2020 Penguins

Old 10-10-2020, 08:13 AM

Aw Panchita, he is so cute! Glad you stuck with him and your fabric choices are perfect!
Old 10-10-2020, 10:59 AM

Thank you Thimblebug - he was pesky, but so cute I think he can get away with it!

Have you had any thoughts about how you are going to arrange/sash/border this yet? Or do you think we'll get guidance on that too? (I'm not used to BOMs)
Old 10-11-2020, 07:27 AM

Here is a quote from her page, as I understand it, if you send a picture of each completed block before April 2021 she will send you her finishing instructions for free, otherwise there will be a nominal charge. She does mention some filler blocks. I really don't "need" another winter quilt, who knows, if I don't care for her layout maybe I could make it into a table topper ?? How about you, any ideas? (here is the quote-I made that sentence bold)

"There is one major difference this year: The finishing instructions will NOT be included with the last block, and I will NOT provide them for free download. Of course you are welcome to just download the free patterns and assemble them any way you like. If you do the math, nine 8″ blocks do not give you a quilt of 38″ x 49″, and I added a couple of filler rows. These are pieced (no appliqué, no penguins, just plain old patchwork), and it takes a lot more time to write instructions for this than to just place sashing around the blocks and add a border. The finishing instructions will be available separately for a nominal fee. If you collect all the blocks there will be no need to purchase the full pattern if you decide you want to assemble them the way I did. I will however send the finishing instructions for free to anyone who makes all nine blocks and sends me a picture of all of them before April 1, 2021. That gives you a whole year to make nine blocks, and I enjoy seeing what other people do with my designs. "
Old 10-12-2020, 12:07 PM

Ah thank you Thimblebug! Now that I read your post I think I also remember someone else mentioning this. At the very least it will be interesting to see how the original designer set her version.

Mine will probably turn into a quilt, especially since my son has expressed an interest in it. Although I could do it as a wallhanging...
Old 11-01-2020, 12:43 PM

Today we got the November block posted, a cute little penguin having a snowball fight; and only one more penguin block to go!
Old 11-01-2020, 01:30 PM

And I actually remembered to go and look! lol! It is a very cute block, although I may experiment with moving the incoming snowball - not sure I want my penguin to get socked in the face!
Old 11-02-2020, 07:36 AM

Panchita, I think she struggled with designing it as well, after reading her description. I will look at it for a day or so before deciding whether to leave it as is.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:25 AM

I had time to sew after my hike yesterday so decided to just go for it, I did put the incoming snowball just a tad higher

There is only one more penguin pattern to come and then trying to figure out how to set them, I guess.
Attached Thumbnails nov-penguin-small-.jpg  
Old 11-03-2020, 02:16 PM

Oo yes, I do like that! I may do the same. I've been toying with the idea of a couple of snowballs on the ground, but it's all mental at this stage rather than actually trying anything out (and I suspect the designer already thought of that and couldn't get it to work).

Yours is a fabulous block - hope mine turns out as well as that. I'm hoping to get to it this weekend, so we'll see what happens...
Old 11-06-2020, 12:48 PM

Looks great! I got the pattern, but still can’t start yet. 🥺