Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence >

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Old 11-01-2017, 01:13 PM

kp3690, I think the top browns do look nicer with your corals and aquas.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:16 PM

Pretty much all of my coral are '70's prints. I picked up a bag full for only a quarter from my local thrift store. I have '30's retros in my blues too. I feel like I could do with more variety in my browns, some seems kind of flats to me, even though I have six prints. I have to go to Hobby Lobby next week for more fabric for another quilt (they say measure twice, cut once for a reason,lol!) and I will see what Browns they might have. A couple quarter yard pieces more won't break the bank
Old 11-01-2017, 01:37 PM

This was my first BH mystery and I just put the last stitches on the binding of my En Provence last night.
Whoo Hoo - just in time for the next mystery!

I still need to create and sew on a label, and I would like suggestions, please.

The quilt is a wedding gift for my daughter and her husband, now married a year and a half already.

My quilt labels typically include my name, date of completion, my current location ( we have had several moves ). I give small wall hangings a title, such as "Scrap Garden".

If the quilt was made to be gifted, I will add that persons name and reason, if appropriate, such as a birthday or infant date of birth.

I would like to just have the label include their names and wedding date, then my info.

Do I include the title, "En Provence" and add it was a Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt to give Bonnie credit?

Suggestions?
Old 11-01-2017, 01:56 PM

I put the name of pattern and designer at the bottom of my labels, so it would be 'En Provence pattern by Bonnie Hunter.' If you want to commemorate that it was the Winter Mystery Quilt for 2016 you could add that, too.

Congratulations on finishing your quilt!
Old 11-01-2017, 02:12 PM

It's a rainy day here, but thought I would try an inside photo of my En Provence.
Attached Thumbnails enprovence_11-17.jpg  
Old 11-01-2017, 02:36 PM

Nice En Province! I'm glad that the name this year is something I won't struggle with spelling correctly

I did a first selection -

and realized I'd plopped myself right in the middle of my comfort zone. And I thought it looked a bit too "same" for a scrappy quilt. So I headed back to my stash and dug deeper. I did find the coral zippers I'd bought a year ago that I could not find two weeks ago when I wanted to use them.

Here is the second go round. I went darker with both the aqua and coral, brought a bit more color into the neutrals but left the chocolate alone. Many of the corals are fat quarters, but I have enough different fabrics I won't need to use more than a fat quarter of any, so that should be a good mix.

BTW - in real life all the aquas are very much aquas - on my monitor the darker ones look blue.

Last edited by Macybaby; 11-01-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
kp3690, I think the top browns do look nicer with your corals and aquas.
Thanks for the input! That’s kind of what I was thinking too.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by pinkflowers View Post
It's a rainy day here, but thought I would try an inside photo of my En Provence.
beautiful!!!
Old 11-01-2017, 05:03 PM

I stopped at the quilt shop today to drop off some Linus Project quilts and looked around for browns. I found several that I liked. They are a little less warmy than hers, but I'm sure they will have a wonderful contrast with my other colors. I also bought a couple of neutral fat quarters.

And I splurged...I bought a couple color collections from the fat quarter shop in Aqua and 'Tangerine'. I can't wait until they show up! My birthday is in a couple weeks...so it's my b-day present to myself!
Old 11-01-2017, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I wrote to the admins yesterday requesting permission to start the new thread; I don't know how long it usually takes to hear back from them. Once we have permission, anyone who likes can start the thread, and I think it will pretty much run itself from that point on.
Joe's Mom - I think it would be a great idea if you follow through with starting the new thread this year when permission is obtained from admin. My work schedule is too busy right now to keep up with it this year. I pass the baton to you.......LOL.

Last edited by Podunk Princess; 11-01-2017 at 05:26 PM.