Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt >

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Allietare! - Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

Old 11-30-2015, 03:10 PM

Clue one finished! I'm using a tall Iris vase as my ort jar this year. My neutrals are much more interesting that this image would indicate...

I've been working on kitting up my next handwork project this afternoon, am almost finished with my current english paper piecing project.
Attached Thumbnails kalamaquilts-allietare-2015-clue-1.jpg  
Old 11-30-2015, 03:28 PM

I also found the Easy angle ruler very slow until Joe'sMom gave me the tip to cut 2 or 3 pairs of strips stacked! Cutting 2 strips (4 layers of fabric) at once did speed things up. I got fairly good results with it---each strip made about 30 triangle pairs and after sewing and pressing them my reject rate was about 3 per strip or 10%. They were pretty accurate, didn't need to trim much other than cutting off the ear. I am almost done, have about 70 more to finish tonight. This clue was more of a chore for me, but still looking forward to what's next!
Old 11-30-2015, 04:08 PM

With the exception of the tube method for HST's, I've tried them all. I do like the Easy Angle, but as I have the right size die for my Accuquilt, that's what I'm going to do. It's the first time I've used it for a BH mystery.

I agree that if you are using the Easy Angle, stacking 3 sets is the way to go.

LOVE Triangulations. I've used it for a few years now; it's much more economical than Thangles as it makes infinite sizes as well as being useful for flying geese. I used to use Dollar Store drawing pads to print on; last year I ordered a ream of paper that is used in primary school for learning to write. It comes in several different styles (width of lines varies, some have red lines, some blue, some none, etc.) I just get whatever is cheapest; for a ream it was under $10 even with shipping.

This year, for the first time, I'm going to try to keep track of my time in a BH quilt. They are on the labor intensive side, but always spectacular!

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 11-30-2015 at 04:09 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-30-2015, 04:29 PM

I am one of the few who didn't like the GI last year (Sorry!). Must say, though, ALL the finished quilts were beautiful, just not my style. This year, I am going to wait. I'll print off the clues and then decide if I want to make the quilt. I still have lots of blocks from GI quilt put aside and someday I will do something with them.

I am a paper piecing fanatic and always, always, always use the free papers from the site mentioned, or Thangles for my HSTs. Have never tried the ruler, but find the papers so easy and accurate that I don't think I'll buy an Easy Angle ruler.

Love the fabrics you all have chosen! I am in the process of making the "Third Weekend in October" quilt, so I have lots of reds, golds and blacks in my stash. Lots of neutrals from the GI quilt, so I think I am in good shape if I decide to make this year's mq.

Good luck to everyone and I love to see your projects! Enjoy the mystery!
Old 11-30-2015, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by rainbowcat View Post
You are all so amazingly fast.

It's my first time using the eazy angle ruler and it is SLOOOOW. But I'm learning... Have about half done and can get some sewing time tonight. What a fun this is
I've often thought that I am the slowest person on the planet when it comes to quilting and embroidery. I put a ton of time in, that's the only reason my HST are already done. On the plus side of being side of taking your time, you can learn from others mistakes. I already had mine done by the time I saw the posts about the paper method, but you can bet I'll be doing it that way from now on.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Very nice! Not a boring one among them. I'm going to try cutting again tomorrow.
Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
They are grey and neutral, how exciting were you expecting??? lol lol lol They look good
Thanks ladies!
I forgot I was going to say that I used the Easy Angle ruler to cut my HSTs, from strips as Bonnie showed. All I've had to trim is taking the little dog-ear off. They come out perfect and right at 2x2"! And that's almost every one of them... LOVE not having to trim my squares.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tracylynn View Post
I love, love, love everyone's fabrics and I am happy to be part of your group.

Wish I could go all scrappy, but I'm a new quilter... ie, not many scraps yet... and I live high up (12,000 ft) in the Andes mountains in Ecuador, so fabric choices are VERY limited. I finished clue one and am ready for clue two.

My blacks and neutrals are varied because I had several prints in both, but my other colors are constant. I am a little worried about my gold because it is a large patterned fabric with a lot of red in it. It was the only thing I could find and I bought extra in case I need to cut out some of the red and only use the gold. Please take a look and let me know what you think.
It looks nice. Your HSTs are beautiful. I wish you had spoken up sooner and maybe some of us with lots of scraps could have sent you some. Next year, if you want to do the next mystery quilt, pm me as soon as the colors are revealed and I will see if I can help.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

Fraew, your HSTs look amazing!

I think your lack of flash is why people are thinking they are brown. They don't look brown to me.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
I am a paper piecing fanatic and always, always, always use the free papers from the site mentioned, or Thangles for my HSTs.
Could someone please post the link to that site with free paper piecing patterns again? I wasn't paying attention the first time around and now I can't find it. TIA....
Old 11-30-2015, 05:25 PM

I used magic 8 b/c it was the most accurate way I knew about to make them enmass. I didn't have the ruler, didn't get one b/c it is an extra thing that needs "a place" to be stored when I can just do the M8 and not have to store "a thing". But I have to say if another step is enmass hst I am going to at least try the paper method.