Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-11-2022, 07:59 AM

Another musical interlude for those that may need one -- especially working on this step or the previous one making all those hourglass units in the first place... Still not "the"song for this top, but girls with guitars even if in softer way than they usually are.

Call them butterflies, and listen to Heart with Dog and Butterfly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpoP4YSFKGA
or
lyrics/apple play
https://genius.com/Heart-dog-and-butterfly-lyrics

she had to try!
Old 01-11-2022, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

Good grief! I thought we had to make 80 of these blocks and I was frantically looking for the rest of my hourglass blocks!!!
What was I thinking?
Old 01-11-2022, 08:50 AM

It's a question of accepting the extra fabric in these blocks because the points are not too bad, or take them apart to get rid of the extra waves in the neutral fabric but risk taking off all the points. I think I'm going to leave them as they are and hope that it will be fine once it's quilted and washed. On to the next clue.
Attached Thumbnails rt-clue-7.jpg  
Old 01-11-2022, 09:06 AM

Woodland: I think they look great. That easing will almost certainly “quilt out.”
Old 01-11-2022, 09:57 AM

Woodland -- Those will be easy to quilt out, your 9-patches are a little tighter than mine and you only have a tiny amount in the rectangles. My extra was mostly in the 9-patches.

Susie -- hope you got yourself stopped in time! I'm still kicking myself on cutting twice as much fabric as needed and getting most of the work done on the first stage of the hourglasses. No wonder it was taking forever and seemed liked such an impossible task.

For this round, I got confused in my head with the number of blocks we made last round... they are not equal amounts!

Notice, in my unhappiness levels I didn't even mention the extra seams in my blocks...
Old 01-11-2022, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

Has Bonnie shown the final design yet?
Old 01-11-2022, 10:57 AM

sewbizgirl, no, no reveal yet. It's a more relaxed pace this year. Maybe Friday.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:15 AM

Those hourglass units are so cute! I have finished the cutting of those. will start stitching as soon as I finish pressing the last 10 or so of clue 3. Yep, still behind. I was tempted to move on to clue 5, but I think I want the stitching of clue four behind me!
Old 01-11-2022, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

I caught my miscalculation before I did anything else, thank goodness. Doing 20 blocks sounds a whole lot better than 80 doesn't it? I didn't even think about how huge it would have been with 80 blocks! lolol
Old 01-11-2022, 12:22 PM

No need to edit and the numbers clearly posted by Bonnie, but we still try to not mention actual numbers. So hard sometimes. And yes, it sounds so much better!

I caught my mistake in the initial hourglass round as soon as I started pressing -- but I didn't start that until all the extra cutting and most of the sewing had been done.

This time I caught my error a bit earlier but not after cutting and stitching had been done. Whew, I'm glad it was an easy fix. I will say that 10 of my blocks have no seam on one side. I'm ok with that.

It's too bad I already made my back for this project... those extra cuts could have gone into that. The "nice" thing is that I have a large number of HST ready for trimming/use, whether to make hourglasses or to use as is. I do have a couple of stacks of each white and garnet squares. I have a couple of ideas on how to use them, currently they have been counted up and put into sets in sandwich baggies which are all in a gallon baggie.... I am trying to think of them as a present to myself and not slap myself upside my head with the bag.
Attached Thumbnails 100_6272.jpg