Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 UFO Challenge

Thanks for starting out the new year with a new thread to help us encourage each other to finish our projects. Knowing others are working just as hard or maybe just a little bit harder on the same goal makes it easier. Keep stitching every one!

I'm in too. I have promised myself not to start anything new till, mu UFO cabinet is cleaned out. Today I finished putting the rest of my fabric on comic book boards. Now to find the vacuum cleaner under all that mess.

I'm in again...I do not have any UFO's except, maybe, one. I did the Summertime Swap this last summer and the blocks are in their project box waiting to be assembled into something. Lol... I keep shopping for a fabric panel, (I loved that idea from someone else on QB) but have been unsuccessful in finding one I like. Hopefully, this year's new panels will come out And I'll have a better selection. So, it's really a WIP but moving it to UFO may motivate me to focus on it and get it done. I am working on BOM and one active quilt project. Will not start anything until active project done, as per my usual.

UFO's give me hives!! Thank you, happylab, for running the show for us again!
    Happy New Years...
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Thank you Happylab, and good luck to all my fellow UFO Challenge participants.

I know I like to change things up, so I think I will try to continue what I have been doing. Every Sunday, I have a "no-sew" day--I straighten up my sewing area, put all my tools back in the proper place, and cut scraps. I also pull out two projects to work on for the following week, at least one of which has to be a UFO, and only work on those two. Even if it goes back in the bin at the end of the week, at least some progress has been made.

My son gave me a fancy journal for Christmas, and he specifically said I was to use it for quilting notes, and he threatened to check up o me, lol. I have started on my UFO list. So far, I have 14 UFOs on the list, but those are just have the ones that are for a particular person and/or are completed floppies that just need to be quilted. Tomorrow, I will go dig thru the UFO bin and add the "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" UFOs. I'm not sure I really want to know how many there are, lol.

Thanks, Happylab. I'm in again this year, but in contrast to last year, I will post more than once and actually finish something.

I have 9 UFOs. I am currently working on a quilt for my older son which has been four years in the making. I'm also working on the spirals quilt that is my avatar. I aim to finish one UFO a month and to have completed three before I start anything new.

Blog Entries
    I would like to join the challenge. I help my mom and grandsons quilt so time for my own stuff can get lost. In January I would like to get a twin and baby quilt bound for my mom and 3 lap quilts of my own. I also need to cut for my moms next project. Thank you for the motivation to get things finished.

I am in for this challenge. I have so many UFOs. I want to get at least 3 done this month.
    Michelle

May your bobbin always be full! ~Author Unknown

I didn't participate last year, or I may have started then fallen away. At any rate, I'm on board this year with around 20 started quilts, all the way from just needing borders or quilting all the way down to patterns chosen, fabrics pulled and in project bags. I absolutely love project bags. I have two kinds -- the larger clear bags from Quilt in a Day and smaller 9x12" zippered pouches I get on Amazon. I've decided to also count the strips as UFOs since these are not purchased but cut from quilt leftovers. I figure they will make 4 or 5 quilts. Whew!
    Name:  UFO bags.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  266.1 KB
    Name:  UFO strips.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  193.0 KB

BelfryBat, you are Way too organized! I only allowed myself 6 UFOs in a bin with all of their pieces. If I get them all finished, know I can find more. They tend to hide in dark places and multiply faster than I can keep after them. Just love to try new patterns!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-08-2019 at 08:33 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I am in. I have 1 UFO that has been on my list for several years. I also think 1 or 2 WIPS will probably be added when their 1 year anniversary comes up.
    Connie

Yes I'm in again this year! Keeps me accountable! Thanks big time!!!
    SEW MUCH FUN!

My sewing machine needs to be serviced, so until that is done, I have decided to make a giant step I have been dreading towards my goal of getting all of my UFO's and stash down to one bookshelf.

I have finally accepted that not every UFO needs to be finished as intended, or even finished at all. My UFO Challenge goal for this month is to get them pared down and organized, get them out of the bins and boxes in the garage and into the sewing area, and have an actual list to work from.

A few years ago, I started working on a list of all my UFOs. I made it to around 40, got overwhelmed, and shoved everything back back into boxes and bins without finishing. The UFOs have remained in boxes and bins in the garage. It may look tidy, but those bins and boxes stuffed full of ziplock bags filled with projects in various states with no rhyme or reason. Most of the time, just the thought of the time and effort it will take to rummage through that chaos deters me from doing so, and I end up working on a new project with materials I have in my sewing area. Which only makes the problem worse.

It is finally time to tackle that "tidy mess" of UFOs, and get them out of the garage. Finished floppies are being pressed and hung up where I can see them. Projects I actually want to finish are being brought into the house, and placed in plastic project boxes I can stack neatly. For projects I am not looking forward to finishing, I am going to figure out if they just need a new plan, should be added back to the stash or scrap bin, be given away, chopped up into confetti for pet beds to give to the animal shelter, or (gasp!) actually just tossed in the trash.

This is not going to be easy. **sigh**

JJ, you can do this! I’ve read some people’s plan of listing their UFOs by how much each needs to be completed. I tend to stop on a project at the binding stage, & that’s pretty easy & fasts compared to other parts. I had one that languished several months & I didn’t want it to become a UFO. So I made myself put on the binding before I started piecing another quilt I was really excited about. Do any of yours just lack the binding? Maybe start with those & have some immediate gratification. That way you can get one crossed off the list. I know it’s a big task, but if you take it one project at a time you’ll soon have some finishes to share. Also, if you find you don’t even like a project now, donate it to someone who loves it & wants to complete it. It’s off your list & brightens someone else’s day.

I’m so glad to see all the old and new members and you all talking about your ufo’s (Or not). If you don’t have UFO’s you couldvtalk about your wip. What seems to help our members is pics of your starting point on your UFO’s. We love pics. Also it’s okay if you don’t post pic, but an option, maybe you could get photo instructions from other great members to walk you through the process. I can only walk you through using an I-pad. (Apple). I will post pic soon of my starting this year. I need to find them again.

Again, welcome everyone.

Belfatfry = I love your organization.

JJBlaine, = I just may try your technique you described in #29 entry.

Teen congrats on having no UFO’s. We will welcome your encouragement this next year as well as all the other members who have no UFO’s.

Oh oh well back to BHMQ 2018, Good Fortune. And try to dig out some batting to fit my Olaf tops, so I can quilt them.

I wish I were as organized as the above picture seems to indicate. What is not shown are the piles of fabric I have stashed everywhere, including the pantry and linen closet. That is why I need both the moratorium and the ufo threads.
    But, I am making progress. I pieced 3 strip quilts from the hangers over the weekend and finished three other tops that only needed borders. I found two finished tops I'd forgotten about so put those on the to-be-quilted pile. I then pulled backing for all of them, several of which need piecing. So I now have eight to be quilted. I'll start tomorrow, and post pics as I go. My personal rule is a UFO is not finished until it's bound and out the door.
    When all is said and done I will have used over 30 yards from my stash. Not bad for January.

Great job Belfrybat on your finishes.

I like to join the UFO challenge. I have 2 UFO'S, at least 4 WIPS and 1 mid FMQ with no binding. The FMQ is a little difficult for me to finish since the throat of my sewing machine isn't very deep. It s had for me tog to the middle of the quilt and its only 75x95.

Blog Entries
    Welcome QueenbarbieJ! Congratulations on keeping the UFO's to a minimum! We like pictures!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Welcome, Queenbarbiej.
    Connie

Blog Entries
    I finished the 2 quilts for my mom, quilted a lap quilt and am working on the binding for now 4 quilts. I do binding totally by machine, I have sewn the binding the first time on 3 of the lap quilts. I need to learn to post pictures so you can see the finished quilts. Thank you for the challenge, hope I stay focused.

2019 is not off to a great start on the sewing front for me so far. ;(

I'm not touching my new machine until I have it serviced. I think it just needs to be pulled apart and cleaned, but I'm not brave enough to do it myself, and I'm not touching it until it has been cleaned.

My son had borrowed my Singer 99k, so I asked him to bring it back. I struggled for 3 days trying to figure out why my top thread kept breaking, only to feel really silly when I finally realized it had the wrong bobbin. SMH!

Finally I was able to sit and stitch away. I got to work on one of my easier UFO's. For all of a half an hour. Until the presser foot got all floppy. It has a broken tension spring.

**sigh**

**sigh**

Dawnmc, I’m impressed by your industry! You are moving along on your projects.
    JJ, your machine troubles are sad & it’s not even a Friday the 13th. I hope you can get them fixed quickly.

Hi! I'm a new member, coming for motivation and inspiration. I took a hiatus from quilting (cataract surgery) and am now trying to get back in the swing. When I figure out how to put a photo up, I will show you my UFOs and WIPs, and a couple of started Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilts (note - Not finished, so UFOs!) I hope that I can also move along on my projects.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-10-2019 at 03:09 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Welcome bjpdavis. This is a fun thread.
    Connie

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast