Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 11-28-2020, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Stitches23 View Post
Off to a good start. Wasn't real sure about this color combination but I think I like it.
Attachment 629869
Your units look great!
I was considering a trip to a quilt shop that’s 40 minutes away to add to my “greys”, but decided to revisit my stash instead. It was productive as I found fabric I have been hoarding for a long time for a particular project for which it is no longer needed (that is, one flower from each fabric and I have already made the flower using these fabrics).
Still trying to decide on how many units to make for half.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:39 AM

Thanks, joe's mom and SuzSLo. First mystery quilt. 2nd Bonnie Hunter quilt. Still learning and enjoying the process. With all the kids out of the house this year, quilting is my therapy.

I still need some more yellow. Hope to get out next week to finish buying what I need.

Last edited by Stitches23; 11-28-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by leheath8 View Post
Thanks @joe'smom - purple is my favorite color, so I'm happy I was able to work it in to this mystery quilt. I feel like as long as it has purple, I will probably like the end result!

For those that have done these mysteries before, how does this clue compare to a typical clue in terms of difficulty and time needed?
Honestly, I think this might be the easiest clue we do but all are beginner friendly just some can be very time consuming. Always worth it in the end though.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:59 PM

I decided on the 8-at-a-time method for step one, it is new to me. I am so glad I tried it, I have found it much less tedious than using Bonnie's ruler on already cut strips. I still use her ruler that way quite a bit, but the bias-cut strips go faster for me.

I also used my enthusiasm for a new project to work on catching up on squaring up the blocks on my leader and ender project...I had gotten behind and the very idea of sitting down to square up that many blocks at once made me avoid it. So for every cut I made on grassy creek today...I squared up a block. I will be caught up on those before I finish step 1!
Old 11-28-2020, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by origamigoldfish View Post
I decided on the 8-at-a-time method for step one, it is new to me. I am so glad I tried it, I have found it much less tedious than using Bonnie's ruler on already cut strips. I still use her ruler that way quite a bit, but the bias-cut strips go faster for me.

—snip—
it’s funny how one technique appeals to one person and not another.

I really did not like the method Bonnie described as the Simple Folded Corners, which creates bias strips to make 8 half-square triangles at a time. I think part of my issue was that I needed 4 different rulers to make the units: a 15” square for the initial square, a 24x 6 with a 45 degree mark to cut the bias strips, a bias square to cut the triangles and then a 12x 6 to trim the units to size.

On the other hand, I just bought the Essential Triangle Ruler and really liked using it. And that ruler and the 12x 6 were the only rulers I used!
Old 11-28-2020, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by origamigoldfish View Post

I also used my enthusiasm for a new project to work on catching up on squaring up the blocks on my leader and ender project...I had gotten behind and the very idea of sitting down to square up that many blocks at once made me avoid it. So for every cut I made on grassy creek today...I squared up a block. I will be caught up on those before I finish step 1!
I am also doing the 8 at a time also. I love this method.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:06 PM

I cut wide strips, sewed one grey and one yellow together and use QIAD triangle square ruler. Got 15 half square triangles per strip and only 2 seams. Used the same ruler to square up and remove dog ears before finger pressing and ironing. I was very pleased with the accuracy.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:51 PM

I’m enjoying seeing everyone’s color combinations. I’m also enjoying reading the different ways we make our HST’s. I have my fabric strips cut. Tomorrow I will mark and sew while listening to audio book.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the responses to my question - now I feel pretty good about this so far! I'm a fairly beginner quilter and was worried about being able to keep up or even just figure out the clues. I am pretty confident with HSTs so, while I'm sure future clues will be more challenging, at least I got this one done in a few hours over two days (I'm only doing ~2/3rds of the units). The BH Essential Triangle tool was new for me, but it really made sense and was much more efficient than my "normal" HST method (the magic 8 method held no appeal, so I didn't try it).

I love seeing all the different HST units everyone has made - it's amazing how different they all look despite all coming form the same "plan!"
Old 11-29-2020, 04:35 AM

Red face Choosing Alternate Colors For a Mystery

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
I am thinking about joining in, but I don't want to use Bonnie's colors. I hated my Good Fortune quilt which did follow her colors!....Substituting colors for Bonnie's can be confusing. Anybody got a system worked out for this?
If you'd like some help with how to choose alternate colors for a Quiltville mystery, check out the You Tube video that Bonnie and Holly Anne of String & Story did in 2018 for the "Frolic" mystery to get some tips on how and where to start. Holly Anne gives you a road map on how to approach your unique color picks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RLx...ature=youtu.be