2020 UFO Challenge

Old 08-08-2020, 04:21 AM

K & I completed another UFO yesterday! This wasn't one pieced by her daughter. K bought an unfinished top for her daughter when the girl was 5 or 6. She's almost 42 now! We examined it closely & the seams are machine sewn & look more modern than the applique. Every other block has a kitten in a basket, blanket-stitched with embroidered faces & details. The embroidery thread & fabric for kitties looks older, so we think the original quilter hand sewed all the bright appliques & someone else put the blocks together later. One kitty is machine sewn with a small zig zag stitch. Background is all muslin, so we bought new muslin for the back. We decided to display this quilt, so only faced it. I'm not sure the original fabric would support the weight of batting. Some basket fabric is a flashback to the 60's & 70's! We both recall having similar fabric in our clothes during those eras. So this makes 17 of 24 or so we've completed this summer. It also makes 3 for us this month. We're on a roll!
Old 08-08-2020, 04:27 AM

I lost my avatar when the QB changed about 18 months ago. I just re-added it. The quilt is my variation of Growing Up Odd by Wedding Dress Blue. https://weddingdressblue.wordpress.c...-up-odd-quilt/ I changed the pattern to 2.5 inch squares, and made it much smaller, and chose to to group color families. This particular one was made in 2016. The Birthday Swap Group on the QB is making it currently as a mystery. .

Old 08-08-2020, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
I lost my avatar when the QB changed about 18 months ago. I just re-added it. The quilt is my variation of Growing Up Odd by Wedding Dress Blue. https://weddingdressblue.wordpress.c...-up-odd-quilt/ I changed the pattern to 2.5 inch squares, and made it much smaller, and chose to to group color families. This particular one was made in 2016. The Birthday Swap Group on the QB is making it currently as a mystery. .
I like your version of the pattern! I've made it scrappy with a dark navy sashing.. With your color version, once the colors have been sewn it is a nice mindless sewing quilt, IMHO. Haven't seen mine around the house;.I think i gave it to my BIL!
Old 08-08-2020, 09:40 AM

Conchalea, hearing that someone let a top sit for 35 years somehow makes me feel better about my UFOs, LOL. Congratulations on your amazing tally of finishes!
Old 08-08-2020, 03:09 PM

Thanks, Joe's mom. K knew her daughter would love the kitties but had no real plan of what to do with it. She found it at an antique shop for $15!
Today we worked mostly on new projects, but did plan backing for a couple of tops yet to be tackled.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:10 PM
Power Poster

WMUTeach, I love your version of Growing Up Odd.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:26 AM

Default Vintage Kitties

Here is the picture of the faced Kitties top. Since it's older, the kitties are a little wrinkled. I love how colorful each kitty and its basket is. Can you find some 60's or 70's fabrics?
Attached Thumbnails kitties.jpg  
Old 08-09-2020, 08:40 AM

Yes, WMUT, I like your version of 'growing up odd' pattern also. I'm thinking of mimicking you.

Conchalea, you and K are really the envy of my eye completing that vintage top, I'm really loving it

Those UFO finishes are really coming fast this month, bravo to all that is making it happen

Stay safe everyone

cherryb
Old 08-10-2020, 02:58 PM

Just finished another comfor quilt 40" x 50" Tomorrow is collections at guild.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:01 AM

Cherryb, I love the vintage top, too. It came out looking great. K's husband, who she says has an entire 'house kit'in their garage, found a wooden quilt hanger that goes on the wall. Once it's up, a front board loosens so the quilt can be put in place & the boards tightened to hold it there. I need to clean it so we can hang it for use.