Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1419

Thread: 2019 Fabric Moratorium

Blog Entries
    Very nice, Iceblossom. I'll have to borrow that idea one of these days.

I too, tripped and fell off the wagon. But I will blame it on my friend. The story is... she and I went to the Hershey Quilt Show last week, stopped by a sewing machine booth and saw a table that would fit our Arias. So I bought the one they had in stock, but Dear Friend had to order hers. She didn't want to pay shipping, and she frequents the area on her dog show trips, so last Friday she said how about a road trip, and I am not one to turn down an offer to get out of the house, so off to York we went, picked up the table and visited a quilt shop just 4 miles down the road. Well, I am not one to turn down a chance to help a shop owner clear out her overflowing stock, especially when it is $6 a yard for Moda fabric, and just happens to fit in with what I have. So I relieved her of 21 yards of nice browns and some greens that will fit nicely with my other Civil War fabrics. And some of it will make a nice backing for said Civil War quilts. So now I am climbing back up on the wagon and try hard to stay on, at least for a while.

V

It happens to all of us! Imagine what we would be like/were like before joining the moratorium! One of my quilting ladies was teasing me and I said that I was continuing to buy thrift store fabrics but that so far this year my only new fabric were a half yard for that Here Kitty Kitty (I would have bought a fat quarter had that been possible), and my 20 or so yards from Walmart for $20. That's amazing for me that the year is 3/4 done and I've spent less than $30 on new fabric. Even with the buys I do get at the thrift stores, there is a lot more I could buy but don't.

Anyway, Grann of 6, next year I'll be diving into my Civil War fabrics so maybe we can spur each other on. I think I have enough for at least 3 quilts.

So far I've decided on one, Gentleman's Fancy which is basically a Rambler/Rambling Rose variation. It will be all over scrappy but based on values of dark corners, light center, etc. I have a lot of my 10" swapping squares and this is the time to use them. I prefer to work my quilts a bit more controlled, so 3-4 coordinated fabrics per block but this the goal will be each piece different in any given block. I will be using each piece of fabric more than once.

All I know is I don't want to do Dear Jane, but I'm not opposed to a sampler either. One of the fabrics I have in yardage is a great stripe and has a lot of potential for use in something like that.

The hostess of my small group finished a hand quilting project this past year. It is civil war type fabrics. A churn dash with a 9-patch in it, and then dark triangles all around to put it on point. It was glorious and she says to go ahead with the concept but I'm not sure. Still, haven't seen much more that I like better!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
    Iceblossom: Very pretty!

I fell off the wagon a bit but my sister asked me to go to some quilt stores for the Minnesota Quilter’s shop hop and I said yes. We had a great time. We very seldom do something together that is not family related. I bought 4 panels and some coordinating fabric for a baby quilt along with a couple of patterns. So into the stash it goes for now but memories were made.
    Oh wonderful, Connie! Such fun. FYI I'm cleaning out the knit fabrics and plan on contacting the BOLC close to me to see when/if they can take them. I should have 2 Kitchen garbage bags full. I did hold on to a couple of solid pieces...who know I may make something for myself one of these days! But a lot these fabrics have been stored for over 10 years and it's time to move them out. Although they were all washed when I bought them, they are getting a light wash before I bag them up. The sweatshirt fleece I plan on putting on the back of charity quilts with the outside towards the batting. It will add to the cuddle factor. I also have yardage of non juvenile fabrics that I will take to our local donation outlet. I'm not including this in my fabric out tally. Thanks again for the Bundles of Love idea!

grann of 6...you have a plan for those fabrics..a think a pass is in order! And Ice I love the block suggestion...I just may work on that Churn Dash on point idea...sounds like a lovely block!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Blog Entries
    Iceblossom, what a good idea. I need some spurring on, and although I had planned on starting on the Civil War project this summer, that hasn't happened and doesn't look like it will. Last year when I took the bus trip to Paducah I got a bunch of FQs of civil war fabrics and a pattern book of civil war sampler blocks, so that is my intention. I already have a couple blocks made, but got sidetracked on some other project. I figure I will be much more inclined to finish it if I do a sampler type rather than the same block over and over again. I just need to empty my plate first and not add more projects to said plate. But we all know how that works.

Here's the low volume triple Irish chain I've been working on. It's kind of an oddity, but I'm liking it. The main block is still in strips.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lisa

Well... I have slipped by intention (maybe). Found this auction semi-near me (well, it's in the same state and on the same side of the mountains) and bid on some of the fabric/quilting lots...
    https://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/...84/bidgallery/

I might be outbid. I might have to drive 75 miles each way to pick up an item I won at $3. LOL, who knows. Last year I bought 50 pounds of estate sale fabric for $2 a pound -- but that was before the moratorium, and it was so much fun.

I'm finishing up my friends comfort quilt. Have a bit of the binding to do and then have to make a final decision and quilt down about 6 squares. Going to go for a walk today with my non-quilting cousin and will ask her opinion.

Blog Entries
    That looks like a good way to do an auction. I always hated auctions, too much sensory overload, and rude people. My dad went to auctions when I was a little girl, guess that's why I don't like them. But my dad got my mon a cute little 3-drawer sewing cabinet that had slots for thread and bobbins for 10 cents. I still have it and love looking at it.

Nasty weather is supposed to roll in later this afternoon, so I hope to get some sewing done before it is time to shut off machines. I want to get the horizontal sashing and cornerstones on the snthail trail blocks and hopefully get the borders on too. It is a small quilt, the revamped Jenny Doan pattern. Can't say I love it, but it will make a good lap quilt for the cancer center. I have another one started that is using up layer cakes in the stash, and should have no trouble finding backing for it from the stash. The pattern is called Kira, looks complicated but goes together like lightening. I like patterns these days that don't take too much brain power, and can be whipped up fast.

I like that Kira quilt, it goes with the simple but effective sort of thing I like. For me it is one part (lack) of brain power and one part of vision issues.

I'm assuming you piece it in strips basically? So that the triangles get set in??

I bookmarked the page and will check out the Jenny Doan tutorial.

Blog Entries
    With the Kira quilt, you cut a layer cake into a 3 1/2 X9 1/2 (or maybe 9), a 3 1/2 X 6 1/2, and a 6 1/2inch square, you have 2 contrasting squares stacked together. Switch the colors, sew the smaller rectangle to the square, then sew the matching color of the rectangle to the unit. Stack the 2 squares to they are in the same position, cut them from corner to corner. Sew them back together so that the 2 sections are contrasting, and that is all there is to it. Then have fun with the layout. So you are making 2 blocks at a time, goes very fast. I only 2 sets made so far, but that is next on my to do list.

The snail trail is all together, and the first border is ready to go, so that top will get finished after I have lunch.

For me, the easier patterns are just what I like to do these days. Every once in a while I do a more difficult quilt, like the Forest Floor quilt by Wing and a Prayer, that was a challenge for me, but fun. At this stage of my life I want to have fun with what I am doing and not have to concentrate too hard.

Have not bought any new material for over 3 weeks. Too busy rearranging my sewing room. Keeps me away from LQS. Yea!!!

Keep up with the think before you leap buying. Which I see most of us doing. Take care and happy sewing.

Still working on charity quilts. Found a pattern to use stripes. Used up 2 stripe fabrics and 2 reads-like-solids. Need to find coordinator for back (From stash), ~6yds total. Every yard counts.

Taking 7 quilts to the charity quilt coordinator today and get more batting. ~35 yds.

Will have shoulder surgery Tuesday. It'll be probably 2 months till more will get finished.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-08-2019 at 02:31 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Best wishes and hopes for a successful outcome and rapid recovery, petthefabric.

Do your PT with due diligence! It makes all the difference to go through some effort when they want you to so you will be able to use the arm/shoulder later.

Retiredteacher and Grann of 6 it sounds like your drives were nice. Good company and quilt fabric

Will confess quickly. I ordered purple fabric for my MIL's quilt as I don't have many purples in my stash and the bargello needed at least another one for balance - a 1/2 yard. But I also found not one but two purple backings for the quilt as well. Which one - which one? I ordered both as the price of $2.50 was too hard for me to resist. Also a yard of blue found its way in there too.

Back on the wagon for me.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-07-2019 at 04:17 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Erin

Quote Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
    Here's the low volume triple Irish chain I've been working on. It's kind of an oddity, but I'm liking it. The main block is still in strips.
    I really like this. The soft colors, low volume....looks cool, joe'smom...course, I love yellow anything.. Lol... Can't wait to see the finish..
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Quote Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
    Still working on charity quilts. Found a pattern to use stripes. Used up 2 stripe fabrics and 2 reads-like-solids. Need to find coordinator for back (From stash), ~6yds total. Every yard counts.

Taking 7 quilts to the charity quilt coordinator today and get more batting. ~35 yds.

Will have shoulder surgery Tuesday. It'll be probably 2 months till more will get finished.
    Wonderful results, petthefabric!! Good luck on Tuesday....check in with us and let us know how you are doing...just relax and let others spoil you!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-08-2019 at 02:32 AM.
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Quote Originally Posted by elly66 View Post
    Retiredteacher and Grann of 6 it sounds like your drives were nice. Good company and quilt fabric

Will confess quickly. I ordered purple fabric for my MIL's quilt as I don't have many purples in my stash and the bargello needed at least another one for balance - a 1/2 yard. But I also found not one but two purple backings for the quilt as well. Which one - which one? I ordered both as the price of $2.50 was too hard for me to resist. Also a yard of blue found its way in there too.

Back on the wagon for me.

Oh well....some of your purchase was needed and not in stash so you get a pass....but the rest?..good deals, tho...lol..

No fabric purchases for me but I'm not doing very well on my personal pattern moratorium....most are applique patterns but it's really getting ridiculous. Ugh!

Banned
    A big congrats to all who are avoiding the fabric sales and are using up stash!

I am delivering 14 baby quilts and 36 crib sheets to the local CPC. And I have an additional 6 tops waiting. All from stash... No purchases at all for over two years, but a batting purchase is needed in the very near future. My stash is beginning to show some dents. There is a narrow path now in the spare bedroom and the bed is visible. The shelves are still packed tight and there are still large bins and bolts stuffed and untouched. ... but it's good to see progress.

Blog Entries
    Wow Susan, that is a lot of of quilts and sheets...so thoughtful and generous of you. I am looking forward to making some scrappy quilts this fall when the temperature changes...I have been disciplined in not adding to my stash, only have had to purchase backing fabric for two projects.

Pet, sending well wishes and prayers for your surgery. Iceblossom, I really like your scrappy quilt...is there a name of the pattern? I imagine that would be a great scrap buster.
    Last edited by jmoore; 08-08-2019 at 03:20 AM.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Cousin had errands and couldn't do the walk yesterday, so will be leaving in about an hour to meet up with her today. Finished binding the comfort quilt, still wanted to get another opinion on the last couple of squares of quilting... so that should be done today and mailed tomorrow. Overall I'm pleased with my workmanship and the way it turned out -- plus it was all stash, including the batting.

Since I'm in a holding pattern, I went ahead and changed the thread on the machine and finished sewing on the sashing for my postcard quilt. A little over half is pressed and final trimmed, the rest should be done before I leave for my walk. Next step will be layout, and then once I have it together I'll decide on the border. I think I already admitted to it, I'm buying an additional State fabric for the border. Found an ad on Craig's List but we couldn't get together before her trip, so will pick that up next week. I'm hoping layout will be relatively easy, each column is 10 blocks long so I'm prepping them in sets of 10, trying to space out the Alaska fabrics and the Hawaii ones and the others where I have a lot of with the Copenhagen and assorted oddities. Hopefully I'll just be able to plunk the rows down and do minor moving around. I do have 3 spare blocks to help me get out of a tough spot.

My sewing table is all nice and clean since I've been quilting down and will be ready to work on those paper pieced blocks for the Farm quilt. All my stuff is ready to go, I think I am too!

Blog Entries
    Great progress, Iceblossom. I have the last 3 baby quilts all trimmed and the binding made, so they are ready for my friend to bind them. She binds my quilts and I quilt hers. I have my cutting table almost cleared off, still a few things to be sorted and put away. I can't decide whether I want to work on the pillowcases some more or play with my Kira blocks. Well, I Know I want to play with the Kira blocks, but I also see pillowcases that need to be sewed on the serger. The other day I got some cute cheetah fabric at Zincks warehouse to possibly use for backing on my animal skin blocks, but I'm thinking it might look cute to make sashing with it since there is so much solid space in each block. I turned the 9 patches on point by adding triangles of fabric that is warm white. I haven't had any luck with posting pictures here, but may try again.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-08-2019 at 09:05 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

joe's mom I keep coming back to look at your low volume triple irish chain. I might have to try a low volume quilt after seeing yours.

We'll be thinking of you Pet. You get all that quilting in you can!

I'm sure your friend will love the comfort quilt Iceblossom.
    Erin

Ready for the mail! Quiting doesn't show well, the green background stepping stones are outlined by stitch in the ditch, every other V has a heart in it, and the top squares have a "heart flower".

The backing is a large scale tropical print of outlined light green and blue leaf shapes with pink and white orchids.

All stash and finished! Yay
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Very nice, Iceblossom, she will love it. I may have to copy that idea....soon.

I have all my animal skin squares trimmed and laid out. I am going to put the cheetah print as sashings. It is going to make a nice twin size quilt, some teenager would love it. And I have just one block left. I may have to go back to the warehouse on Monday and buy more cheetah print so I can use it for backing.

Grann, I have written up directions for this for my friend who wants to take it to a quilt camp next month. So far I have a couple more graphics to include and a couple of corrections and typos, but it's pretty much ready to go.

I use Open Office which is a free suite of Office software. You can open it into pretty much any word processing program you might use, including the Microsoft products.

If anyone wants a copy of the instructions, send me a private message with your email address.

I really enjoyed working on that Here Kitty Kitty quilt, it is next on the list to be quilted down. I went to a quilt show and in the members sales area was another piece of the cheetah print that I used. It was very tempting but I remembered the Moratorium and that I deliberately used up what I had and so I wasn't going to get any more.

Yeah... there is that part of me that regrets that decision!

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately, while I was checking to see what I might have for sashings, I came upon a jelly roll and 2 charm packs of another animal skins collection. So I guess I am not done making blocks, but I think the next one will be further down the road. Oh, I sent you a PM, Iceblossom.

Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 ... LastLast