Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 12-02-2021, 03:41 AM

Here are mine! Ready for the next clue.
Attached Thumbnails 1130211203_resized.jpg  
Old 12-02-2021, 05:37 AM

Just out of curiosity, how many of you are striving to have completely different fabrics for each of the HST sets? I have only seen a couple posts where one fabric of each color was the preferred choice vs scrappy.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many of you are striving to have completely different fabrics for each of the HST sets? I have only seen a couple posts where one fabric of each color was the preferred choice vs scrappy.
One year I stuck to as unscrappy as I could and was not happy with the end result. It looked boring to me so now I try to get as many different fabrics in there as I can.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
I try for scrappy because I love scrappy. I probably won’t be able to achieve a different fabric for each set even doing only half the sets. I have less than a dozen garnet fabrics, and will likely do repeats when the clues call for that color.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Suz and Sandra- love your blocks!
Suz- I've been quilting for years and still manage to make mistakes all the time!!
Old 12-02-2021, 07:52 AM

For this step, I made no more than 2 of each fabric, I have fabrics that I haven't used yet in both purple and pink. Usually in my scrap quilts I have a limit of around no more than 4 of any given fabric.

I am using all solid white for my neutral. If there is string piecing with some of it, I do have a limited supply of white on white fabrics, and a few white/light prints, especially with pink flowers and such.

I think I will be ok with the 4 Garnets, even though that will be a lot of repeats... I can always ask my Tuesday group ladies for contributions, but I try to stay really true to my goal of "all out of stash".

Old 12-02-2021, 08:57 AM

I am one who is not going all scrappy - although I am using several fabrics in the same color way. As much as I love seeing all the fabrics others are using and I love the look of past mysteries with the use of a variety of fabrics, I know I am too ocd to try this myself. This is only my second BH mystery (as a group effort) and I loved last years' mystery - so looking forward to this one and being part of this group.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:13 AM

Part 2 -- bring out the geese!
https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2021...-part-two.html
Old 12-03-2021, 06:42 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default Any advice

If any of you have advice as to what dies you might use, please Pm me
For those of you who use the 4 at once method, is it accurate or is there lots of trimming to do?
FYI: BH has again reminded us to not post units on gridded mats or near rulers.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK View Post
If any of you have advice as to what dies you might use, please Pm me
For those of you who use the 4 at once method, is it accurate or is there lots of trimming to do?
FYI: BH has again reminded us to not post units on gridded mats or near rulers.

I prefer the 4 at a time method, and yes there is trimming down. I use the Deb Tucker wing clipper and I can’t imagine making geese any other way. However, if you have Bonnie’s essential triangle tool I have found that to be accurate as well provided your seam allowance is good. I find making one at a time tedious, and I am not a huge fan if chain piecing, so the 4 at a time is my preferred method.