2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 10-16-2019, 09:18 AM

Grann....congrats! That is quite an accomplishment. Must feel good..
Old 10-16-2019, 09:34 AM

Yes, I am pleased with myself. I have the 6 lap quilts ready for the Cancer Center, just sent 3 quilts to my friend in NC for her to give to some people who are in need of hugs, and I have a bunch of baby quilts to send to her too. I have surpassed my goal of one a week and it isn't even the end of the year. It makes me happiest to see the stash dwindling. I would like not to leave a huge mess here when death comes to call, hopefully not for a long time yet.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:19 AM

Congratulations, grann of 6. That is a wonderful accomplishment. Bless you for giving them to others in need.

I am out of town for a few days but I brought fabric to cut while my 3 month great nephew sleeps today.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:12 AM

This time I am convinced I have the right number of pieces -- lol but I haven't laid out those setting triangles, maybe I should take another look. Those are the setting triangles in the picture with the sashing. I think I've added enough light/medium/bright pieces that I don't have to layout the quilt, I can let it go random for the next stage which will be putting on the sashing on one side of each block. I will take out the light blocks and make sure I put them with sashing on all four sides in relation to the light. After that I will layout the rows and number them mostly to make sure I get those diagonal counts correct! Right now there are too many of the repeats too close together but even still, it works.

The overall layout is just to see the percentage of those light blocks, there will be sashing but due to size constraints it is easier to layout a queen sized quilt on top of a queen sized mattress without sashing This is the correct layout, on-point and the correct number of columns.

You can see I'm working with the stripes in the sashing, the long strips are all cut along the vertical, while the short are cut on the horizontal. It should make the seams just disappear. I could "elevate" this quilt and put in a little attic window L to give a 3D effect (and doing something 3D is on the list), but then I would want to place each block and each piece in each block instead of just "doing something with squares given to me".
Attached Thumbnails 100_5220.jpg   100_5219.jpg  
Old 10-17-2019, 06:01 AM

Iceblossom, sorry to hear about your beloved pet. A loss of this family member has no words. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:02 AM

I did double check the setting triangles and I am good. I also figured out my math problems, since I'm slicing along the diagonal it takes two squares of fabric to make one block, or one square to a setting triangle. It makes so much sense now, not so much as I was going through it! Guess I had other things on my mind...

I sewed the sashing pieces on each block this morning, still pressing finishing those up will be today's goal. Going to shuffle the blocks together and then lay it out tomorrow and am only going to give myself one hour to mess with it and then call it good enough. I'll number the layout but that is mostly to aid in putting it together. All in all, I'm pretty pleased with how it is coming out as random and not "seemingly random but planned to the nth degree"

I'm planning on keeping this top, it's a great reminder to me of these fabrics and swaps and such, basically from about 1988 to 2018 worth of fabrics -- and I don't think the average person is going to appreciate it as much as I do I can feel good about getting rid of the remainders, and it always feels good to me to use up those themed swapping squares in an appropriate manner.

Edit: A couple of the fabrics are really pretty awful! One of the ladies in my group said "oh dear, can't we forget about that one" about the St Patrick gold on green you can just see peeking out from under the stack of setting triangles. My response was "no, that fabric is not ever going to be used except in this top and this is it's chance to sparkle". I've been told before that I have the humane society of fabric, I'm ok with that!

Last edited by Iceblossom; 10-18-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:49 AM

You know what Bonnie Hunter says, "If it's still ugly you haven't cut it small enough."

Well, the electric company called again last night saying the power will be off tomorrow from 9-2, much better than the original 8-5. I have 5 batches of fabric pressed and will be cut into kits tomorrow. 4 of them are Craftsy kits I got last winter during their 75% off sales. My goal is to get them sewed up before the next big sale comes on Black Friday. One kit I bought because I loved the collection, Porcelain, and I even have the backing that I bought when one of our LQS was closing, got it for $6 a yard. Not bad for a pretty current fabric. But the kit has 25 different fabrics to be cut up, so that will be a lengthy process.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:50 AM

Iceblossom, such a pretty colorful project. Looking forward to seeing it completed. I’m sorry to hear about you fur baby.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:15 PM

Iceblossom, I can't wait to see the top with the sashing on it. I'm having trouble visualizing it. I used to hate doing sashing and cornerstones, but have come to really enjoy them... so much easier than trying to match a bunch of seams up.

Well, the power never went off today, but last night it went off for about 30-60 seconds, so that must have been what they were trying to achieve. I got 17 of the 25 fabrics cut up for the one quilt. That is going to be some kind of challenge, I think. I just hope I didn't make any cutting mistakes, because there is no fabric left for corrections.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:53 AM

I did get the first round of sashing put on and pressed the Scrap Metal project. Didn't get much done sewing-wise over the weekend, hubby actually had two days off and slept in Saturday. I'm used to his early morning schedule and so most of my quilting is already done by 10:00 AM. When he sleeps in I'm here on the other end of the house playing on the computer and being quiet. Sunday we had our bowling day and I played better than average but I was having a really bad day with my depression issues and just huddled miserably in bed most of the afternoon.

Today is a better day, I will be going in to babysit the "grand bundle" today for the first time solo, my son is back at work and DiL has a doctor's appointment. Yay me, I get the baby all to myself for an hour or two I should be back home around noonish. Hubby has bowling tonight, won't come home until 7:00 (instead of 2:30) so maybe I can get the quilt laid out today. As my pictures show, the only place I have to lay out a top is my bed so it can be a little challenging.

It's really nice to have a room set up for my sewing and fabric and I remember what it was like when the sewing machine had to be brought out and put away, but my house is small.