Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast

Thread: ART Quilt Challenges Monthly

Blog Entries
    dotty- what kind of machine do you have?
    suzie- i'm pretty sure the traumas and life experiences are what provides fuel for everything we do. i had a serious hand accident years ago while making a sculpture. the road back was difficult and i had to work my hands to rebuild the strength. while i concentrated on finger strength and agility i 'massaged' plasticene clay. i would take a piece and work it, then put it down and start again with another piece. my mind was allowed to roam and my hands were autonomous. my young son came into the room and looked at the squiggles of clay. "Cool, mom! you've made a nativity scene." when i was finished i cast it in bronze and kept it on my desk at the school i was running. every child knew exactly what it was and who was who, including the generic animal , but the adults were 99% baffled. the children engaged in conversation and play with the figures and the adults mostly looked embarrassed. it brought me a great deal of pleasure and was one of the better results from the accident.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by nancia View Post
    ---every child knew exactly what it was and who was who, including the generic animal , but the adults were 99% baffled. the children engaged in conversation and play with the figures and the adults mostly looked embarrassed.
    I love this story! Funny how as adults we lose so much of that sense of imagination and playfulness. Kids extrapolate so much more thoroughly than us more 'mature' grown ups. It seems that it can be recaptured and enjoyed as one gets older though and for that I am delighted.

Thanks I feel all inspired to get to work today on a pile of less than inspiring projects that need completing.
    Suzie
    Author; I Don't Know Where I Want to Be -But it Isn't Here!

Blog Entries
    My new project for the year is to get over this bronchitis that has been plaguing me for a few weeks. "I'd rather be quilting!!" and you can quote me on that. LoL... cough, cough, cough.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Nancia- I am sewing on an Elna. Very simple but it does the job. I have been given a Brother, which I have been too lazy to use. I went to set it up and cannot find the power cord. So now, I need to drag it to the repair guy who is sure
    he has a cord for me. I know I will love the Brother. This is the one that cries when something is wrong!! In the summer, I am visiting my dear QB buddy rfbrazell in Wash State. He gave me this machine & is a champion at embroidery. I want to watch him & learn how. I am not good with machines in general. The Berninas at my LQS totally intimidate me. I can barely use my cell phone!!
    Dotty in NYC

Blog Entries
    sometimes i think we are twins with different mothers, dottie! i have an embroidery machine and i haven't even plugged it in! i watched grann of 6 do some work on hers and it was really interesting to watch the machine 'build' the image! i may just try it this week end, but don't quote me on that! we were taking our son daniel to the airport, dh was driving and needed to know the gate number. whizzkid could not figure out how to get the info, so i took the smart phone and did it. totally blew my "you know i'm not good with gadgets" defense against having to use that ridiculous phone! oops!

Jan Art Quilt Challenge

So, I was the girl who always did her homework. Got this idea while reading the paper this morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dotty in NYC

Where art was concerned were you one of those obnoxious over-achievers who made the rest of us drool and restlessly toss and turn the night before the project was due? Yours was going to be super and mine less than engaging? Of course the party hours I was keeping at the time did not contribute to quality work..... And I now adore those who make me reach for better more challenging parts of myself.

This piece contains some truth and should be hung in a politician's office for him to gaze at regularly.
    Suzie

I hope this project is fully completed and marked off your list! There are much more fun things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    My new project for the year is to get over this bronchitis that has been plaguing me for a few weeks. "I'd rather be quilting!!" and you can quote me on that. LoL... cough, cough, cough.
    Suzie

Love all your work! I recently tried something new (for me anyway) I used Christmas tinsel instead of angelina for making glittery angel wings for a little project. Worked great at a fraction of the cost (especially now after Holiday sales!)
    You have brains in your head.
    You have feet in your shoes.
    You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
    You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go. (Dr. Seuss)

Corky, great idea!! I just saw an ad for an artist from Uganda who uses the foil from wine bottles. I guess I should open a bottle, for art's sake!! (Brooklyn Museum show)
    Dotty in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Love all your work! I recently tried something new (for me anyway) I used Christmas tinsel instead of angelina for making glittery angel wings for a little project. Worked great at a fraction of the cost (especially now after Holiday sales!)
    Hmm I had considered that but didn't get around to experimenting with it. Good to know it works well as I can't get angelina down in SAmer. Thanks for the idea
    ------------

And Dotcom here I am in Chile practically doing the backstroke in fabulous wines and looking for uses for all my empty bottles. I am cutting the bottoms off to set into a curved 'privacy wall' that will go next to the pool. They look like jewels with the sunlight coming through. But I hadn't even thought about using the foil from the tops. Did consider soaking off the labels and using them for decoupage later but haven't messed around with that yet either.......so much to play with.......

Then there is this months project on the wall which is going slowly. (sigh) I made an error that I just couldn't turn into a 'design element' yesterday and spent hours unpicking and recutting. :P
    Last edited by suziehammond; 01-22-2013 at 03:52 AM.
    Suzie

Blog Entries
    Hi all, I am finally back, Just finished reading all this thread. I am doing a pp wedding star by J.Niemeyer. I am so slow with the pping and to top it off my dd who requested the quilt has a King sized bed!!!! why oh why do I let meyself do this? lol Have to have 161 A an B arcs each. I have the As done and am doing the Bs now and it is already the 22nd of Jan.I really am going to need u guys to say keep on Jo or else a kick in the right place to keep me going. !! will Post pics on the way.
    Landscape quilts and needle turn applique favs.Antlers,Ok

It is very cold here and colder out West. Enjoy that sunshine Suzy!!
    Dotty in NYC

Blog Entries
    keep going, jo!! you can do this. start humming "i am woman, hear me roar". helen reddy had it right!
    i know all about the bronchitis going around. i took last week off to just wallow in discomfort. evidently, breathing is optional! and i picked this up while on anti-biotics. annoying! anyway, this month's project may be lost in the pile of kleenex and cough drop wrappers. my energy level is at non-existant, or sub-zero. the dogs think it's great as they love lying in bed all day. i am improving, but it is slow. my sympathies to anyone else going through this!

Blog Entries
    Ooops! Riding the pain train! Sprained my right thumb Sunday evening. I am typing in an unconventional way, using my left thumb for the space bar. That requires me to have to think while typing. LOL When some more swelling goes down I will see if I can sew. Too much pain for rotary cutter though. Twanging a joint suffering from Mr. ARTHER sets a quilter back!!!

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    Ooops! Riding the pain train!!
    Ow!!! Behave Yourself.
    Suzie

Quote Originally Posted by jolo View Post
    Hi all, I am finally back, I am doing a pp wedding star by J.Niemeyer.... will Post pics on the way.
    You must love pain! I have played with some of those goodies and the thought of a KS makes me reel......when is the date due?? Don't stop cutting and sewing while you answer.........
    Suzie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by suziehammond View Post
    You must love pain! I have played with some of those goodies and the thought of a KS makes me reel......when is the date due?? Don't stop cutting and sewing while you answer.........
    No due date, My dd knows on something this size I have to take a break at times. Sooooo I work on it till I am ready to give up and then I go to some of my hand work, I love needleturn applique so I work on that too.
    Landscape quilts and needle turn applique favs.Antlers,Ok

Hey all you lurkers! It is time for you to share something. How about a promise to post something next month?
    Anything that catches your eye, does not have to be a complete piece. Suzy, give us our next theme, and we can brainstorm.
    Dotty in NYC

I wish I had time to join all of you (it looks like so much fun!) but happily too much going on right now. I thought you might enjoy this little video of my art quilts (behind the photographs) and maybe be inspired! Ann http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5RL0RWo_qs

Ann,
    Very interesting and some beautiful pieces. Thanks for sharing.
    Dotty in NYC

Just found this site and hope to participate. Is there a February challenge?

Blog Entries
    very nice, ann! i've just watched several tutorials on printing on fabric. a start of something new for the new year!

i have an idea for february. remember the movie, "Groundhog Day"? how about we take a design factor and repeat it, but add a slight twist each time. bill murray would be so proud to know he inspired us!

Quote Originally Posted by EdieClay View Post
    Just found this site and hope to participate. Is there a February challenge?
    Hi and welcome Edie! Good to have you here.

Feb challenge going up today......
    Suzie

February Challenge

February Challenge

This month we have had 2 suggestions and I adored them both. So you are going to get a bonus 2 challenges this as both are really fit for February.

Normally we have a more thematic challenge like January's 'Start Something New' but this month we will have theme and also Nancia suggested a technical challenge as well.

Technical Challenge Part 1

"I have an idea for the February Challenge. Remember the movie, "Groundhog Day"? (That was where an obnoxious TV weatherman,Bill Murray, had to relive the same day over and over until he learned how to be more caring.)

But for us.........well how about we take a design factor and repeat it, but add a slight twist each time?"
    Now no need to get intimidated by this idea. It could be as simple as taking a color; say, light yellow and in five steps going through to gold in your piece. Or perhaps the same block with changes in size or orientation? Playing with stamps on one like this is fun. Applique something in 5 different ways? Any part of your design could be modified with 5 twists. You can draw or plan them, or let them happen --And what wonders may appear!!!!

February Art Challenge Theme Show the Love

All of our lives contain tragedies both personal and public. But then look at our human responses………they are overwhelmingly filled with projects to help and comfort one another. So this month’s challenge is to somehow portray this.

The touch of hands between someone ill who needs human contact, the offering of food to the homeless, kissing your child goodnight, writing checks for worthy causes, making quilts for those hurting.

How do show love and how could you portray it in a quilt? We are not making quilts to give as Valentine’s gifts but showing an expression or idea of love somehow within the work itself.
    But then of course you need to give it away…..

So with these two ideas you should find some great inspiration. Can't wait to see your ideas and projects.
    On your mark,set,go!
    Suzie

Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast