Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence >

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Old 11-01-2017, 05:39 PM

I'm sorry you won't be available, Podunk! We will really miss you!

I think I come across as kind of brusque and bossy when I post, and someone with a warm and welcoming style would be better. Would anyone like to take the lead this year?

Macybaby, those photos are a real eye-opener! I always want a bunch of fabrics that look like your second photo, and I always end up with a bunch of fabrics that look like your first photo, LOL!
Old 11-01-2017, 05:56 PM

I love that dandelion brown fabric, but I think the top group of browns look better w/ your other fabrics.
Originally Posted by Kp3690 View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]583248[/ATTACH]Can I have opinions on my fabric please? I find brown extremely hard to work with. I actually like the 2 bigger pieces at the bottom, but they don’t seem to have quite enough warmth to match the paint chip. I also don’t have enough of just those 2, so I am thinking of using that smaller square as the 3rd. The horizontal browns at the top are my other choices. Thanks for your input!
Old 11-01-2017, 06:18 PM

I plan on joining in on Bonnies Mystery this year and will follow along with all of you here on QB. I did not do the En Provence, but printed out the directions for my bucket list. I love that quilt! This willl be my second MQ. I love the colors this year, so I will stick to the colors Bonnie has suggested. Love Aqua and Coral.
@osewme - download or print out clues each week (pattern) and make it later after you see the reveal. That's what I did with En Provence and hope to make that one some day.

Last edited by D.Henson; 11-01-2017 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Add more text
Old 11-01-2017, 06:30 PM

For those of you who like Bonnie's colors, but don't have much in your stash, Whittles Fabrics has put together fat quarters again this year. whittlesfabrics.com
Old 11-01-2017, 06:42 PM

@katybob - that's great! Thanks for the information. I just looked at the fat quarters. They look spot on. Very convenient for those who do not have a lot of stash to shop.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by D.Henson View Post
@katybob - that's great! Thanks for the information. I just looked at the fat quarters. They look spot on. Very convenient for those who do not have a lot of stash to shop.
So smart of them to make a collection! I bought these from Fat Quarter Shop. I'm not sure they are 'exact', but combined with my stash I think these will be fun to work with. (Plus they will work in my stash even if they don't work in the mystery.)

https://www.fatquartershop.com/tange...quarter-bundle
https://www.fatquartershop.com/aquam...quarter-bundle
Old 11-01-2017, 09:48 PM

These are some of my options. Each group would need some enhancement. For the purple/gray/pink group I need more purple and pink. I'm not sure about the brown/blue/gold group. I thought the golds might work but looking at the picture I might add pink or coral. There might be enough in the blue/coral/yellow group to make a half size quilt. I'd use a very light background on all three, possibly just one fabric.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Last edited by quiltsRfun; 11-01-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:55 AM

@katybob, thanks for that link. I was having a great deal of trouble with the coral, so I ordered Whittle's coral group. I've ordered from them before and been pleased.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:38 AM

I am not much of a pink lover, but I think your best group is the first pink / purple group. Second choice for me would be the last blue and brown group.
Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
These are some of my options. Each group would need some enhancement. For the purple/gray/pink group I need more purple and pink. I'm not sure about the brown/blue/gold group. I thought the golds might work but looking at the picture I might add pink or coral. There might be enough in the blue/coral/yellow group to make a half size quilt. I'd use a very light background on all three, possibly just one fabric.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:41 AM

quiltsRfun, those top corals are beautiful!

I think with each of your fabric groups, it might be hard to get enough contrast between the lights and a neutral. In fact, looking at the photos, it struck me that the lightest group in each photo could represent the neutral (excepting those darker grays). So for each group, you would just need to bring in another color.

I think the corals and grays in the first photo look very nice together. Same with the blues and browns in the third photo, but have you checked that photo in black and white, to see if there is enough value difference between the blue and brown? What if you brought the peaches from your second photo down to the bottom group?