Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-11-2022, 01:12 PM

SusieQoH, I’m thinking you are subconsciously working on the next mystery in your head. lol. I have done that. I make too many sub pieces in the past. I just made extra blocks and create a charity top or table runner to match the quilt.

I’m working on part 3 & 4 today and cutting out pieces for steps 5-7. It’s going to take a few more days to get through step 4. So it’s happy jumping around until all gets done. I figured out I need to find more background fabric. Unless we don’t have much big fabric left to use.

Last edited by happylab; 01-11-2022 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Correct sentence to make sense
Old 01-11-2022, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

happylab- if you can figure out the inside of my crazy head you're quite amazing!! And you're probably correct.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
No need to edit and the numbers clearly posted by Bonnie, but we still try to not mention actual numbers. So hard sometimes. And yes, it sounds so much better!

I caught my mistake in the initial hourglass round as soon as I started pressing -- but I didn't start that until all the extra cutting and most of the sewing had been done.

This time I caught my error a bit earlier but not after cutting and stitching had been done. Whew, I'm glad it was an easy fix. I will say that 10 of my blocks have no seam on one side. I'm ok with that.

It's too bad I already made my back for this project... those extra cuts could have gone into that. The "nice" thing is that I have a large number of HST ready for trimming/use, whether to make hourglasses or to use as is. I do have a couple of stacks of each white and garnet squares. I have a couple of ideas on how to use them, currently they have been counted up and put into sets in sandwich baggies which are all in a gallon baggie.... I am trying to think of them as a present to myself and not slap myself upside my head with the bag.
Oops- you're right. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:01 PM

Well I did three of the last clues blocks over again. A few of them lost their tips but I am leaving them. Had some time today to do some on the embroidery machine today. Nice to be caught up! I sent my sister pictures of her blocks in the garbage and she was saying "Oh no, leave them" I tried to rip them out to use some of the squares and it just wasnt working. Ready for Friday and hopefully the aqua! I am so curious how the geese will come into all this.
Attached Thumbnails 0111221846_resized.jpg  
Old 01-11-2022, 07:28 PM

All of your blocks look great and it's been so much fun watching this project come together in so many ways.

Iceblossom - your baggie of baggies is so exciting - who knows what "cousin" will be made out of those HSTs? Maybe matching pillowcases? Maybe a whole new project? So much potential!
Old 01-11-2022, 08:13 PM

Sandra P - That photo is stunning. I now officially love all those garnet “butterflies”!

Iceblossum - I am sure those HST’s will be really wonderful to have ready to go sometime. I used all my left over pieces from Good Fortune will some UFO blocks last winter to make some cute baby blankets that I probably never would have finished if I had to create something more from scratch.

I finished Clue 6 and was able to cut Clue 7 out. I finished one block because I needed to see what mine will look like.
Attached Thumbnails 2762ed0f-1d83-48f5-9bdc-662528bc983e.jpeg  
Old 01-12-2022, 04:08 AM

Thank you for the kind words everyone! Mumto2, love your block! This is so much fun with all of you each participating in different ways. Gemm, some good ideas. I have some left over from a previous mystery quilt. I have tried to count how many pieces are going to be in this quilt so far and keep coming up with a different number.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
I have tried to count how many pieces are going to be in this quilt so far and keep coming up with a different number.
As with most BH quilts- its in the thousands. LOL. If my math is right...
Block A has 33 pieces each totaling 990
Block B has 44 pieces each totaling 880
Then you still have to add in the flying geese, other units cut but not yet utilized, and of course, those aqua pieces -maybe coming this Friday,
Old 01-12-2022, 08:10 AM

Isn't it so much better sharing than isolated? Thanks all for your participation in the project and in the thread -- big round of applause for all! And yes, that includes those who haven't started yet and even some that don't intend to.

I've been thinking of what to do with those extra HST and was playing with my pieces this morning (counts for my daily sewing fix). Tthe Ruby McKim Rose pattern I was thinking of really needs 3 colors and not just two. But it is always so fun/amazing on what triangles can do, especially with a few squares to dance around.

I do have another project I could use them on, at least for the back. I found this Tumbling Blocks top at the thrift store and 3 of the garnets I had were stored with it because they were large pieces in the correct color ways. Don't think I want to mix the HST on the top, but there is a back with it as well -- the current one is more brown than the front colors but does have some of the colors. I'm sort of notoriously known for changing large long pieces of quilts at the last moment -- borders, bindings and backs sometimes get put on and taken off again at the last minute...

But anyway, I date this top by the color way to early 80s. Which also dates a lot of my fabrics there too. The Tumbling Blocks are all cotton, but the border is a rather flimsy cotton/poly blend. As the quilter put the blocks together, for the best visual effect one of the long sides should be the top, and so it just sort of doesn't look right no matter which up/down you put the rectangle on the bed. I can understand why it didn't get finished.

I wanted to take off the existing border and add something the correct weight of fabric and a bit larger than what is there, maybe making it much more true queen sized. I have less fabric now, but probably enough to do something with what I still have left, at least one of the pieces I used has enough yardage to do maybe at least a 6" border all around.

So funny, found a shot showing some of the options include at least one of the garnets!
Attached Thumbnails 100_5789.jpg   100_5791.jpg  
Old 01-12-2022, 08:33 AM

It's taking me a long time to cut out the fabrics for my A blocks. I will finish the last two today, then I hope to move on to cutting my clue 4s, and then beginning sewing clue 4 and my B blocks. I hope I can start sewing before Friday. Can't wait for Friday to get here!

I'm going to be about three short on my block As, but will hold off on cutting those until I know for sure if I'm doing the full size.