Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-10-2022, 09:25 AM

It's exciting to read about everyone's progress!

I made a course change yesterday. At first I thought I would use colorful neutrals with my garnet QSTs and gray neutrals with my block As. But as I sorted through my neutrals, I found myself setting aside colorful ones that went with my block A fabrics, and now I'm planning to use my colors with the A blocks and my grays with the garnet QSTs. I'm doing things in a not very efficient way, cutting all the fabrics for my As block by block, as well as the extra garnet squares. I will then cut the clue 4 QSTs. I'm holding off on clue 2, as we haven't seen how those will be used.

I was thinking about what Bonnie said in the intro about the aqua. She strongly urged us to use a tonal with no discernible pattern, and said that scale of print would be a problem. That suggests really small pieces to me.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:26 AM

Is anyone planning on doing the quiltmaker & Bonnie Hunter mystery this year?. Is it legal for us to do a QAL thread on the QB? I question that because a person needs to have a copy of the Quiltmaker magazine. I know I can get a free checkout from my library on my I-pad, etc. we have e-book, etc library access. Just curious.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by happylab View Post
Is anyone planning on doing the quiltmaker & Bonnie Hunter mystery this year?. Is it legal for us to do a QAL thread on the QB? I question that because a person needs to have a copy of the Quiltmaker magazine. I know I can get a free checkout from my library on my I-pad, etc. we have e-book, etc library access. Just curious.
There have been sampler QAL threads that require having a copy of a book, so I don't see why you couldn't do one for a quilt that requires having a copy of a magazine.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

Here is my prediction (for me): There is no way I can finish this clue by Friday. And then I thought "why am I in such a hurry? It's not a race!"
Old 01-10-2022, 11:04 AM

Is no race and there are still several days before the next clue. And almost a whole year before the next mystery!

I'm taking a break before my last set of connections, but here's how my blocks are coming out. I'm ok with my level of pointy-ness and connected-ness. Less happy about the excess fabric but it will be ok when quilted...

We've had threads about naming quilts, I'm just calling this the Mystery Quilt, but I'm closer to having a song for it! I've been listening to a lot of guitars, and specifically girls with guitars. This isn't the song for this project but if you need a musical interlude here's Wynonna singing Mary Chapin Carpenter's Girls with Guitars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzws_NufcNM
or
genius lyrics/apple play
https://genius.com/Wynonna-girls-with-guitars-lyrics
Attached Thumbnails 100_6271.jpg  
Old 01-10-2022, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

Iceblossom, those units look great!
I'm chain piecing. I decided that would help me get through all these units. It's helping me keep them the right order. My second unit was wrong! I had the maroon going the wrong way. Oh well!
Old 01-10-2022, 11:50 AM

Iceblossum: Enjoyed the musical interlude (and the video was great). Your blocks look great. The excess fabric will probably resolve itself when you quilt it.

Here are my blocks, more or less, completed based on my glass half full quilt plan, through clue 7.
Attached Thumbnails img_1380.jpeg  
Old 01-10-2022, 06:51 PM

I just twigged that there are 7 clues now and I am finishing clue 6. Lol. I have five more units to finish and will be ready for part 7. I really need to get caught up as I want to make a Valentine themed quilt but am afraid if I stop this one I might not pick it back up for quite awhile! So here are my blocks for clue 6. I am not fond of the light pinks but ran out of the bright pink and had no more in my stash that wasn’t part of a plan for another quilt. I think they will be fin with proper placement.

Attached Thumbnails 44409dc3-2de7-418f-801a-272406d89e27.jpeg  
Old 01-11-2022, 05:48 AM

Oh my! I love everyone's blocks! I think sometimes when we keep looking at our own we get too "used" to seeing them and then pick them apart. I am redoing 3 of mine, in clue 7. My eyes went right to the ones that had flaws and I decided to just redo since I am caught up. Suzslo, yours are so pretty, they make me happy to look at. Mumto2, the lighter pink gives your blocks movement, I like them and once added to the whole quilt I am sure they will be beautiful to you.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:48 AM

Mumto2: Your blocks are fabulous. The light and bright pinks play well together and will add lots of motion to your quilt.

Sandra-P: Thank you. I love the pinks. I added some different(and darker) neutrals to Block B and am glad to see they still work with Block A. I expect that I will need to make at least one more Block A (I am doing half, which means I have made a somewhat random number) and plan to incorporate some of the darker neutrals in that process.

Last edited by SuzSLO; 01-11-2022 at 05:53 AM.