Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence >

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Old 01-12-2017, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
Bonnie put her green on the bottom when sewing her QSTs. If you do it that way you are not helping yourself nest the seams on the next step.
I found that the color on the bottom when cutting has to be on the top when sewing in order to get the seam facing the right way for nesting.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
I love seeing everyone's progress and variations. Today, I decided the four patch in the sashing just made everything look too chunky and as I was resewing I decided I didn't like the hourglass blocks in the sashing. This is how I think I will proceed. Note that some of this is sewn together and some is just new stuff laid on top of the blocks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]565507[/ATTACH]
Peggy,
I have decided I don't like the green, yellow and neutral quarter squares. So did you substitute a green square for those? This quilt is so busy it is hard for me to tell. I like yours and would like to do that as well but not sure if that is what you have done. Sandra
Old 01-12-2017, 01:20 PM

So pretty, Carol!

Looking good, JeanieG!

Pagzz, I think that is a good solution. I've seen several people using a single block there, and it works well.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
Peggy,
I have decided I don't like the green, yellow and neutral quarter squares. So did you substitute a green square for those? This quilt is so busy it is hard for me to tell. I like yours and would like to do that as well but not sure if that is what you have done. Sandra
I substituted a green square for the blue four patch in the sashing. I substituted a blue (my color instead of purple) tri recs unit for each of the quarter square triangle blocks in the sashing. This makes a blue star to counter my magenta stars but it is more subdued looking and it gives the circular shape to the quilt. Note, I copied the second idea from other posters here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565508[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20170112_153711.jpg  

Last edited by Pagzz; 01-12-2017 at 01:40 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 01-12-2017, 01:33 PM

Peggy, I love that green print in your sashing and the dark magenta is so striking against the blues. LOVE it!!

Emily - how is your father doing this week? Praying for a complete recovery and strength for all of you as care for him. Hospital times are so exhausting!
Old 01-12-2017, 01:43 PM

Thanks Carol. I just bought that green sashing fabric today as my ideas were evolving. It is such fun to sew with all of you for ideas, inspiration, and quick feedback!
Old 01-12-2017, 04:55 PM

That makes sense, Lisa, about the separation. Hopefully, when it is all put together, it will be cohesive. I don't have the imagination to think up substitutes for pattern units. I kind of wish I had replaced the 4-patches in the centers with solid color fabrics. I've got too much already sewn together to make any changes now.

Leslie
Old 01-12-2017, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ScubaK View Post
PODUNK PRINCESS!!!
I love your design wall!!!
I love it!!!
Kirsten
Thanks, Kirsten. It's handy having a large one (8' x 8'). My husband did a great job putting it together for me.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:27 PM

I finished sewing the last of the blocks today and got everything up on the wall. Now to decide how to sew the rows together. I've been reading everyone's comments on how they are doing it and need to decide which method will work best for me. After it "marinates" on the wall for a couple of days, I'll take another look at everything to make sure it's all where it should be and then start sewing again. I'm so ready to finish this quilt so I can work on other projects on my to-do list.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:49 PM

I just have about 40 somthing qst blocks to make. All my sashing strips are made, and all the 4 patch / hst corners that make up the corners of the blocks are put together. If I can get enough done to take to work w/ me Sat I can get a good group pic of them laid out.