Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence >

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Old 11-28-2016, 10:10 AM

Got them done (with some extras--when will I learn to count?).
Attached Thumbnails resized-neutral-four-patches.jpg  
Old 11-28-2016, 11:38 AM

Sew pretty.

Thinking this mystery will be beautifulest

Kassaundra, I love your Allietare! Great finish! Mine is awaiting binding.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Story - I bought a nice, no steam iron that I loved, but DH knocked it on the floor. I thought it was Ok but turns out something in the thermostate got broken, and it was staying on heat all the time. Not sure how hot it was getting, but it was hotter than it would normally be on high.

For 100% cotton, it was great! It was pressing really fast and nice. I started working on a scrappy project with poly/cotton in it - and started having serious shrinkage/melting problems. So I took out some of the fabric and it was OK - switched over to another and changed my thread to a black poly. Ironed that and melted the thread! At least I had not sewed much as everything ironed came apart. Looked the iron over good, and realized it was starting to melt through the rubber insulation around the wires where they entered into the iron. DH took it apart and said it was not salvageable.

Working with poly is fine, but you can't use a really hot iron on it with satisfactory results LOL!!
I work w/ other fabrics besides 100% cotton, depending on the project but I didn't want to putz w/ a "special needs" fabric, especially on a project that would be as iron intensive as a small pieced mystery quilt.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by BonnieI View Post
I love your pink fabric. I waited too long to order the Triangle tool. I'm anxious to hear if you like it.
BonnieI-My local Joann's had 2 or 3 hanging in the quilting section. EZ Quilter brand, but the same tool. PM me if you still need one and I will check for you.
BTW - what's up with this board!?! The last lines I typed would not take the spaces between words. I had to go back into the line and add them. These sentences are doing fine.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:46 PM

Beautiful neutrals, Angelia. I love how you have intermingled the varying tonalities. I wish I had thought to do that with my initial strip pairings.

I have sewn and pressed my strip pairs and matched them up for the 4-patches. Now to get cutting and sewing!
Old 11-28-2016, 02:56 PM

I am joining in. Didn't know about this group until is was mentioned over at members swaps and round robins. My fabric is all selected and I will make my neutral squares this week. Most of the fabric will be Batiks.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:22 PM

Default fabric pull

Hello all,

This is my first mystery quilt. I considered doing Alletaire last year but didn't like the color scheme. I ended up loving the end result and hope to make one someday. To be honest, I'm not a fan of the color scheme this year either, but I am going to go give it a go anyways.

Here is my fabric pull in both color and black and white. Please let me know if you think there is something I should leave out or change. I'm not sure on the three purples in the bottom right corner. I'm leaning towards getting rid of the batik on the left and the very light one that reads almost neutral. I think I might add that middle purple to the row of dark purples.

I've just started to cut my neutral fabrics into strips and I know I will end up needing more.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]562902[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]562903[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pull_color.jpg   pull_bw.jpg  
Old 11-28-2016, 06:22 PM

Clue #1 is done. Whew!
Bonnie's colors in batiks.
Attached Thumbnails clue-1_11.28.16.jpg  
Old 11-28-2016, 06:29 PM

Holly I think your colors look good. Fraew the batik 4 patches look good.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:33 PM

Holly, what a stunning group of fabrics. I think that's the best magenta I've seen. I think all of the fabrics you mentioned will work just fine, so I'd keep it just as is.

Gorgeous, Fraew!