Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 01-27-2021, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Here is my Grassy Creek, I wasn't certain if I liked the colors but I carried on and now I love it.
Looks fantastic! Your border fabric is awesome!
Old 01-28-2021, 04:29 AM

SuzSLO, I love your leader/ender quilt! I have not figured out how to do L/E....yet! Guess I need to research that.

Sewingpup-hope you heal quickly-sounds painful!
Old 01-28-2021, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
SuzSLO, I love your leader/ender quilt! I have not figured out how to do L/E....yet! Guess I need to research that.

Sewingpup-hope you heal quickly-sounds painful!
Jill: I’m no expert, but Bonnie has a short “how to” under her “Tips and Techniques” tab on her website: https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005...-and-hows.html

I was able to check a digital copy of her book out of my library as well. I think the best L/E are pieces you don’t need to pin, but I’m a pinned, even 4 patch’s, so I don’t let that stop me.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:52 PM

sewingpup: OUCH!
Old 01-29-2021, 07:41 AM

I was directed here after posting my progress on Bonnie Hunter's Grassy Creek on the Pictures forum, and was grateful for the advice as I didn't know it existed LOL. It has been so fun reading about everyone's progress and change in their colorways. I am too intimidated by scrappies to choose my own especially on my first real challenge to stretch my comfort zone. I have really learned a lot and was proud to be able to keep up each week. Everything came from my stash except the grays. I hope this will give me the confidence to be able to put more color combinations on my own for future scrap quilts. This is a picture of the center layout on our king sized bed. Right now I am assembling the rows, minus the borders, which I chose to strip piece on the diagonal like Bonnie.
bonnie-hunter-center-layout-resized.jpg
Old 01-29-2021, 10:11 AM

EmiliasNana, that's looking wonderful! I'm glad you found this thread!

I really like the look of the string-pieced border and am considering it as a possibility. I have my quilt top about halfway put together.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:17 PM

I'm seeing and reading some nice colors and will be waiting to see some quilts in the future. I'm just not into doing all the little pieces this year. Go girls!
Old 01-29-2021, 06:35 PM

Gorgeous, Emilia’sNana....
Old 01-29-2021, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
I was directed here after posting my progress on Bonnie Hunter's Grassy Creek on the Pictures forum, and was grateful for the advice as I didn't know it existed LOL. It has been so fun reading about everyone's progress and change in their colorways. I am too intimidated by scrappies to choose my own especially on my first real challenge to stretch my comfort zone. I have really learned a lot and was proud to be able to keep up each week. Everything came from my stash except the grays. I hope this will give me the confidence to be able to put more color combinations on my own for future scrap quilts. This is a picture of the center layout on our king sized bed. Right now I am assembling the rows, minus the borders, which I chose to strip piece on the diagonal like Bonnie.
Attachment 631341
I think your top is looking spectacular! Way to go.

Leslie
Old 01-30-2021, 03:54 AM

Here's a picture of the lap quilt I made out of leftover pieces from my version of Grassy Creek. I still have some of the little nine patches that I'm planning to use to frame an orphan block for a little table topper.
Attached Thumbnails vermont-spring-lapquilt.jpg