Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL >

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Old 12-08-2014, 06:06 AM

I've been looking over the blocks in the book - and they are most certainly not ordered by easy to hard - but just in the order they appear on the finished quilt. The problem I see - the very first block and four of the first six are the harder ones, with small pieces and tight corners. I got intimidated just working on the template for block 1.

So based on my skill level, I divided them into Easy, Middle and Hard
Easy 2, 5, 7, 11, 12, 18, 23, 25, 26
Middle 8, 9, 10, 14, 15, 16, 21, 22, 24, 27, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36
Hard 1, 3, 4, 6, 13, 17, 19, 20, 30, 32, 33

It just works out that some of harder blocks are at the start - so for my own sake, I'm going to deviate and leave what I know will be a harder block for me, and start with the simpler ones to build my skill and confidence.

I'll just sub in some of the last "easy" ones for the first hard ones so I can keep on the same block for most of them

Here is what I'm going to do for the first 6 blocks 18, 2, 25, 23, 5, 26. The next two months are all easy/med (7 - 12), so I'll be fine, and hopefully by then I'll feel my confidence/skill is good enough just follow the book.

I hope this does not cause any problems, I know for me, if I try to do four hard ones with the first six, I'll probably get behind and give up.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've been looking over the blocks in the book - and they are most certainly not ordered by easy to hard - but just in the order they appear on the finished quilt. The problem I see - the very first block and four of the first six are the harder ones, with small pieces and tight corners. I got intimidated just working on the template for block 1.

So based on my skill level, I divided them into Easy, Middle and Hard
Easy 2, 5, 7, 11, 12, 18, 23, 25, 26
Middle 8, 9, 10, 14, 15, 16, 21, 22, 24, 27, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36
Hard 1, 3, 4, 6, 13, 17, 19, 20, 30, 32, 33

It just works out that some of harder blocks are at the start - so for my own sake, I'm going to deviate and leave what I know will be a harder block for me, and start with the simpler ones to build my skill and confidence.

I'll just sub in some of the last "easy" ones for the first hard ones so I can keep on the same block for most of them

Here is what I'm going to do for the first 6 blocks 18, 2, 25, 23, 5, 26. The next two months are all easy/med (7 - 12), so I'll be fine, and hopefully by then I'll feel my confidence/skill is good enough just follow the book.

I hope this does not cause any problems, I know for me, if I try to do four hard ones with the first six, I'll probably get behind and give up.
Of course it doesn't cause any problems. The schedule is just a guideline! Its somewhere to start. We will be happy to see your blocks in any order that you care to make them. And actually, I agree with you. I was looking at my book last night and worrying over all those tight curves on block one.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:53 PM

I have the book but I've been too afraid to dive in~ Maybe we can all venture into the deep together? I will try to pull some fabrics together and have it all ready to go by January. May the quilting force be with us all!
Old 12-08-2014, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom View Post
I have the book but I've been too afraid to dive in~ Maybe we can all venture into the deep together? I will try to pull some fabrics together and have it all ready to go by January. May the quilting force be with us all!
Welcome! I wanted to do this quilt with the QB group, for the help and support you can find here. We'll muddle through together.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:24 PM

I ordered the book, and I am already getting nervous. This will be fun, right, even though I have a day job and applique isn't something I go out of my way to do on every quilt. Taking a deep breathe, the quilt is just beautiful, time for a change for me, right! (Jean are you out there!)
Old 12-08-2014, 03:44 PM

Not sure if it is good etiquette, but this book has been done on this board before and a lot of great hints/help can be found on previous thread related to aoth ... I have done some reading and found this http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/aoth-tuts-b3244.html
Old 12-08-2014, 07:16 PM

After reading some of the info in previous threads, I got ambious about trying a test block. I still don't have my background fabric (somewhere in the mail system) so grabbed out another gold just for the look.

I'm not sure how I'm going to attach them. I wanted to see if I could turn over the edge and machine edge stitch, though if I had no luck with that I planned on using a satin stitch over the raw edge.

I also thought it would be fun to fussy cut the pieces. Still not sure if I want to do that on the real blocks - or just use solids. So far I'm pleased with how they are turning out.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by chickadeee55 View Post
I ordered the book, and I am already getting nervous. This will be fun, right, even though I have a day job and applique isn't something I go out of my way to do on every quilt. Taking a deep breathe, the quilt is just beautiful, time for a change for me, right! (Jean are you out there!)
I ARE HERE, ready to go and coach ya... You can do it, just take your time, I have confidence in ya.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:15 PM

Book is ordered. As far a fabric, I am going to take it one block at a time. I am even thinking of hand dying my fabrics for the project.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by kindleaddict63 View Post
Not sure if it is good etiquette, but this book has been done on this board before and a lot of great hints/help can be found on previous thread related to aoth ... I have done some reading and found this http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/aoth-tuts-b3244.html
Thanks for these! I skimmed most of them and plan to refer back when I get going on the blocks.