2020 UFO Challenge

Old 03-08-2020, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

I am almost done with my February UFO. It’s king sized. I have one last town across the bottom to finish quilting and then the binding. I’m going to try out the machine binding with a flange on this one. Hope that goes well. I’ve been watching videos on doing it. I think the next couple UFOs are going to be smaller- easier to finish. At least I am moving along on my stack.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:39 AM

sewbiz, wow, you have been busy! All of your quilts are wonderful. I love the busy background on the second boom swap quilt. Congratulations on a fruitful March!
Old 03-08-2020, 02:56 PM

SBG, Oh! The feathers and ribbons look really good! Is the batik quilt one you're going to keep? I like the wavy line quilting too on the Boom quilt. Sometimes a simple approach is just as neat looking as something more intricate.

Last edited by givio; 03-08-2020 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

Thanks, everyone. Yes, the batik one is the keeper. It's on a bed now... The one with the wavy lines was supposed to be a donation quilt, but I love how it turned out! It will have to stay around for a while so I can look at it! The blocks were made by the various swappers of the Boomerang swap... I only made two or three of them, myself.

I agree about the wavy lines. As long as you keep the lines a consistent width, you create good texture. It can be a hot mess and still look good, overall.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:32 PM

Fabulous finishes, Sewbiz... I'm with joesmom....I love the patterned BG on Boom #2... Your quilting skills grow with each quilt you share. The feathers look amazing and the framed quilting you did around your 9-P is perfect touch. That quilt is stunning.

Cheering you on, ckcowl! King size are monsters so I applaud your deligence...and, once you try flange binding, you'll want to do more. It's super easy and quick once you get going...

Last edited by Teen; 03-08-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:06 PM

sewbizgirl: Congratulations on your 5 wonderful finishes. Eric Carle is my favorite children’s author.

ckowl: Looking forward to seeing your February UFO when it’s finished.

I should have a quilt top finished this week.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
Fabulous finishes, Sewbiz... I'm with joesmom....I love the patterned BG on Boom #2... Your quilting skills grow with each quilt you share. The feathers look amazing and the framed quilting you did around your 9-P is perfect touch. That quilt is stunning.
Thank you so much for that encouragement, Teen.

The background fabric you two like so well was actually my "focus fabric". Each swapper could add their own solids and make any kind of block they wanted. I think because I ended up joining the blocks without sashing, it looks like a background. It was a Waverly clearance fabric from walmart for $1 a yard! And so pretty!

I'm still learning how to use my Juki sit down machine...

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
sewbizgirl: Congratulations on your 5 wonderful finishes. Eric Carle is my favorite children’s author.
Thank you... I made a Hungry Caterpillar quilt for my granddaughter before that one:

Attached Thumbnails img_4832.jpg  
Old 03-09-2020, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

SBG you get so much done....love your latest finishes, too. The wavy one has some unusual color combos. I've been working on color presentations for our guild, consequently really noticing color! I want to work on exploring color on my own and get out of the "safe" combos I often use.

I haven't pulled out a UFO for March yet...guess i had better so I can get one done! Keep it up folks!
Old 03-09-2020, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
HI, Cherry!! Oh wow....only 6 weeks before you move. I hope that the downsizing has gone smoothly for you and that the sewing breaks have helped with managing stress levels. I know it did for me last year on my move.

Conchalea? How is your packing going? I forgot when your move date will be. Hope things are going well for you, too...
Teen, thanks for thinking of me. I'm going from a 3- bed, 2-bath house to a 2-bed, 1-bath house. I'm not buying anything other than food, because I don't want to move it! I've given away Lots of stuff but it looks like nothing has gone out. I close on this house 4 weeks from today, or earlier if I can get out sooner. My new place is in a small town 200 miles north, still in TX. The town I'm in has almost 120,000 people & the entire county where I'm moving has just over 18,000. Quite a change! I get something done each day & the end may be in sight.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
Teen, thanks for thinking of me. I'm going from a 3- bed, 2-bath house to a 2-bed, 1-bath house. I'm not buying anything other than food, because I don't want to move it! I've given away Lots of stuff but it looks like nothing has gone out. I close on this house 4 weeks from today, or earlier if I can get out sooner. My new place is in a small town 200 miles north, still in TX. The town I'm in has almost 120,000 people & the entire county where I'm moving has just over 18,000. Quite a change! I get something done each day & the end may be in sight.
Good luck with the move, Conchalea!