Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 12-03-2021, 07:18 AM

I can't help with the 4-in-1 method, my usual favorite method is the rectangle and two squares. For the start of my cutting I'm going to be using some of my leftovers from the last round, some of my fabrics came to me as 10" squares via fabric swapping way back around Y2K. I made 2 units last time and have a strip large enough to cut 2 pink triangles this time, but not enough for 2 rectangles. The way I do the cut large and trim down is to cut the large triangle correctly, and then I oversize the two smaller ones.

I can say that the measurements she gives for cutting a square in an X to make four geese (you want the X and not the diagonal cut so the long straight edge is on grain and not bias), is the correct/standard size. As are the measurements for the rectangle/square methods. They are true sized -- just be aware if you are using strips for the large triangle to measure so you snub off the top of the triangle just like she shows in her pictures -- if the top is pointy you will be scant.

Old 12-03-2021, 07:28 AM

A fun, pretty clue -- and Bonnie always manages to pique the curiosity!

Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK View Post
If any of you have advice as to what dies you might use, please Pm me
For those of you who use the 4 at once method, is it accurate or is there lots of trimming to do?
FYI: BH has again reminded us to not post units on gridded mats or near rulers.
If I recall correctly, my 4 at once method geese (not the cut large trim down version) would tend to be somewhat wonky and small, but usable. I've decided my best, quickest geese are made with the traditional method (cut the squares for the quarter square and half square triangles), sewn with a scant 1/4" seam and trimmed with the Deb Tucker ruler (love that ruler!).

Old 12-03-2021, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

I bought that ruler she has featured so I'm going to give it a whirl. Iceblossom, thanks for posting the new clue.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:13 AM

It's Bonnie who posted, I just repeated it And grats on the new tool for your collection and using it too.

Yippeee! When I actually went to the cutting table the scraps are just big enough to be used as rectangles. Today's goal: Cut the pink pieces.

I might get to some cutting of the yellow or neutral but doubtful, and then I'll be drawing lines. I have a lap tray and do the drawing while watching tv. I know some people who can sew straight across without the line but not so much me!
Old 12-03-2021, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

I'll let everyone know how I like that tool. Quilt in a Day had it at a very good price so I grabbed it. I'm not usually a fan of specialty tools but have a few I really like.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:42 AM

I normally do the rectanagle and squares method for my geese. I normally like to add another stitch line and get the scraps sewn together right then.....I picked that up from the Good Fortune quilt along. I seem to find plenty of uses for my bonus half square triangles. Now for the but......I recently made Block a week quilt that did the triangle method Bonnie is demonstrating. My blocks turn out really well and it was actually easy after I adjusted to the new way of doing things. I need to sit down with my fabric and decide!
Old 12-03-2021, 11:50 AM

Good wonderful sunny warm day. I just love the fabric choice I’m seeing from you all. Last week I cut my strips to ?” And marked the blocks and triangles. I do the slow older method. I had planned to use her ruler, but forgot to order the ruler. So I ordered the ruler last week for next year. My system; cut a strip and get as many sets out of that as I could and pick another color and do the same. I know I have enough cut out, just not sure how many of each. Tomorrow I plan to cut out this weeks step/clue. Then I will sew both steps together and trim all during football Sunday. I have 3 football teams I follow and that’s a great time to be pinning or cutting fabric and still watch the games.
- I’m one of those who is slowly working on last years project. The 30 blocks are sewn now. I figure by the end of the year it will be completed. At least that’s my plan right now.
- I’m wondering how many of you plan to do the Quilkmaker and Bonnie Hunter mystery this next year? The clues will be in the quiltmaker magazine each issue next year. I’m planning on following along. At least it will be at a slower pace.
- happy sewing/quilting everyone.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:48 PM

Is anyone using Accuquilt dies for this one? I'm so frustrated. I just made three using the Stitch & Flip method. Then I measured them in trying to convert them to the die. I thought I had the measurement correct but they're not measuring up to the three I just did. I'd appreciate it if someone would PM me which dies they're using.

Meanwhile I'll go ahead and try these dies anyway because I know one of them has to work!

TIA!
Old 12-03-2021, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by jemedwards View Post
Is anyone using Accuquilt dies for this one? I'm so frustrated. I just made three using the Stitch & Flip method. Then I measured them in trying to convert them to the die. I thought I had the measurement correct but they're not measuring up to the three I just did. I'd appreciate it if someone would PM me which dies they're using.

Meanwhile I'll go ahead and try these dies anyway because I know one of them has to work!

TIA!
If you read todays clue, she does give both the finished and unfinished sizes of the geese. I think the easiest way to find which die to use would be to go to the Accuquilt site and make sure you are using the correct die, this way you know you have the correct die info for the necessary unit. Don’t forget to share your progress cause we all love seeing what other are doing.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:49 PM

I have tried to use the dies for the flying geese in the past and I never could get them correct. It got so frustrating for me so gave up. They were always too small, even with doing a scant quarter inch. Now I just do the method of 4 at once. I found I had a Wing Clipper ruler so am using that to square them up.