Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32 41 42 43 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1080

Thread: 2019 Fabric Moratorium

IceBlossom, it sounds as though you are well-organized for your stay with your mother. I hope things go well for her and for you while you're away from home. Those fabrics are dazzling!

Judith, that sort of thing does give one pause. I share your feelings about wanting not to leave too much fabric behind when I exit.
    Lisa

Thanks for the well wishes. Last time I had to be on nurse duty I typically had 2-3 hour chunks of time of nothing to do. Sometimes I don't feel very productive but I'm taking advantage of it right now. My sleep cycle is all off worse than usual right now but mornings I'm ready to go, by noon though I'm pretty much vegetating.

I should have clarified that the wonky brights were prewashed and made ready for cutting by me And I took apart the UFO top before washing and prepping the fabric as well. While the scrap bag wasn't all tossed and turned like a bag of rags it wasn't as neat as the picture shows either. While there are a couple of fabrics that I love, I would never have amassed this collection of fabric on my own, most of it simply would not have come through the door (I do love polka dots though...) Most of it is full or partial fat quarters and some appears to have been bought originally as yardage. But accepting the bag as a collection, it works. So that is one way I am loosening up with this project, fabrics I would not have chosen myself.

BTW, I do love my wild backs! I think this is a perfect project for that one. All told, thrift store prices the picture was about $12 worth of fabric. I think the cost of one yard of fabric is pretty good for an entire twin quilt.

In my small group one of the ladies is an improvisational quilter. She makes blocks that are similar but different. Her work always comes out as fun and with lots of energy. She is also the person we made the comfort quilt for, in that case the 9-patches were wonky solely because of the setting and how they danced. In this case wonky will be a bit different. My personal name for this is "Harriet Drives me Wonky" because she is in my thoughts and is my inspiration, but it is a donation quilt so Bright Wonky is as good a name as any other.

I'll be making blocks around 10-12" and trimming them down using an 8.5" square. They will be constructed as a basic 9-patch, but the sizes of the individual squares will vary, some seams will meet/others won't. When I trim them down many will be askew, others offset in some way. There will be one Caroline block (Iceblossom's real name) that will be pretty darn perfectly sized with matching seams and I will choose and fussy cut the pieces maybe even a bit more so than I usually would. It will be the foundation block for the quilt, in the bottom left corner. It should disappear visually but still be findable because of it's location.

Right now I'm thinking that the "center" of the 9-patch will always be a square/rectangle with 90 degree angles. When I get about halfway done with the blocks I'll reconsider on whether I want to cut some of the 3-unit strips askew to give more variety to the finished product, still 9-patches per block but more irregularly shaped. For the size I'm shooting for a 7x10 grid gives me 56x80" without a border, so 70 blocks. Unless I decide midway to use some form of sashing. I'm just starting this with a concept, trying to be loose.

The end result should be a glorious riot of colors and confusion that is too loud to sleep under, basically a crazy quilt of 9-patches. Someone will think it's great -- I hope!
    Last edited by Iceblossom; 05-07-2019 at 04:49 AM.

Oh, the 'Blossom has been a bad bad girl. So backing up to Thursday, my son called just before I was about to leave for my mom's with car problems. I took him back home to Seattle and then was on my way to the Ferry and the big Goodwill in DT Seattle sucked me in. Got about 8+ yards of a fun cats and dogs in space flannel, that will be donated. Got 4 yards of a fabric that is strange cotton but goes well with the flannel, cats and dogs again, no maker name on the Selvedge, it has sort of a Japanese feel to me, but no way to say... There was a glorious piece of vintage Waverly yardage that actually had selvedge info on it that I will keep. I was guessing late 40s-mid 50s, looked it up online and by the way the name was, it is no earlier than 1951, so pretty much still in my guessing range.

Mom got out of the hospital today, but they were out of Walkers and they really wanted her to have one and it was really needed to help her get out of the car, but I knew the Goodwill pretty much always had them... so on the way home I pulled in, got her a walker and me a small bag and another piece of fabric that I will be sending on.

So not much stash gain, but lots of buying!

Free download at Shabby Fabrics for those who like both written as well as the YouTube instruction:https://www.shabbyfabrics.com/Assets...orDownload.pdf[

QUOTE=oksewglad;8247921]Iceblossom..this is a free pattern from Wilmington called "Simplish"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K76_K7ZcvI[/QUOTE]

Blog Entries
    AUQ, I knew there was a PDF and couldn't find it at the time. Thanks for sharing it. I'd rather have the PDF too.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Glad I found it as well and could share. I like a written version as I mark it up in the process. I have been cutting FIL's shirts for a quilt to give to SIL. Finished one out of nine blocks and the rest are cut waiting to be sewn. Still have to cut the scrappy border. Taking it to retreat that is coming up to finish it up. Just got four quilts off to LAQ, two for me and two for charity. Haven't bought fabric since mid-March (that was just Kona replenishments and one splurge).

I have stopped buying! I just went through my sewing room and donation 6 large bags of fabric that I know I'm never going to use.
    My last purchase was a fat quarter bundle called Sweet Baby Girl by Riley Blake for my soon-to-be first grandchild.
    I rearranged all my fabrics and now have only what I love. I'm going to try to keep it that way!
    I also just bought a new Bernina- can't wait to get it!!!

Good for you, Susie! I need to follow your lead and start cleaning out the stuff I know I'll never want to use. Then maybe I'll be able to organize all this stash in some kind of rational sense. I've made at least 2 dozen baby/tots quilts to be delivered to the CPCs, along with tons of pack-n-play sheets. I bought several "What to Expect..." books and some baby clothes from the thrift shop that are going, also.

Thanks for inspiring me!

Congrats Susie on your first grandchild and new Bernina! It's good you recognize some fabrics definitely become "what was I thinking" and can be let go.

Iceblossom you're sharing your great finds so the fall wasn't too bad.

I'm now holding steady after my recent fall thankfully.
    Erin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
    Glad I found it as well and could share. I like a written version as I mark it up in the process. I have been cutting FIL's shirts for a quilt to give to SIL. Finished one out of nine blocks and the rest are cut waiting to be sewn. Still have to cut the scrappy border. Taking it to retreat that is coming up to finish it up. Just got four quilts off to LAQ, two for me and two for charity. Haven't bought fabric since mid-March (that was just Kona replenishments and one splurge).
    Are the shirts in the Simplish pattern? I can really "see" it used for one.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

No, my SIL chose https://quiltville.com/scrapsandshirttails/scan0007.gif from Bonnie's Scraps and Shirttails. Instead of 16 blocks she wanted only 9 - Yessss!!!! But there are leftovers and I have a stockpile of collected shirts that will go into the Simplish quilt, oksewglad. I also have a small box of RWB fabrics that would be great in Simplish for our honor quilt program. But first the FIL shirt quilt.... QUOTE=oksewglad;8253029]Are the shirts in the Simplish pattern? I can really "see" it used for one.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-14-2019 at 11:21 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Everyone is doing great staying on our Moratorium wagon! I have no urge to quilt right now, so I'm not tempted. I had to put my old dog down & haven't wanted to craft at all

Blog Entries
    My sympathies to you, Conchalea. I still miss my Great Dane that I had to put down almost 2 years ago. They take up such a large part of our heart, that the hole left is hard to fill.

Conchalea, I am so sorry to hear that you had to put your dog down. That is one of the most painful things I've ever had to do. Please take care of yourself during this time of grief.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
    No, my SIL chose https://quiltville.com/scrapsandshirttails/scan0007.gif from Bonnie's Scraps and Shirttails. Instead of 16 blocks she wanted only 9 - Yessss!!!! But there are leftovers and I have a stockpile of collected shirts that will go into the Simplish quilt, oksewglad. I also have a small box of RWB fabrics that would be great in Simplish for our honor quilt program. But first the FIL shirt quilt.... QUOTE=oksewglad;8253029]Are the shirts in the Simplish pattern? I can really "see" it used for one.
    [/QUOTE]

Are you making the HST sashings, too? And yes this will be great in a honor quilt, too!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Blog Entries
    Conchalea, I am so sorry for your loss. This also happened to me very recently. I still miss the little bugger like nobody's business.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Conchalea sorry for your loss dear.
    Erin

The fabric will be there when you are ready for it, Conchalea, so sorry for the loss of your companion.

Conchalea, I'm so sorry about your dear dog.
    Lisa

Conchalea, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Hugs,
    Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Oh...so so sorry, Conchalea.....hugs!!
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Conchalea: Pets are family and I’m sorry you needed to say goodbye.
    Connie

So I'm still at my Mom's and she is doing well. Her last back surgery was "major" and this is "minor" so it looks like I will be able to go home for a bit on the 26th... however, my brother who just retired is staying with her and he is having his gall bladder out on the 29th, so I"m figuring for another two-week stay after that.

Yesterday I did the final seam for the Purple Quilt. As I rate my projects I give it a 10 out of 10 for "does it meet your mental image". Although I did bring my camera here, I don't have the correct cords to post a picture so it will take until I'm home again.

I've put on the binding for one of my unfinished baby quilts, but haven't done the hand sewing yet.

Am debating between starting the Bright quilt or making a Kuspuk (Innuit Summer Parka) pattern for myself as my next project... but for now, I need to go back downstairs and start breakfast for Mom.

I also brought a box of tropical type stuff, going to do the Simplish design with leopard/cheetah print bars and jungle prints. I really like that design and can see all sorts of my collections being put into it.

Thank you all for the condolences. I adopted this dog 6 years ago, when she was 7 1/2. She was special & my house seems very quiet, even though she mostly slept the last few months.

Blog Entries
    That is wonderful that you adopted a senior dog, one that would be hard to adopt. All of my dogs over the years have been rescues. My Great Dane that I have now was 5 years old when I adopted him, senior by Great Dane standards. He is now about 6 1/2, but has no idea he is a senior. Everyone wants puppies, but the older ones have already been trained by someone, and just require lots of love. I went 4 months without a dog before I found Waylon, and now my life is complete.

I am cruising along on my attempt to reduce the stash. I am currently working on a kit I got from Craftsy when they had their big Black Friday sale. I actually have a couple empty artbins, would have more but I found projects to fill the empty ones. I have made 18 quilts so far this year, 3 are waiting for their turn on the longarm.

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32 41 42 43 ... LastLast