Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence >

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Old 10-30-2016, 06:35 AM

Miss Rita, what beautiful fabrics. The darker yellow seems to bring the group to life.

I ordered half yards of several magentas last night. Only one is a true magenta. The rest I would characterize more as cerise pinks. I'm so excited to see them!
Old 10-30-2016, 06:41 AM

I've followed Bonnie's mysteries but never done one. All you early bird enablers have me thinking this is the year to jump in. Beautiful fabrics you've chosen.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:40 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

My purples, lavenders, magentas, and neutrals are done, but I need more greens (my greens are too blue) and yellows. And maybe a single magenta instead of a mix. Like Alice, will wait until final choices are made to post a pic. And, darn it all, the day after the first clue, I leave for Orlando for bridge nationals. Well, wouldn't be the first time there was a sewing machine in my hotel room.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:47 AM

I didn't have any purples or magenta so I'm thinking maybe blue with red constant. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails dscf4689.jpg  
Old 10-30-2016, 09:38 AM

dmarie, I think it's a great combination.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:30 AM

Here are my fabrics. I didn't get the paint chips, but I think the colors work together. The constant I chose is only 1 1/4 yards long, so I have to be accurate with my cutting, which is always a challenge for me!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]561305[/ATTACH]

Everything came from my stash. Hurray!

Leslie
Attached Thumbnails en-provence-fabrics.jpg  
Old 10-30-2016, 11:05 AM

I love seeing everyone's fabrics!

dmarie and audsgirl, your greens and yellows are close in value. One thing Bonnie mentioned was having a good contrast between the yellow and green. Do you have any darker greens you could add? Otherwise these look great to me. Love the blues, dmarie.

I've decided to go with the Provence colors. I'm really drawn to the dark warm greens with the purples. Here is what I've pulled from my stash. I probably won't be able to use some of the large print lavenders. I will look for some small print pinky lavenders and a few more purples, maybe a couple of dark yellows. Will have to wait for the magentas to come in the mail.
Attached Thumbnails imgp2321_fotor.jpg  
Old 10-30-2016, 11:27 AM

I'm feeling the urge to use some recycled shirts for this year. Will have to color pile them to see if there is enough contrast
Old 10-30-2016, 11:44 AM

Beautiful choices so far ladies! What I love about Bonnie's mystery quilt is the PROCESS and my personal evolution along the way.
My first thought was that I don't have many purples in any shade, but there is that bag in the back of the closet that has purple and yellow florals (think pansies, daisies, irises in packed florals). Ok, so maybe this year I will only use one fabric per color... but one of the things I most admire about Bonnie's designs is the way the many shades/genres/values play with each other!
So I think maybe this is a way to go outside my comfort and since I am shopping for fabric anyway, I pick up a few other lavendars and purples (so much for using the stash right? LOL) but in my mind I am thinking I want another packed floral for the hibiscus/magenta constant and I find one online.
When it comes in, I will ponder this evolution some more. Isn't this the best fun? :-)
Old 10-30-2016, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I love seeing everyone's fabrics!

dmarie and audsgirl, your greens and yellows are close in value. One thing Bonnie mentioned was having a good contrast between the yellow and green. Do you have any darker greens you could add? Otherwise these look great to me. Love the blues, dmarie.

I've decided to go with the Provence colors. I'm really drawn to the dark warm greens with the purples. Here is what I've pulled from my stash. I probably won't be able to use some of the large print lavenders. I will look for some small print pinky lavenders and a few more purples, maybe a couple of dark yellows. Will have to wait for the magentas to come in the mail.
Thanks for your input. Sometimes the camera sees what you can't. I think your right.