Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence >

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Old 11-29-2016, 04:18 PM

Holly, I agree with SewBizGirl - the light one in the bottom right corner is too light but would work great with the neutrals. I like the other two for the dark purple. I really want that magenta! I am having trouble finding one I am happy with.

Enjoying seeing everyone's fabric choices and all the 4-patches. I thought I would be farther ahead than I am. I know, I know - it isn't a race but I just thought I would be whipping through those easy-peasy 4-patches and I would be done in no time, but it hasn't been the case. Guess I better quit "oohing and awing" over everyones' fabric choices and 4-patches and get to it. Happy 4-patch sewing, everyone!
Old 11-29-2016, 04:22 PM

My neutral drama may be over. I think this fabric set will be my neutrals, who would have thought a simple black / white would be so difficult. My fabric stores are so limited guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do more online fabric shopping. I am also thinking about adding or changing to my yellow (white) w/ the cat fabric. Not finished w/ the 4 patches but here is a look of how it's coming.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0464.jpg  
Old 11-29-2016, 05:25 PM

KalamaQuilts, Congratulations! I'm impressed. I wish I had that fortitude! When I want to sew something to keep for myself, I usually buy a little of this and that on sale. Most of my fabric was given to me, and I love to sew to share it or donate it on account of that.

Kassaundra, Your cat fabrics are darling! I have some of that circle gray fabric, and I like it a lot. Your quilt is certainly going to be unique! :-)
Old 11-29-2016, 05:50 PM

Kassaundra, those 4-patches look fantastic! I think the plain white pops better than the cats.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I've been on the fabric wagon since 2001. If I ever fall off the wagon I hope it is near a shop with nothing but neutrals
I never get tired of looking at everyone's take.

I'm doing 1/4 size this year, made 60 4 patches
Do you have an orts jar this time?
Old 11-29-2016, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

Ready for clue 2! I have about 120 crazy 4-patches ready for my half sized quilt.

Really like your blackish 4 patches, Kass... with your other fabrics they are perfect. Love all the cat fabrics too.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:48 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Has anyone figured how many (what percentage) units we should make for say a lap size. I seem to recall BH said make half for a smaller one but what is smaller?
Old 11-29-2016, 08:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK View Post
Has anyone figured how many (what percentage) units we should make for say a lap size. I seem to recall BH said make half for a smaller one but what is smaller?
Half the units should be safe. You can always make adjustments later.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:32 AM

Being a bystander just got too much for me! All I could think about was joining in the fun, so I will be making a half size I'm trying to make it on a buget, so every fabric is from my stash. I'll be using greens/ light teal in place of the purples, a red wine color for the green, a buttery yellow for the yellow and a black and pink floral for the constant. And I found a really pretty neutral for my two-toned 4-patches, which I hope to finish today. I hope I have enough of the constant! I really don't want to buy a special ruler, so I was wondering if any of you veteran mystery-makers know if Bonnie will have suggestions for alternitive methods for the triangles, like the magic 8 method?
Old 11-30-2016, 07:08 AM

So glad you're joining in, NZQuilter! I've done two mysteries before this, and each time, Bonnie has given instructions for those not using the recommended rulers.