He just wants a warm quilt. For Christmas I'LL make him a dragon batik throw quilt from large scraps from a quilt I made years ago. Oh well happy Quilting everyone.

LindaJane: Thanks for the response. That is a great way to get people interested in sewing for charity.

I finally finished a quilt top. I donated it to my church group to finish since the 5” blocks came from that group maybe 8 years ago. It’s around 68” by 79”.
    Connie

Yesterday I picked up the fabric I was getting from the lady on Craig's List. Perfect fabric to add into the borders of the Postcard quilt, plus some awesome stuff for the Alphabet donation quilts I make.

And then since I was only a few blocks away from the Goodwill in that area (one I never ever go to) I went there too. Could have done a lot more damage than I did but I picked up another $20 in yardage. Put back more pieces than I took.

Today instead of doing what I should (starting on my paper piecing) I'm going to do a quick fun donation top, one of the "5 Yard Quilts" (you can do a google on Free 5 Yard Quilt Patterns). I'll be doing the sort of checkerboard/framed large square design. I bought a bag of coordinated fabrics at the Goodwill for $2.99 (not a bad price for an entire top!), each piece about 1.5-2 yards, a sort of a Jelly Bean print and then 4 coordinated spongey/reads-as-solids. Last piece of that is still in the wash.

I'll also sew the first set of blocks together on the postcard quilt. Pinning the next set of those blocks will give me something to do at my Tuesday group next week, but I'll need something ready for the week after that. I did take off the poly border from the baby blocks quilt.

Just wanted to say I'm doing really well on this moratorium. Haven't bought fabric since February, I think. It helped that I wasn't sewing because of shoulder issues from Feb-July! Ha. But still, we all know that sewing and fabric collecting are two different hobbies I am determined to shop from stash only, unless I decide to make a quilt for a specific person and don't have what they'd like.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-15-2019 at 07:08 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    Just got back from the LQS. I am so proud of myself.... bought Stonehenge fabric for the Kira backing, and should be enough for binding also. I looked through the $5 bin but didn't find anything I had to have, so only the backing fabric came home with me. That is pretty much a first for me to not buy extra "just because" fabric.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-15-2019 at 12:53 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I've been absent for a few days due to teaching camp for the last week of this summer. I have a lot of kids in a small room, plus our heat index has been 106 or so every day. I leave home at 7:20 & return at almost 5, worn out by traffic, heat, & wild kids. It's almost Friday... I keep repeating to myself. No craft work at all has been done during the few hours I'm awake. I hope to get back into things once camp season is over.
    It seems most people here are doing well with using stash & not buying new fabric for their collections. Keep up the good work!

That sounds very trying, Conchalea. Bless you for taking care of these little ones!

Everyone is doing great. It's very inspiring! I've been doing lots of fabric washing these days, anticipating getting to the next group of planned projects.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Keep it up folks...as mentioned earlier, I've been sorting fabrics and passing on fashion fabrics. I also have been cutting juvenile scraps into usable sizes. I'm amazed at the number of charm squares, 5 x 10 and 10 x 10 pieces I have to work with for charity quilts. The other pieces are cut into the widest width and sorted according to size to use in my strippy kids quilts. Getting anxious to sew these as I cut down scrap pile, not until then will I count fabric out. But better yet...no fabric in!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Actually, according to my last post here in February, I hadn’t bought fabric “all year”— so it’s still true!

Congrats, Zozee, on not yielding to the temptations that abound to buy new stuff when we have so much in stash!

I'm in my 3rd year of no new purchases and finally I am seeing substantial dents in the totes, bins, shelves and closets. The combination of sewing like crazy and no new purchases really does work to reduce or deplete stash!

Excellent, Zozee!! Proud of you and everyone else, too.

SillySusan....seriously...you are my hero...no purchases in 3 years is quite the accomplishment. I would have loved to see a picture of your stash 3 years ago...lol..goodness!! Well done!

I'm good with fabric purchases...only purchasing what is needed..but, as previously mentioned...the patterns keep showing up. I'm convinced someone else is buying and sending them to me....
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

The afternoon I stayed in the LA room because it has AC. The house AC isn't working, the repairman comes tomorrow. So I got 2 quilts quilted and binding cut for them. There's one more quilt with the batting to quilt. Also, have been going through old mag/books and tearing out patterns to use. Then the mag/books go into the trash. I want to buy fabric, but keep looking at the future quilts I've pulled fabric for and keep my eyes out of purchase temptation.

Managing!!! Until it's the new normal.

I bought a yard of fabric yesterday. Technically I only needed a half, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I'll use A fat third of it for the quilt I’m working on in the Danny Amazonas workshop that finishes up today. This workshop is fun- and potentially a bad influence since you need so many different fabrics to get a good value range LOL!

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Been having a talk with myself as I've been working on this quickie project. Sometimes I see a collection of fabric and it just speaks to me. Those Wonky Brights were one, this one too (coincidentally? also rather bright). I think what I need to do is go through my stash and kit out a few projects, or at least put them into quick potential project piles

But then I feel the pressure of the UFO. I don't count them as UFOs until something has been cut, heck I don't really have any UFOs right now -- but I do have a couple of WiPs. And we aren't counting the unquilted tops just yet...

Anyway, started this yesterday. Taking a pause to evaluate whether to add another row or not, I prefer it when rows start/stop on the same block. I have a yellow from the same collection that will currently be a narrow inner border (same size as the pink). I have to measure out what I have left, but I think I can do a green/blue 4" border all around the outside. Binding will be the yellow again.

I don't know the name of it, a few years back there were a bunch of "5 yard quilts". You can still do a google on free 5 yard quilts and get tons of results. When I drew it up in Electric Quilt I called it "My Favorite 5 Yard Quilt". For this project, I'm calling it Seahawk Pink!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Iceblossom, that is adorable. Another good idea I must look up.

Last year I bought a kit from Shabby Fabrics called Tiramisu. I was disappointed when it came because all the fabric is sparkly, and I normally am not a "sparkly" person. I guess that is mainly because the old sparkly stuff came off on everything, and when you washed it, the sparkles ended up in the washer only to invade the next load of wash. , Anyway, I decided that today is the day to cut up all the fabric and get it ready to go. The block is cute and should go fairly fast. I will raid the stash for backing, I have lots of Christmas fabric that needs to find a home.

I have been working on the Jenny Doan blocks, forget the name of it, but it resembles a Jacobs Ladder. Only thing is, I am finding it very boring putting the blocks together. Thus the switch to a holiday theme.

I also have 3 quilts ready for Bob, the longarm, I will do those this weekend. That will make 36 quilts so far this year, with only minimal fabric purchase. The bulk has been from stash.

Iceblossom, I like your Seahawk Pink quilt! What size are the finished blocks?

Blocks finish at 8". So in finished sizes, the large squares are 6" with 1" sashing, and the small squares are 4" with 2" sashing. Be pretty easy to do as a 10" block too.

I do this as strip piecing, so in my case I had strips of the green and blue which were cut at 2.5" x WoF, those are in the "middle" on either side of the 4" center. Then I have two rectangle strips pieced, cut at 4.5" and then subcut into the 2.5" width. Of course my 2.5" ruler decided to take a break on me... couldn't find it but still did pretty good cuts. It doesn't cut down ideally in this size, that's why I still had enough to make another row if I wanted.

Decided to go with it as planned, have the columns sewn together and am pinning on the inside border. Looks like I can have a 6" border if I want, 4" works too.

I haven't used the serpentine stitch on my new machine yet, I think this project would be good for it when I go to quilt it down. Those curvy stripes in the jelly beans (or whatever they are) weren't going to randomize so I decided not to fussy cut and put the lines going one way with the big squares and the other way with the little squares.

Very pretty, Iceblossom.
    Connie

So here's the border treatment. Although I did just buy this bag of fabric about a week ago, it was $2.99 and the scraps are going to the crumb quilter so no net increase in stash. I am using a stash fabric for the backing.

I debated back and forth over the border. The quilting will be very simple and I didn't want too wide an edge. Thought about using squares but the math of those extra 2 inches with the narrow border threw off most of those ideas. Not entirely happy, but it's on and staying on

Binding will be the yellow again, still need to make it.

I also got out the backing I wanted to use for the baby block top. It is just perfect right now -- so too small once I put on a border. That's ok. I have another one in stash that is bigger and will work fine and now I know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Iceblossom; 08-17-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    Very cute, Iceblossom. I like the border.
    Well, my whole day has just been a fiasco. The quilt on the longarm is a mess. There is some sort of flaw in the ProStitcher upgrade, motors keep stopping when I advance to the next pass, causing the design to be placed wrong. So this quilt will become a dog quilt

Then I had trouble with the antique sewing machine, got that resolved, but messed up the fabric I was using. It was part of a wall hanging kit so no extra fabric. May have to find a substitute. So now I am plunked in front of the TV in no mood to sew.

Blog Entries
    Colorful quilt IceBlossom!

grann of 6...some days are like that...hope tomorrow goes better!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

I bought 1/2 yard of fabric today. My backing was short and this one doesn't lend itself to piecing. It's been washed and will be used tonight, so I'm still golden.
    I'm also piecing the batting rather than buy a new package - I was short 3" on one side.
    Last edited by Irishrose2; 08-17-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3 43 52 53 54 LastLast