Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-18-2022, 05:10 PM
Power Poster

Sandra, that looks so nice! I like the way you assembled the hourglass blocks. Beautiful!
Old 01-18-2022, 07:14 PM

Sandra-P, that is going to be one gorgeous quilt! Your pink shades are wonderful.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
Here is mine so far. I am not turning the hour glass blocks. Just made it look too busy for me
Hi Sandra - love your yellow sunflower fabric! Really makes it look like the garnet centres are glowing on fire :-).

I too chose to not alternate the butterflies to reduce the "busy-ness" - tho I think this one of Bonnie's is the least busy of the ones I've made to date, lol.

Last edited by Siodach; 01-19-2022 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:24 AM

Thank you for all the compliments. I was concerned about the sunflowers but I think they really make the quilt now. Siodach/Kate, I have to tell our fellow quilters here about us. We met on the Quilt Board when I posted a question before my husband and I went to Scotland. We met up with Kate and her husband Ron. We stood outside our hotel one night, waiting for them to meet up with us and my husband said " Do you realize we are meeting up with people we know nothing about, getting in their car and going places we have no idea about?" I said yes! Isnt it great! We gave them our descriptions and it wasnt long before Ron, Kate's hubby came up to me and said in his Scottish brogue, " If I asked you if you were a quilter, would you say yes?" Lol, I had very long red hair and that was the description of myself I gave them and they were able to pick us out of a crowd of people. They are wonderful, good people and we enjoy a friendship with them. Of course when we again went "across the pond" we met up again a few years later and picked up right where we left off. Kate has sent me some incredibly awesome boxes over the years full of the most wonderful surprises. Her friendship means the world to me!
Old 01-19-2022, 05:40 AM

What fun Sandra-P. I would love to meet up with some of y'all. Everyone from all over. Happy Sewing Y'all, Love the sunflowers, they work.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:04 AM

What fun! The first people I met from "on line" were quilters. That was back in my early internet/pre-Y2K days. Some I met on a board first but were local to me. One of the other people was from Australia and she and her husband of course came to visit us here when they were coming to America anyway. And then I met my husband on line in a game, that was back in February 2001 and we've been together in real life since 2003.

I'm still going back and forth on my sashing choice. I took them to group, everyone liked the print that I had already said I just wasn't really happy with -- but they couldn't see the distance view with it. I'm down to 3 choices now -- the solid aqua that is pretty much identical to the colors Bonnie used, the "bright splatter" print that everyone likes, and yesterday when I was searching a new strong contender came up that I hadn't considered before, my bolt of what I call "Olfa Green". Hadn't thought of it before because it wasn't stored with the solids (still being on the bolt).
Old 01-19-2022, 06:45 AM

And here's pictures of the choices. The blocks I'm playing with are one of the corners.

The darkest, my "olfa green" is the current fav. Then you have the Bonnie aqua, and then the print. I found that the more olive/avocado colors worked nicely. The lightest solid just wasn't strong enough against that stark white (I had used some of that and over-dyed/did other things with it in my Frolic top)/
Attached Thumbnails 100_6282.jpg   100_6280.jpg   100_6281.jpg   100_6284.jpg  
Old 01-19-2022, 06:50 AM

Oops! That looks like the avocado green and not the olfa in the first picture.

Since I'm posting again, the last shot is the light one -- so it is the darker one here that is my current fav.
Attached Thumbnails 100_6279.jpg   100_6283.jpg  
Old 01-19-2022, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Iceblossom, I'm with you on the Olfa green. Your blocks look great!
I cut my strips 1.5 by mistake but I have a lot of the fabric I'm using so it's okay. I just recut them.
I'm working on my niece's quilt at the moment but it's going fast. I want her to have it when she comes home from the hospital.
I'll get back to BH soon.

Sandra- what a wonderful story!
Old 01-19-2022, 07:09 AM

SusieQOH, How sweet of you to get that quilt done for your niece. She will love it. Iceblossom, I like that green also. I havent started doing anything with mine today yet. I put the sashing on the sides last night with glue so can do a quick chain sewing with them today.