Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-02-2022, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

I've started putting blocks together and really like the way they look. I have to be careful because I already had some parts sewn wrong and of course got out my seam ripper. I need to slow down!
Old 01-02-2022, 05:20 PM

platyhiker, your question reflects my feelings about my fabric choices so far. When I started this one, I was pulling whites that were mainly white or soft white backgrounds as opposed to the deeper creamy neutrals. Then when Clue 4 (hourglasses) came out, I could not resist using some leftover triangles from another quilt in teals and somewhat darker neutrals. Now I am worried that the hourglasses are going to look "heavy" so I may wait for the finish to see how it will play out. I really like the teals with the pinks and like IceBlossom, I'm not committed to any particular aqua, so I may go with a different color there to pull it all together.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:23 AM

Once again I feel like a rebel. Im on a self imposed fabric moratorium and will keep that promise. I really like BH mysteries but didn’t have the right colours. I have very little pink and no garnet so I went way out of my comfort zone. I am lousy at choosing colours but determined to make this from stash. My hsts are leftover from Frolic. I used a green I want to get rid of for the hourglasses but didn’t like it in the centre for the latest clue so went rogue with a floral that I bought several years ago on a whim.

All my blocks are the same due to limited pinks but I did go scrappy on the neutrals.

Attached Thumbnails 7b4a7a6b-dd52-468e-9f33-b4781a7fe6d9.jpeg  
Old 01-03-2022, 09:55 AM

Janie: your fabrics look lovely together!
Old 01-03-2022, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Janie- I love that! You are certainly not "lousy" at colors!
Old 01-03-2022, 10:02 AM

JanieW, I really admire your stand on using what you have! I think these look beautiful, and good call on the block center!
Old 01-03-2022, 11:49 AM

JanieW -- I like your choices and think it's a fantastic way to use up those extra pieces from Frolic. I was pretty mad at the time we made all those extras...

Are you going to be adding an aqua-equivalent, or is that the large scale leaf in the background?
Old 01-03-2022, 12:09 PM

SuzSLO and SusiQ, Thank you for the encouragement and kind words. I don’t think the colours in the flying geese are quite right but they are from what I had.

joe’smom, thanks for that. If I can’t keep a promise I made to me then who will I keep one for?

Ice blossom, I thank you too. I have an aqua the same as the darker pink so will likely use that. Depending on what it’s for I might use the floral that I fussy cut for the centres, but leaning toward the aqua. The large scale leaf in the background is on the other side of my hi tech “design wall” aka the backside of a cheap picnic table cloth. 😂😂😂

I’m so in awe of all the fabrics and colour choices from you all. Well done everybody!

Old 01-03-2022, 12:17 PM

JanieW - Absolutely love the green hour glasses and the floral block center. Seems to me you did a pretty good job in the fabric selection.
Old 01-03-2022, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Janie, I haven't bought a thing for this mystery. I told myself NO. I just happen to have a lot of pink. You did a fine job.
I'm taking a break for a few minutes. I am plugging along and things are going together nicely. But I have a long way to go.
Is it January 7th when the new clue comes? If so I need to get busier haha