Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence >

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Old 01-02-2017, 08:57 AM

Oooo I've missed all the fun! Just found this link, a friend directed me to it. Thanks, Belfry. But as long as we are posting blocks, here is one of mine. Looking at it on screen, I think some of the blocks will be moved. I had between 8 and 10 different fabrics in most of the color groups, but had to buy some neutrals and lavenders. Still have not decided on the hibiscus! The bases for it are cut, but I am not a pinkish person, so don't know what I am going to go.
Attached Thumbnails img_2823.jpg  
Old 01-02-2017, 08:58 AM

Belfrybat - I like the lighter yellow too.

I've got all my clues done -now to start final assembly. I printed out the directions and had to come back and check out the layout. With a black and white printer, I'm not sure what goes where!
Old 01-02-2017, 09:15 AM

Judy - welcome. I'm not a pink person either (or a purple person), which is why I changed to blue and brick red. Red might go well with the purples and lavenders you are using.

If folks don't know, Judy leads the "Mystery Train" quilt mysteries here on the board. Her's are the greatest in that we move slower than the BH mysteries, which I appreciate.

Thanks, all, for your input. I'm going with the lighter yellow.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:54 AM

BC - I just went back and looked at your blues and they are fabulous, going to be a beauty. I am going to try a piece I found in the stash, sort of a reddish mauve-y pink-y background with some small pink roses. Wow, doesn't that sound like a strange color. Will dummy that up and see what it looks like. I am making myself crazy over the hibiscus! By the way this is the first mystery of BH's, or anyone for that matter, that I have done. Loved her colors so went for it, increased by 20% and will make a king. In for a penny, in for a pound LOL

And to everyone, Belfry is right, I do move a bit slower than Bonnie Hunter, and I do not make a huge quilt either, usually a table topper or lap quilt, but they can easily be made into large quilts. One of the gals who does my mysteries just whales right in and does 4 times the number of blocks if it is a lap, and makes a big quilt. So, on Saturday, the 7th, come to the Blocks of the Week and Month, look for #16 Mystery Quilt Train Ride and find hints for fabric selections. No sign up - just show up.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:13 AM

Belfrybat, I agreed with you! I'm doing blues too, but with orange for the magenta. For my yellow to give a good contrast to my green I had chosen a bright yellow. But at the reveal, I thought I didn't want my 4 yellow squares to stand out like sore thumbs (that's what it seemed to me)-- so I went with a pale yellow so it blends in with my neutrals, instead of drawing the eye. My green is constant, but I'll do scrappy yellow, with each block it's own 4 yellow squares matching. I also changed my clue 6 so that it was a QST with 2 greens and 2 neutrals. (Leaves me a bunch of QSTs to do something with!) I think that allows the other 4 pointed shaped star to show up more. I also changed my center of the star from the 4-patch neutral to one print, using it as a constant for all the blocks. I think I'll use the same print in the center of my orange stars, but didn't decide yet.
Attached Thumbnails block.jpg  

Last edited by givio; 01-02-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:21 AM

That is so pretty, givio! I love it!
Old 01-02-2017, 10:28 AM

Belfry I prefer the lighter yellow too, but don't know if I would change my mind w/ your "magenta"

Judy's mysteries are fun, I always lurk and usually end up making a few blocks for the Boom swap.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:03 AM

Gosh, everyone's ideas are great! It is so fun to read what everyone is doing/changing. It is going to be a cold and drizzly week here in Southern California, so I hope to get caught up on my Clue 6 and 7 blocks.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:43 AM

Started on mine but have a long way to go. Here's 3 of the 16 blocks and then will mix and match when they are all done. It's a start at least.[ATTACH=CONFIG]564804[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf3313.jpg  
Old 01-02-2017, 11:55 AM

Once I started laying out the blocks I find them too busy for me. I've made a few modifications but will keep looking at it.

Instead of yellow, I was planning to use tans. I'm not loving the tans so tried a really light yellow. You'll see it in the block on the right. I think I like the block on the left that has a light neutral instead of yellow.

I made a mistake in clue 6 and made QSTs from neutral and light aqua when it should have been navy and light aqua. I sewed a few together and put them in the sashing instead of using yellow. I think I like it.

Overall, the layout in the pictures fells simpler and cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails mq-1.jpg   mq-2.jpg