Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence >

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Old 11-30-2016, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I've been dithering about joining this one. Since moving to my apartment I've not done a lot of quilting as I no longer have a dedicated area. Every time I try to do a project it looks like an explosion has taken place in a fabric store! I envy people who can sew neatly. However, since I have a huge stash I really need to pare down, I've decided to deal with the mess and go for it. Someone earlier posted a different colourway I liked better than Bonnie's, so under the guise of imitation being the best form of flattery, I'm going with blues instead of purple and deep red instead of magenta. I tried to find a neutral with some movement in it since I'm only doing one fabric per colour. I hope this one works.
ETA: the colours are richer than the pic shows - the flash washed the colours out somewhat.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]562976[/ATTACH]
Good to see you. Yes--go for it--a mess is a small price to pay for the pleasure of making a quilt. I live in a very small house, so I understand. Great fabrics!
Old 11-30-2016, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

So happy to see more quilter's joining the fun! Belfrybat, I like your color choices. If you could take a look at my dining room you would run. I have fabric all over the place, my sewing cabinet is open and ready (taking up more space), Ironing board set up on counter....and I don't care! Just so happy to be doing this mystery and so glad you are joining in.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Good to see you. Yes--go for it--a mess is a small price to pay for the pleasure of making a quilt. I live in a very small house, so I understand. Great fabrics!
Same here in a small home so understand the no room to hide the mess situation.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:05 PM

Well, I had another neutral in my stash that I like, so instead of a one color neutral I decided on Bonnie's alternate suggestion of two fabrics for all the four patches. Just getting started on them but here is what they look like. And I found it much easier to spin the centers than I thought. My first new skill on this quilt!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]562978[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 11-30-2016, 07:43 PM

Thanks to everyone for sharing pictures and advice.

This is my first Bonnie Hunter mystery. I decided I wanted to see if she gave a definition of neutrals and was happy to find info on her thoughts of what neutrals looked like to her. I also paid close attention to the fact that I should be putting the floppy side of the seam through the machine first. I usually try to do this but after reading this info from Bonnie, I watched how I fed them through. I still had a few that didn't want to swirl properly but I'm satisfied with getting almost all to swirl.

I have 223 4 patches. I don't plan to make a quilt her size but figured I could use the leftovers for a different project. I am thinking either two quilts about 40 by 45" or a quilt about 60 by 80" like someone else mentioned.

Connie

[ATTACH=CONFIG]562979[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 11-30-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:01 PM

Ok, I'm gonna start in the shallow end of this pool and try half of Bonnie's large size. It is very difficult to be a lurker on this thread. No one to tell you all the slots are filled! So you have drawn me in. Only until I see if I can keep up. Everyone's 4 patches are wonderful but my ADD brain doesn't do scrappy without a fight. So I went with structured scrappy. Hope to finish my fours on Friday before I look at the next clue. Ha, I'll probably be checking it at 645am.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]562982[/ATTACH]
Not 100% with my magenta but I have enough of this to make the Statue of Liberty a bath robe so thought I'd see if it would work so I could deplete my supply down to a bathrobe for me, maybe!?!?!
Attached Thumbnails img_1864.jpg  
Old 11-30-2016, 09:25 PM

Retired teacher, love your 4-patches---great selection of neutrals! Last year was my first BH mystery, so you are in good company.

GramE, love your colors and glad someone else is doing the "just 2 neutral" four patches too! I think your magenta will provide just the right pop of color! Love your bathrobe analogy!!

so glad there are so many of us joining in this year!! I have 4 quilts going right now, so will probably be dragging up the rear of this group!!
Old 11-30-2016, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Retired teacher, love your 4-patches---great selection of neutrals! Last year was my first BH mystery, so you are in good company.

GramE, love your colors and glad someone else is doing the "just 2 neutral" four patches too! I think your magenta will provide just the right pop of color! Love your bathrobe analogy!!

so glad there are so many of us joining in this year!! I have 4 quilts going right now, so will probably be dragging up the rear of this group!!
Jeanne S, I just finished my third Boom in 5 months, I have more UFO's than Area 51!
Old 11-30-2016, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by GramE View Post
I have more UFO's than Area 51!
LOL!! I'm gonna have to remember that one!
Old 12-01-2016, 12:10 AM

GramE, I am swooning over your neutrals. So gorgeous!

I successfully twirled today! Thanks to everyone who explained and encouraged!