Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Old 12-09-2022, 09:29 AM

Although I've followed along on the last few BH mysteries, I haven't made any, but I thought I might try it this time, making it half-sized and using constant fabrics in her colors but more towards medium pastels. I went to Hobby Lobby this morning and found almost everything I was looking for except a peach I liked. I did find a multi-colored that went well with the turq. and lavender, and a background with tiny multi-colored squares. I'll still probably wait for the reveal before I start cutting and sewing, to be sure I like the pattern, but I'm all ready.

Attached Thumbnails chilhowiefabrics.jpg  
Old 12-09-2022, 09:39 AM

geevee, I am using that same purple that you show in your picture along with a few other purples. I just made one set of the third clue using the 8 at a time method. My Accuquilt unit and dies are in Alabama, so for now I am making a few units of each clue.

Love seeing all of the different colorways that are being shown, they are going to be some beautiful quilts.

Cheese
Attached Thumbnails img_0118.jpg  

Last edited by Cheesehead; 12-09-2022 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:43 AM

Sorry to shout but MAJOR ERROR IN CLUE#3! Twice as many units are needed as the first clue published this AM. Instead of sets of Y hourglass identical units, you need 2 times Y hourglass identical units.

Bonnie is working on a correction, but I don’t think it is published yet. The link I posted earlier no longer works. I’ll post an update when it’s back up.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:11 AM

I was so thrilled when I saw that lavender purple Cheesehead, it is exactly the shade I was looking for.

I wondered why there was nothing on the part 3 page when I went there after posting here, Suz, thanks for the info.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:52 AM

Welcome, geevee, I hope you decide to make the quilt!

Because your values (dark/light) are the same for all of your colors, your quilt will be very low contrast, apart from the neutral. I think it will be a lovely, soft effect, but just wanted to make sure that was your expectation.

I must have missed the uproar over the clue! I've decided to make four different sets. I'll have to go make those corrections on my print-out.

Old 12-09-2022, 11:24 AM

Here is the updated and corrected Clue 3: https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2022...art-three.html

As I explained in the prior post, basically you need to make twice as many units as stated in the clue published first thing this morning.

Just a note that the earlier link is back to working and directs to the correct instructions. So if you weren’t an early bird, you should be good.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:27 AM

geevee - love your fabric. As Joe's Mom said, it going to be very low contrast, but I think your multicolored fabric may give it a bit of spice!
Old 12-09-2022, 12:14 PM

I really like all of the units/ colours you are posting. However, these new units are awfully tiny. I'm beginning to regret my decision to do the mystery this year. There are some years her units are larger and I enjoyed making those quilts. So I'm going to reassess before I cut any more fabric. But whatever my decision I surely will follow this thread to see all your lovely creations.
Old 12-09-2022, 02:19 PM

Thanks joe'smom and woodland creature, yes, I wanted low contrast and a less-busy look (which is hard to do with a BH mystery lol).
Old 12-09-2022, 09:22 PM

Got 1/6 of clue 3 finished. 4 pieces for a 2 inch square! Her reputation for tiny pieces is proving true. And this piece requires accuracy.