2019 UFO Challenge

Old 12-13-2019, 07:31 PM

Great idea, ckcowl...never hurts to try a new approach. I like that you are giving yourself a "something new" option, too.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I managed to get 3 UFOS quilted but still haven’t finished the bindings. I have been struggling with the hand stitching. Guess I’m going to have to learn how to do them by machine one of these days.
ive been trying to get through some clutter ( a of clutter) and started writing each ufo I come across down onto a small piece of paper. I have two containers- one is machine project UFOs the other is hand work. I think I will also start a third one with each kit I come across. Each time I finish a project I’m going to draw out a slip of paper that will tell me the next one to work on. Hand projects I generally work on during breaks at work and travel ( waiting) projects, so I will be working on machine and hand projects at the same time & every now and then *when I want to work on something new instead of a ufo* I will draw a kit to do . We shall see how I do with this system next year.
This sounds possible. Good idea
Old 12-14-2019, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

Yes, good idea, ckcowl.. I had a little block with machine stitch binding, but have gotten over it. Like every thing else it takes just a bit of practice. Now the biggest thing for me to do is remember to stitch it to the back to fold over to the front instead of the other way around
Old 12-14-2019, 12:03 PM

I actually do all my bindings on the machine. I cut 2 1/4" binding strips/iron in half like usual. I sew on the front like if I was going to hand-stitch...then use the binding clips (red, can't remember who makes them) to hold it down. I sew on the front using a zig-zag stitch to make sure I catch the binding on the back. It isn't always lined up perfectly on the back so if that would bother you then this wouldn't be a method for you but for utility quilts it is a great way to get them done. My hands can't do much hand sewing as much as I enjoy it, so I save the time I want to do that for English Paper Piecing.

I got a UFO finished this week...the flimsy was done in July of 2016, I finally sandwiched, quilted, and bound it this week!! It is a new quilt for the day bed in my living room...used Kansas Troubles fabrics.
Attached Thumbnails img_0779.jpeg   img_0781.jpeg  
Old 12-14-2019, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

Great finish! I love your Kansas Trouble fabrics- perfect for that pattern.
Im working on going through shelves, boxes, drawers....locating all those UFOs. I know I finished some of them this year but geesh.
Im also boxing up patterns I will never make, fabric I will never use to pass on to someone else. Somehow I need to also include in my ( lists) the projects I haven’t started but need to get done ( new babies, graduations, wedding etc) today I came across a couple bags with scrappy projects in them that I started working on 12-15 years ago.....really? Ugh! Two of them I think I could work on as ( leaders/Enders) to get close enough to turn them into quilts, but that means setting aside my box of 3” squares that have been my leaders/Enders....creating another ufo....no matter how I try I keep creating more UFOs. ;(
Old 12-14-2019, 02:27 PM

Ckcowl, I really like your system of alternating projects - please share each success with us!
Old 12-14-2019, 03:02 PM

I have 6 more blocks to make in my oldest UFO. They take about 45 minutes each. I'm hoping to finish by the end of the year!!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]620904[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails shimmer-small.jpg  
Old 12-14-2019, 04:38 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Ckcowl, I also dreaded machine binding. The few times I tried, it looked terrible. Then this thread changed my mind. The binding takes a little longer to construct, but it always looks good. I use my stitch in the ditch foot.

Quick Machine Binding with Flange
Old 12-14-2019, 05:03 PM

Nice finish, carriem.

Kristijoy: very nice.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:13 PM

Such lovely finishes everyone.

Thank-you Krisb for a great step by step on machine binding. It looks so easy. I’ll have to try it soon on a small project.

I’m working on a Halloween UFO. I need to cut 4 more strips to make the needed 4-patches. Then I can start putting the blocks together. I expect to have a few more ufo’s Quilted by the end of the year. And post pics.

We had 3-4” of snow today. Schools are closed for tomorrow. So another Sew day tomorrow, yea.