Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence >

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Old 11-25-2016, 06:53 AM

I am excited to start. Looking at the first clue I was initially disappointed that we weren't digging into our delicious colors and I've just finished a quilt top of mostly lights and neutrals, but I then remembered that I had a gallon zip lock bag with lots of neutral 2 inch strips and now I'm ready to get working.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:10 AM

One thing I've never been able to get the hang of is twirling the seams. I did check out that link to Bonnie's tutorial, but it doesn't really explain what to do. Can someone please describe how you do the twirling?

I love the idea of the neutral 4-patches. I don't have a huge variety of neutrals pressed, so maybe will bring in some additional, maybe some grays?
Old 11-25-2016, 07:44 AM

Here's her link for clue ONE.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2016/...art-1.html?m=1
Old 11-25-2016, 07:56 AM

Kassaundra, As the first clue is for the neutral 4 patch unit, maybe you should mix the pin dot with the solid and see how you like that in a few blocks. Do you have different textures in solid black or is it all one piece?

This year I am stretching my skills and doing a leap of faith. A BH Mystery is outside my quilting comfort zone. Most quilts I do are planned, not scrappy. I generally use only 4 or 5 basic fabrics, with a focus square or theme. I like to use Charlie Brown collections or some such for kid quilts. The friendship and BOOM block swaps are where I get my scrappy blocks. I appreciate those blocks for the relationships as much as the sewing skills the blocks represent.

Happy sewing to all!
MJ
Old 11-25-2016, 08:14 AM

joe's mom - I find it easier sometimes to pick out a stitch or two on the seam allowance in the middle where the 4 patch comes together, especially if I've used a small stitch. This allows the fabrics to separate and lay down better when you press the seam. "Twirling" the seam reduces the bulky lump that forms in the center. What should happen is the 4 seam allowances get pressed so they lay in a clockwise pattern, not the center seam pressed to one side with one side seam pointing up and one pointing down, or even pressed spread flat. Think "pinwheel". It makes a small box shape in the center. Now, when the 4 patch is added to another block the seam allowances will lay in a clockwise direction no matter which side is sewn to the other block.

Hope that helps. Cheers!
MJ
Old 11-25-2016, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by All2Pieces View Post
Kassaundra, As the first clue is for the neutral 4 patch unit, maybe you should mix the pin dot with the solid and see how you like that in a few blocks. Do you have different textures in solid black or is it all one piece?

This year I am stretching my skills and doing a leap of faith. A BH Mystery is outside my quilting comfort zone. Most quilts I do are planned, not scrappy. I generally use only 4 or 5 basic fabrics, with a focus square or theme. I like to use Charlie Brown collections or some such for kid quilts. The friendship and BOOM block swaps are where I get my scrappy blocks. I appreciate those blocks for the relationships as much as the sewing skills the blocks represent.

Happy sewing to all!
MJ
That is what I had come to decide too. I have a black / dark grey small "splotch" I had wanted to use but didn't have enough, so I think I am going to make my 4 patches 2 pin dot, one splotch, one solid black. The pindot is very subtle from "viewing distance" since I am using a medium dark grey for my green I really wanted to watch that my black didn't appear to grey from "viewing distance". Sitting here looking at them as I type, I may remeasure and see if I have enough to just do pindot and splotch.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:13 AM

Thank you, All2Pieces! Can't wait to try it.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:14 AM

YAY for the scrap savers system! I went to my 2-inch strip bin and found a dozen strips already cut. Best of all, they were different than the neutrals I had pulled for this quilt. More variety, less work. Thank you Bonnie!
Old 11-25-2016, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

This looks interesting I think I might copy the clues and work on this slowly.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

I'm glad the first clue is so easy. Once I get all those four patches made I will have enough invested to continue.
Her new book is 50% off at Connecting Threads today! I don't care about other's political opinions in the quilting world. I will decide where my money goes if the opinions becomes rants.

Last edited by Onebyone; 11-25-2016 at 11:22 AM.