Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 16 25 26 27 36 ... LastLast

Thread: ART Quilt Challenges Monthly

You are most welcome Grandma Di! We love encouraging newbies to explore the many facets of art quilts. There is a lot of overlap twixt 'normal bed, lap and tabletop quilts' and our few steps further outside. I guess we are just the uncontainable who were usually in trouble at school as we wanted to do it another way.

Join us and start playing with fabrics, colors, textures...... it's great fun.
    Last edited by suziehammond; 02-18-2013 at 04:49 AM.
    Suzie
    Author; I Don't Know Where I Want to Be -But it Isn't Here!

Quote Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
    This has so many screens, it's hard to find where Feb started. Could you start a new thread for the new month challenge? Thank you.
    We discussed having a new thread for each month and the concensus seemed to be that if we did this we'd lose a great deal of the earlier photos and techniques which are so good to review so we kept it one long winding path-- BUT for the new people on the board this month I will remount the challenge--it was back on page 60.

Challenges are mounted on the first day of the month but when you get anything done we are all happy to see it along with some comments on how you managed to get it done. And I am delighted to get suggestions for topics for each month.

February Challenge Again

This month we have had 2 suggestions and I adored them both. So you are going to get a bonus 2 challenges this as both are really fit for February.

Normally we have a more thematic challenge like January's 'Start Something New' but this month we will have theme and also Nancia suggested a technical challenge as well.

Technical Challenge Part 1

"I have an idea for the February Challenge. Remember the movie, "Groundhog Day"? (That was where an obnoxious TV weatherman,Bill Murray, had to relive the same day over and over until he learned how to be more caring.)

But for us.........well how about we take a design factor and repeat it, but add a slight twist each time?"
    Now no need to get intimidated by this idea. It could be as simple as taking a color; say, light yellow and in five steps going through to gold in your piece. Or perhaps the same block with changes in size or orientation? Playing with stamps on one like this is fun. Applique something in 5 different ways? Any part of your design could be modified with 5 twists. You can draw or plan them, or let them happen --And what wonders may appear!!!!

February Art Challenge Theme Show the Love

All of our lives contain tragedies both personal and public. But then look at our human responses………they are overwhelmingly filled with projects to help and comfort one another. So this month’s challenge is to somehow portray this.

The touch of hands between someone ill who needs human contact, the offering of food to the homeless, kissing your child goodnight, writing checks for worthy causes, making quilts for those hurting.

How do show love and how could you portray it in a quilt? We are not making quilts to give as Valentine’s gifts but showing an expression or idea of love somehow within the work itself.
    But then of course you need to give it away…..

So with these two ideas you should find some great inspiration. Can't wait to see your ideas and projects.
    On your mark,set,go!
    Suzie

Blog Entries
    welcome Gramma Di , as u can c I joined quite some time ago when I was learning how to paper piece and needed so much encouragement and got it. So ask questions we like it.!!!!!!!! Nana Jo
    Landscape quilts and needle turn applique favs.Antlers,Ok

Blog Entries
    oooo, it's great to have new friends!! welcome to our playground! we learned to share a long time ago, and we like it, so come on in! i am in the process of designing more mug hugs, trying to think outside of outside the box, or does a double out put me back in? i think i want to go as far as i can and still have a useable product.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries
    I felted this on my embellisher. It isn't a valentine, but it is romantic enough to qualify, I think. I am experminting with with this technique to make a wall hanging. Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    that's quite pretty. how do you , or do you, propose to make it larger? or will you be framing it? wall hangings to me, represent something of size or substance. i can see where this piece could be successfully mounted on a metallic background, or felted perhaps to a larger presence.

Blog Entries
    This particular piece I made for a cuff bracelet, but I am starting on a larger piece (about FQ size) that I am thinking of using as the central part of a medallion quilt. Maybe a crazy quilt, do you think that would work?

Blog Entries
    i would love to see this sort of piece worked into a crazy quilt. be sure to give us lots of eye-candy glimpses of your progress!

Blog Entries
    Polly, I like what you have started.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

I FINALLY have something to show you, so you can see I'm not slacking off too much! I'm not quite done with the quilting, but wanted to let you see it. It is January's theme.

The leaves are angelina fiber with some yarns enclosed. The background was made with watercolor crayons. I did the roots with bobbinwork (sewn from the back), and I wrote some of the things I am beginning in the free-motion quilting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I forgot to tell you about the petals. I took interfacing to back the leaves and slit the interfacing to turn the edges. They are gathered by hand and just stitched at the gathering and the ends, so they are 3-D and are loose.

Blog Entries
    i'm so glad ypu explained the petals. they certainly look 3D, and i think the way you achieved it is very interesting. is it similar to preparing a circle for applique'?

Quote Originally Posted by goldendog55 View Post
    I FINALLY have something to show you, so you can see I'm not slacking off too much! I'm not quite done with the quilting, but wanted to let you see it. It is January's theme.
    Thanks heaps! There are so many good ideas to try out in that little gem! Love it.
    Suzie

Quote Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 View Post
    I felted this on my embellisher. It isn't a valentine, but it is romantic enough to qualify, I think. I am experminting with with this technique to make a wall hanging. Any suggestions?
    Love this cuff. I have a new appreciation of detachable collars and cuffs for my clothes all of a sudden....hmmmm...

Looking forward to the next installment.
    Suzie

Blog Entries

The leaves are angelina fiber with some yarns enclosed. The background was made with watercolor crayons. I did the roots with bobbinwork (sewn from the back), and I wrote some of the things I am beginning in the free-motion quilting.

Wow, Judy, you did a great job. Thanks for sharing.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

This is so beautiful. I love the words in the free motion quilting.

What is an embellisher? Something like a felting machine? I love the fancy cuff. I would wear that!
    Goldendog, lots of great ideas. I have not had a lot of success with angelina. More ideas to try. What's up for March??
    Dotty in NYC

scholarship

You guys are some of the first to know this: I just received word that I have received the Alegre Quilt Art Camp Scholarship for 2013! It is in Colorado in April for 5 days in a beautiful retreat center. I want to take the shibori dyeing and design class, that will help me in my work at Pike Place Market, but otherwise I'll take a class with Katie Pasaquini-Masopust. The other instructor is Joan Meyers-Newbury. Oh, I am so excited!!!!!!

Here's the link to the program: http://www.alegreretreat.com/alegre.html
    Last edited by goldendog55; 02-23-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: add more

Blog Entries
    yay!! goldendog, woo hoo! you are a star! when you get back you can do a shibori tute!! can't wait! soooooo happy for you, seeing green, but in a very nice shade!

Blog Entries
    Wow, Goldendog, you are a celebrity among us! Congratulations!!!

Linda

I just received word that I have received the Alegre Quilt Art Camp Scholarship for 2013!
    Absolutely awesome! I am so delighted for you and look forward to the aftermath of what you share with all of us.
    Suzie

Congratulations! What a lucky lady you are.

Blog Entries
    Judy, I love your piece. So many different techniques. I am going to a class for bobbin work in a couples of weeks and can hardly wait. I really, really, like to petals.

I missed QuiltCon,in Austin, Texas, because I heard about it after buying my ticket for Austin in May.
    Check it it online (equilter.com has a flicker I think). Here is a lot of what s happening in the modern art quilt world.
    Dotty in NYC

March Challenge

Marching, as a verb, calls to mind moving forward in a regular manner, usually in symmetrical lines. Hmm! sounds like a quilting session to me. (Sure enough March in the ancient calendar was often when wars were resumed as roads were again passable)

March as a month calls forth the idea of new beginnings and was/is the New Year in many a culture. The tender flowers that struggle through the snows splash the ground with yellows in the northern hemisphere promising warmth and summer.

So how about hauling out those yellows, whites and other colors you feel express hope for a future and create a regular 'marching' pattern of some kind?

Alternatively, there is the idea that many a creature, especially the hare, go bonkers as mating season has arrived and reasonable behaviour goes by the wayside. March is also associated with completely incomprehensible craziness.

SO how crazy a piece can you come up with? Boy does my imagination do some backflips on that idea............

Two opposite ends of the scale for you you attempt. Express the inner 'march/March' you are feeling this year with idea or theme,color,pattern,needle & thread.

And hey! Calling all those February pieces we haven't seen yet!
    Suzie

Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 16 25 26 27 36 ... LastLast