Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-12-2022, 06:58 PM

I can’t wait to see what comes next! I am still not done with clue 7 but I am close. I had to quit with all the blocks partially done with a large number only needing the last side. I should be able to finish tomorrow as long as life (my family) let’s me sew tomorrow. I did finish a few and laid them out like Sandra P’s picture. Mine didn’t look like as finished hers.......it’s those sunflowers. They really do a great job tying the garnet with the other colors. Bring on the blue/aqua!
Old 01-12-2022, 07:49 PM

I hope we don't need any more background fabric for the next clue. I have about 1/2 yard left. I was able to use majority of it for 2/3's of all the blocks so far. I can't wait for the green/aqua colors. I'm getting tired of seeing pink/yellow and blue/purple. Well, the blue/purple not so much. As soon as I do the hourglass blocks, I will snap a pic and post.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:44 AM

Tomorrow, tomorrow, we will start the day tomorrow with a brand-new clue!

Sing along with me. It's hard to wait. I am hoping also Queenbarbiej, that we are close to the end of the neutrals. I'm a little anxious since I went with a solid single neutral.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:56 AM

Mumto2, I was not sure about those sunflowers but I like them now. Feels good to be almost caught up doesnt it? I always have a hard time picking out the neutrals and those should really be the easiest ones. This time I had some leftover Christmas ones that have a nice sheen to them that you cant see in the pictures. Toverly, I am with you! Can you hear the harmony/backup singing I am doing along with you? Just have to find something else to keep me busy today. Hubby was in for a colonoscopy on Monday and I was sitting in the parking lot waiting and went scrolling through my phone and ordered a quilt kit that is supposed to be here today. It is Tonga Blooming Fields by Wing and Prayer. I did one by them called Forest Floor for our king size bed and love it. We use it every night. This one is 108X108 and instead of the BOM I got the whole kit at once. Kind of excited for the mail to get here so I can ohh and ahh over the fabrics in it. I think they are batiks, cant quite remember. This has been the most friendly and exciting group! I love how everyone has been so encouraging and fun.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:25 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

I agree this has been a very friendly and encouraging group. Thanks everyone for all your enthusiasm. That said I am not caught up and I don’t think I will be by tomorrow morning because I am going out to help my daughter-in-law babysit for our great grandchildren. No complaining from this end! She has just gotten over Covid and is still a little weak. I said I would come and help chase after the little ones. I love the slower pace and creating the blocks as we go so much better than having a bunch of little pieces and then having to do it all at once at the reveal. I don’t even mind doing things in sets anymore. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!
Old 01-13-2022, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I also appreciate all the support. My only other BH mystery wasn't fun for me (not because of the people but the pattern). I'm so glad I gave it another go!
If I can I will finish my clue today. Just one more seam to go.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:22 AM

This has been a lovely group to be part of. Honestly I hate to see it end because it has been something that was just right for me at this moment. Some quilt enthusiastic friends and a bit of accountability and commiseration if needed.

I am short on neutral background from my kit also......a few strips ranging between 2.5 and 4 inches. So I am hoping we are done with neutrals or at least the pieces needed start with 2.5 inch strips!

Sandra P I looked at the quilt kit you ordered and it will be beautiful! I hope it arrives today. Before 2020 I always bought my fabric in person and I weirdly love the “waiting for my package” feeling I get from my online ordering. I have a package coming too....not today because it still hasn’t shipped but soon. I am looking forward to seeing my colors irl for a jelly roll to use for Florence Flamingo. I have wanted to make a large version for several years and have been looking for a fabric line that suits my tastes. Grace by Moda might be it! I also added a mystery box of moda fabric quarters for fun.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:15 AM

Mumto2: I agree I like the anticipation of waiting for that box to arrive on my doorstep. And I probably too addicted to mystery fabric. I have done well with a Moda scrap bag and several scrap collection from Hancock’s. The Moda scans were the equivalent of poorly cut jelly rolls for a single collection. I have used some of almost all of the fabrics, including some neutrals in this MQ. The scraps from Hancock’s were much larger (at least half yard each). I used many for sandwich’s to practice FMQ and have used many of the neutrals for this project.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:27 AM

Mumto2, with a name like 'Florence Flamingo,' I had to look it up. So pretty!

I can hardly believe the week actually went by. Tomorrow will be so much fun. I'll be truly shocked if we don't see that aqua in the morning.

I've finished cutting my A blocks and the 85 garnet squares, and have a plan for my clue 4s. I hope I can make good progress cutting today.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:04 AM

I agree that this group has certainly made my first plunge into the BH mystery waters a pleasure.

Sandra-P: love that kit. Back in November I got fed up with fabric all over the place, and spent way too much time re-ironing, refolding and reorganizing my stash. Six weeks later, I vowed not to purchase any for the rest of the year. So I’m trying to content myself with living vicariously through others! Make sure to let us know when it arrives.