Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Old 01-27-2023, 08:52 AM

I've been making quilts since 1970, those traced and cut and stitched by hand because that was what we knew.
I really loved hand quilting until my hands gave out and we had pretty much zero disposable income back pre-80's.
So my early quilt out put was slow. Enter rulers and cutters and man...all of a sudden I Love to piece and enter unquilted tops

With the new love of piecing, and passion for applique (which I can't do any more either because of eye problems) I switched to small pieces and intricate applique, and made big quilts which often took a year.
But eventually I can say I do have Enough bed quilts but that doesn't alter the passion for working with fabric. So in the last 8-10 years, I've switched to twinish quilts and double sided them and quilted them myself without batting, and used them across the bottom of the bed. Dog quilt, bed runner, whatever, gives me another opportunity to see my pretties.

All that siad to say, I have enough, but... I'm still making them Probably will never make a king size again though, the bed runners are too much fun. 60X80 ish.

Today I pulled out a 1/4 finished paper piecing project I'm never going to get back to and diverted the fabric into my scrap bins and big binned the finished parts. Life is short. And I want to sew!

Old 01-27-2023, 10:38 AM

I finished Chilhowie! My version is a little different. I plan to use it in my DD's room.
Attached Thumbnails mychilhowie2023emailsize.jpg  
Old 01-27-2023, 10:57 AM

Your version is quite lovely! Congratulations.
Originally Posted by Stitches23 View Post
I finished Chilhowie! My version is a little different. I plan to use it in my DD's room.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:21 AM

spam reported.
Stitches, 10 thumbs up, well done!

I've trimmed up all my scraps and cleaned off the cutting table and sewing machine table. Still need to change needle and rotary blade. But I'm ready to finish the BitCoin for the reverse side, won't take long as I made most of the components
on vacation last fall.

This is the total amount of the throw away scraps, in a tall Iris vase , some years I have to really mash it down to make the scraps fit! And this has to go down in history, I didn't use Mr. Seam Ripper once, although I tore off a lot of 1.5" pieces by hand. I sew with a 2.0 stitch so I can do this quick rip, something I learned from Bonnie in the QuiltCams.
Attached Thumbnails cuttings.jpg  
Old 01-27-2023, 12:50 PM

Stitches23, that is a very striking finish! Congratulations!
Old 01-27-2023, 01:53 PM

Stitches: Your quilt is fabulous! I love the changes you made.
Old 01-27-2023, 02:01 PM

Stitches - your quilt is really wonderful. I like the solid stars a lot!

Kalama - I also learned to quilt in the late 70's. Took a night adult class at a high school nearby. I can relate to the trace and cut! We sewed on the line, that is what made it accurate! My arthritis in my hands makes it almost impossible to do any hand sewing at this stage in my life (I am 80). I sew my bindings by machine now too.

There are so many variations on this pattern, and depending on the colors used, so many things pop out that you don't expect. I am loving it. I sewed the final border on my quilt last night. The wind has been blowing here so much I will have to wait a few days to get a picture to share. I'm afraid I stuck to Bonnie's colors and design this time, and only did 1/2 the blocks. I did have to make one more block to get a nine block setting. It will make a nice lap quilt! I am like Kalama and don't need any more queen size quilts. I have several of her past Mysteries in flimsy stage, and just need to quilt them.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:19 PM

Just for fun, here is picture of our Golden Doodle, Josie, who I jokingly blame for my slow work on this mq.
Attached Thumbnails img_1461.jpg  
Old 01-27-2023, 03:23 PM

Some really fun finishes lately, Kalama and Stitches! Nice work!
Old 01-27-2023, 05:16 PM

Stitches23…wow….excellent finish. It is really beautiful…

Josie is beautiful, too!