Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence >

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Old 12-14-2016, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
letawellman, why won't single colors (1 purple, 1 lav) work for clue #3?

Looking lovely, Paggz!

Beautiful purples, AngeliaNR!
Well, in the first clue, Bonnie did specifically mention how many 3 1/2" squares to make if you're using a single color... but not with this batch of 4-patches.

I'm off to the LQS after work today to pick up my Designer 1 (she went in for some TLC), so I'll get some more lavenders (and maybe even purples) then.

But I think I'll also make up a stack of 3 1/2" squares just to mix in with the 4-patches.
What do y'all think?!?

Last edited by letawellman; 12-14-2016 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by pennycandy View Post
I like that it's only one clue per week. I can work at a slower pace if I'm struggling with a clue. It's also given me time to finish a couple of Christmas projects.

This has been an interesting project so far. At first I was going to use one fabric per color and make it 1/4 size. As the clue have been presented and seeing photos of all the scrappy combinations, I've switched to multiple fabrics per color and thinking of making a half size. Now I've run into a problem with my green choice. I'm not a fan of yellow greens so I went with a green blue teal. When I washed it, I discovered it was much thinner than the other fabrics and I'm not going to include it. Now I'm debating on what to do. If I stick with the teal I found one fabric that works. If we need to go scrappy, I'm not sure what to do. At this point I'm debating subbing another color for the green.
I have seen people go scrappy with some of the colors, and stick with a single fabric for others. I think that would work just fine.

letawellman, if you could find a purple fabric that had variation with light and dark areas, I imagine using squares could serve the same purpose as the 4-patch. I think the 3 1/2" squares weren't offered as an option for this clue because the dark purple and light purple each represent a separate color in the quilt.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:40 AM

pennycandy, I'm using only one green fabric throughout. It doesn't have to be scrappy. Do what you like! It's your quilt. :-) I'm interested to see how it will look with only one fabric for the green pieces in the pattern. I have a constant orange, and if I have a constant green I think that might look nice. I'm only doing scrappy for the yellow, neutral, light blue, and dark blue.

ScubaK, Spinning the seams is just moving the fabric at intersections to create less bulk. It makes the quilt top easier to quilt in those areas. It's a construction option in the method of sewing that Bonnie apparently likes and that's why she says to do it. If you don't want to do it, then don't-- it's not going to make a difference in the pattern.

lettawellman, It's a mystery if your plan to make some 4-patches and some whole 3 1/2" patches will look good or not. lol Try it at your own risk! At the reveal, you may be changing your mind on it. :-) If the 4-patches create a running diagonal line in the overall pattern layout, then a 3/12" square wouldn't achieve that effect.

Last edited by givio; 12-14-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:38 AM

You can use one 'constant' fabric for each color or as many (or few) as you like. I had planned only one fabric for each color until I saw the first clue, and added one more neutral. Using only one on all the others--1 dark purple and 1 light purple.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
Well, in the first clue, Bonnie did specifically mention how many 3 1/2" squares to make if you're using a single color... but not with this batch of 4-patches.

I'm off to the LQS after work today to pick up my Designer 1 (she went in for some TLC), so I'll get some more lavenders (and maybe even purples) then.

But I think I'll also make up a stack of 3 1/2" squares just to mix in with the 4-patches.
What do y'all think?!?
Why would she say anything about 3-1/2" squares for this clue since we are to make four patches from purple and lavender (two different colours)? Use one purple and one lavender strip together and make four patches. The 3-1/2" substitution was so those who were using only one neutral didn't cut it up to make four patches of identical fabric. And no, I wouldn't suggest making purple or lavender 3-1/2" squares unless Bonnie says to or after the reveal. Her pattern might depend on four patches and not work with solid squares.

Last edited by Belfrybat; 12-14-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:26 PM

I totally agree, Bellfrybat. I think Bonnie has a plan with the four-patches where the light and dark combo are nessasary to the pattern.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:25 PM

Love this thread and working on the Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt this year. Since I'm fairly new to quilting, I'm finding all kinds of useful advice on these "threads". I find quilting is excellent therapy too and I must have needed alot of it since I finished all week 1, week 2, and halfway through week 3! I'm not sure I like my earlier efforts at triangle in a square though, I may go back and restitch some of them. Like everything else, I got better at it as time went on.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/d...lt-b13041.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]563762[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]563763[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails week-2-progress.jpg   week-3-progress.jpg  
Old 12-14-2016, 01:38 PM

ddtrina, The first picture sort of looks like a strange Christmas tree growing there. Such a pretty ironing board cover!
Old 12-14-2016, 01:52 PM

Thanks givio, I made the ironing board cover out of left over fabric from the last quilt back I did. And your comment about the Christmas tree made me laugh, I always wanted a Christmas tree in every room in the house!
Old 12-14-2016, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
That was because the purples were two different colors and supposed to be scrappy. But... if you'd rather sub one purple 3.5" square for each 4 patch, the numbers will be the same. One for one...