Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-17-2022, 12:58 PM

Think I'm pretty much done with my layout, what I'm calling "random" but "purple scattered throughout" is probably a better description. I could fiddle endlessly at this point so I give myself a time limit. If I go back in after this coffee break and nothing screams at me as wrong, then it's good enough

I'm pretty good at twisting and turning (and understanding!!) the butterfly blocks by now. Again, I could fiddle forever about fabrics being "too close" or I could just go along for the random ride.

Once the blocks are labeled, I'll switch to deciding on the aqua-equivalent.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:45 PM

I had decided at the beginning that I would only do about a third of the blocks, and do more at the end if necessary. As it turns out, I had to double the number of A blocks that I need in order to get the size and layout that I wanted. I guess I know what I'll be doing for the next couple of weeks. As there is nothing else that needs my immediate attention, it's all good.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:09 PM

A corner of the quilt center is finished! The sashing is almost twice as wide as the original pattern because the larger sashing should fit better with the pieced border. Very happy with it!
Attached Thumbnails img_1388.jpeg  
Old 01-17-2022, 04:44 PM

I waited until after the reveal, and decided to use the two basic blocks, with a different layout and some color swapped around. Got it all cut out on Saturday, and spent Sunday sewing. An at the trimming stage before assembling the blocks. I'm really liking the colors.

Attached Thumbnails imgp5473.jpg   imgp5476.jpg   imgp5478.jpg  
Old 01-17-2022, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

SuzSLO- that's beautiful!
I need to put mine aside for a bit. My niece has to have open heart surgery and I want to make her a quilt. I'm going to do a D9P. She'll like that. They had to postpone the date though d/t Covid overwhelming the hospital she's going to

Last edited by SusieQOH; 01-17-2022 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:30 PM

SusieQOH, I'm sorry your niece has to go through that ordeal. I'm sure the quilt will mean so much to her!

SuzSLO, your quilt is looking beautiful! Your 'redder' garnets are really pretty!

Macybaby, it's amazing how quickly you work!
Old 01-17-2022, 06:27 PM
Power Poster

Thanks, joe's mom- she's a sweetheart and when I asked her what colors she chose blue and yellow so I'm going with those and white. She's in for quite an ordeal and this should help her.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Thanks, joe's mom- she's a sweetheart and when I asked her what colors she chose blue and yellow so I'm going with those and white. She's in for quite an ordeal and this should help her.
So generous of you to make your niece a quilt. As a veteran of an open heart surgery, my advice is to make a matching “heart hugger” pillow cover. Very important because just as you start to feel better and can laugh again, you realize how much it hurts to laugh! Hugging a pillow really helps.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:15 AM

I am always so amazed by those of you who actually do start after reveal or who make multiple projects! For me it's easier to know that yes, there will be lots of little triangles in the future than committing to knowing the nature and number before I start.

Suzslo, I also considered widening the sashing but I am constrained by the back I already made to not go much larger than planned. I think I have the room but I'm going to keep it to the as-designed.

As I've been playing with my blocks, I'm finding again that the starkness of the solid white is coming to play and I am so far much preferring having my sashing a full blown solid than even a subtle reads as solid as Bonnie suggested. Think I have my decision made (a color very close to her darkest aqua) but I'll bring things to Tuesday group to get opinions.

Yay! Tuesday Group!! I've been self-isolating with the Hubby's covid and this is the first time I have seen the ladies since before Christmas.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:25 AM

Have fun at your Tuesday Group Iceblosson! Everyone’s pictures are inspiring me to get back to working on Rhododendron Trail. Really great pictures everybody! I started working on a pretty basic heart quilt for the living room because I would like the have it ready before Valentine’s Day so it can be used a bit this year! After a month of only sewing blocks with many pieces my heart and 4 square quilt is coming together really quickly.